PDA

View Full Version : Scented acacia species.

artme
4th June 2016, 07:48 PM
Today I milled some pieces to turn muddle sticks for our son.

One piece I chose was an acacia which I thought was purple gidgee.

Not anywhere hard or dense enough but the odour was gorgeous!!
Can't quite put my finger on it but it has a soft and not too sweet odour.

The borers were into it well and truly but I wi;; get a stick from it.

springwater
4th June 2016, 09:33 PM
Pretty sure that "raspberry jam" is an acacia?

artme
4th June 2016, 09:54 PM
Pretty sure that "raspberry jam" is an acacia?

Not raspberry jam, that I know because i have a piece and the smell is quite distinct.
As the name suggests it does smell like raspberry jam.

this piece I cut today has a soft and very pleasant odour. I just can't put my finger
on the smell - perhaps violets??

Luke Maddux
4th June 2016, 10:11 PM
I've definitely heard it described as violets more than once. I had some drylands acacia a while back that, as far as I'm concerned, was indiscernible from Gidgee in every way except that smell. I never found out what it actually was and eventually just gave up trying to figure it out. Maybe this was the same stuff?

I know that the stuff I had turned out very nicely.

Cheers,
Luke

dai sensei
4th June 2016, 11:39 PM
Photos?

Toymaker Len
5th June 2016, 01:04 AM
The weeping myall (acacia pendulata ish) has a very nice vanilla type scent. It might be that.

John.G
5th June 2016, 01:53 AM
Knew we'd covered this somewhere:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f14/scented-timbers-198996

If its not on the list and you figure out what it is can you please add it?

That post really needs to get stickied with the timber identification one, it took some finding.

Kidbee
5th June 2016, 02:40 AM
I grew up in Brigalow country and remember the sweet scent of the timber when it was cut. Could it be Brigalow (A. harpophylla)?

Luke Maddux
5th June 2016, 07:51 AM
I grew up in Brigalow country and remember the sweet scent of the timber when it was cut. Could it be Brigalow (A. harpophylla)?

FWIW the stuff I mentioned in my post was very similar to Brigalow. It had the scent and it had the pitted bark, but the wood was too dark and too finely grained.

Not sure about the OP's stuff. As Dai Sensei said, it would help to have some photos

artme
5th June 2016, 07:05 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts fellas. I don't have a photo as yet. Don't think it would help anyway.
Once coated with CA the whole lot darkened and the pinkish/purplish tones became dark brown
just like UV exposed timber of this sort does.

Not Brigalow as it is not hard enough and the colour is wrong.

The timber is fairly light in colour - pinkish to purplish. Turned it and enjoyed the odour!!

Fairly faint smell and certainly not vanilla.

I remember Boree being described as having a violet odour, but which Boree? apparently
there are several acacia species labelled Boree.