PDA

View Full Version : Care Of PU Finish

62woollybugger
9th June 2016, 11:48 PM
Our kitchen is NG Rosewood, with what I assume is a sprayed, satin finish PU. When we had it put in the supplier said to oil it every now & again with a furniture oil that was sold in supermakets. I can't remember the brand, but I know it's not available any more. Does PU need to be oiled & if so, what would be the best one to use?

NCArcher
10th June 2016, 12:09 AM
I don't think oil would do anything to a PU surface. PU is resistant to oil and water so it would just sit on the surface.
It is more likely an oil finish. Can you ask the manufacturer?

62woollybugger
10th June 2016, 11:35 PM
I don't think oil would do anything to a PU surface. PU is resistant to oil and water so it would just sit on the surface.
It is more likely an oil finish. Can you ask the manufacturer?

I'm sure it's not an oil finish, if you look closely you can see build up of the finish in tight corners of the door panels. Unfortunately the company that put it in has closed down long ago. I remember them telling us to use a furniture polish or oil that was sold in Coles at the time, but I'm pretty sure it's not available any more & I just can't remember the name of it.

FenceFurniture
12th June 2016, 05:26 PM
Could it perhaps be an oil finish with a fair dose of PU in the blend (in the same way that Danish Oil has a PU component)? That would be able to build up in corners etc, and in that case adding more oil should work I would think (and certainly would harm it).

One way to tell I suppose - put some oil on it and see if it absorbs or sits on top. If you leave a drop of oil on it overnight and it leaves a wet mark then the oil will have penetrated. If it doesn't penetrate that you've done no damage. If it does penetrate then keep on going......