PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Top End Woodturners

dai sensei
5th June 2016, 04:03 PM
As some of you would know I am on yet another trip venturing far and wide collecting timber and calling in on various woodworkers along the way (See http://www.woodworkforums.com/f125/darwin-time-205082).

Anyway, I seem to have lost my list of NT members :o. I am currently in Katherine but heading out to Daly River then darwin next week. Eventually then back to the Gold Coast via Tennant Creek/Mt Isa/Longreach etc.

If anyone would like to catch up please message here, in the main travel thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f125/darwin-time-205082), and/or send me a PM with your contact details.

Cheers
Neil

Tim Creeper
6th June 2016, 12:10 PM
Hi Neil, I'd love to catch-up. I am pretty busy at the moment so a long drive is a bit out of the way.:doh: Oh well :wink:

dai sensei
7th June 2016, 10:30 AM
Hi Neil, I'd love to catch-up. I am pretty busy at the moment so a long drive is a bit out of the way.:doh: Oh well :wink:

I alway thought you were a bit upside down :rolleyes:. Top End refers to NT, SA is the bottom :U:U:U.

Driving is a long trip but flights are cheap :wink:

ogato
7th June 2016, 06:19 PM
WOODbTURNER is a Darwin local

artful bodger
7th June 2016, 07:55 PM
Good luck to you Neil.
Do not even remember seeing a nice looking tree in the NT when I was there however there must be some good ones with a bit of local knowledge.

dai sensei
7th June 2016, 10:54 PM
..Do not even remember seeing a nice looking tree in the NT when I was there...

African Mahogany and Raintree are common in Darwin but there are also heaps of Acacias and the odd Black Palm.

I have friends in Daly River that have some Weeping Rosewood (Pterocarpus indicus) but don't want to part with any as only relatively small. It does grow around the place apparently so I will keep looking. Further out in NT there is also Desert Oak, Cork tree, Aus Ebony, Conkerberry and of course heaps more Acacias.

dai sensei
14th June 2016, 01:11 PM
Mini turning get together in Palmerston yesterday :2tsup: See here http://www.woodworkforums.com/f125/darwin-time-205082/3#post1957712

I'm only here till Monday now so if anyone else wants to get together contact me

dai sensei
17th June 2016, 08:25 PM
Having another Woodturning get together at Palmerston NT all day this Sunday. Anyone interested in joining me please send me a message for address details. There will be 3 lathes spinning but other portables are welcome, plenty of room

dai sensei
19th June 2016, 10:24 PM
Well everyone but myself had a good time today :-. Unfortunately my new transformer/speed controller lasted one cut then blew a fuse :doh:. Worked ok when I tested it on installation :rolleyes: so maybe dust and vibration has killed it???? Multiple replacement fuses also blew, checked the brushes on the motor and were ok, plus gave everything a good blow out but no luck. So I have no idea :banghead:.

Only Dave and the host Arthur were there with myself but we still had a great time :2tsup: and plenty of lunch/morning/afternoon tea to go around (so much for the diet :B, again :p)