PDA

View Full Version : Willy has been a busy boy!

Willy Nelson
10th June 2016, 12:11 AM
Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen,
Tradionally, winter is the time to gather, mill, wax and season timber, this winter is no different.
Firstly, I have gained access to a very large, huge stack of logs.

First, I cut a heap of Jarrah which seemed very dry and remarkably free of cracks. I should be able to turn them soon.

I found some huge Olive stumps which looked stunning, but full of dirt which ruined 4 chains, but I think the effort will be worth it when you see the grain in the huge bowl blank photographed below.

Today, I cut a heap of Cape Lilac. A favourite of mine as it is good to teach people, looks stunning and dries quickly. This stuff is remarkably rot free and very good size.

Lastly some photos of a heap of spotted gum.

Next time, Marri. I found quite a few massive logs.
Happy days.

I really do need to turn more to make room for more. Gathering turning blanks is a disease, but a welcome one
Sincerely

Willy
Jarrahland

Glenn.Visca
10th June 2016, 12:29 AM
Good lord ! Nice collection !

Gabriel
10th June 2016, 11:05 AM
Gotta clean the drool off the keyboard... both the timber itself is besutiful, but your organisation and attention to detail should be commended as well.
Happy turning when the time comes!!

Willy Nelson
10th June 2016, 12:24 PM
Hello Gabriel
Thanks for that, maybe you should have checked out my thread on Willy's New Workshop, towards the end, I made my racks for the turning blanks, and filled them, yes, I mean I really filled them.

I haven't posted many pictures lately due to camera dying and no time. I have heaps more now and borrowed the daughters Ipad.

Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

Treecycle
10th June 2016, 01:54 PM
You certainly have been a busy boy. Would keep me going for a while.
What do you use to seal them with and how is it applied?

Willy Nelson
10th June 2016, 05:31 PM
You certainly have been a busy boy. Would keep me going for a while.
What do you use to seal them with and how is it applied?

I always seal them in wax. I bought an old frypan for $1 at a garage sale 15 years ago. People store their old candles for me and I melt the wax in the frypan. Rounds, I roll the edge of the blank in the wax, spindle blanks, I just dip the ends.
My wood turning club now does the same, as do many of my friends who turn.
I have a mate in the skip bin business, he always puts the candles aside for me. My shed can smell very calming at times.
Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

hughie
10th June 2016, 07:02 PM
I really do need to turn more to make room for more. Gathering turning blanks is a disease, but a welcome one

Lol I think its endemic with turners I have trouble with space in the shed and out side as well.

But from what I can see you have a very good haul there, look forward to seeing what you do with it. :2tsup:

smiife
10th June 2016, 08:15 PM
Hi willy, nice collection there mate , ,
Firstly , i see lots of nice timber and a few empty boots/crocs
Please tell me your not walking around barefoot:o
secondly , you have wwwwaaayyyy too much timber already !
How can i persuade you to part with some olive blanks ?
would money help?:U:U

Willy Nelson
10th June 2016, 11:53 PM
Hi willy, nice collection there mate , ,
Firstly , i see lots of nice timber and a few empty boots/crocs
Please tell me your not walking around barefoot:o
secondly , you have wwwwaaayyyy too much timber already !
How can i persuade you to part with some olive blanks ?
would money help?:U:U

Crocs!!!!!!!!!! :oo::oo::oo:No way, these are steel capped Safety Crocs. I do all my turning, carving etc in them. :p:p:wink:.

The other boots are also steel capped, but they are for use when using the large chainsaw only, the little girly chainsaw hardly warrants such trifling equipment as PPE Ppfffffffttttttttttttt.

No, never enough timber.

Lastly you are welcome to some Olive if you wish, I have another 1/2 ton uncut and another 2 ton still on site, which I may leave.

Sincerely
Willy

Mobyturns
11th June 2016, 07:11 AM
Crocs!!!!!!!!!! :oo::oo::oo:No way, these are steel capped Safety Crocs. I do all my turning, carving etc in them. :p:p:wink:.

The other boots are also steel capped, but they are for use when using the large chainsaw only, the little girly chainsaw hardly warrants such trifling equipment as PPE Ppfffffffttttttttttttt.

No, never enough timber.

Lastly you are welcome to some Olive if you wish, I have another 1/2 ton uncut and another 2 ton still on site, which I may leave.

Sincerely
Willy

Its them little girly tools that get you! :rolleyes: The big buggars everybody is scared of. :oo: No grief from me on managing hazards & risk, as long as you understand the risk - which I think you do. All the PPE in the world will not totally protect a person who takes big risks, far better to understand the hazards & to manage risk.

Nice collection of blanks. I agree you can never have too much timber!

dai sensei
11th June 2016, 11:44 AM
Good to see you are keeping busy mate. Can't say I like White Cedar, but it can have nice grain. The olive sounds great, didn't see any of that in your stacks, so assume it comes from elsewhere?

So are those developers going to get rid of the timber stacks soon or do you still have heaps of time?

Willy Nelson
11th June 2016, 09:20 PM
Good to see you are keeping busy mate. Can't say I like White Cedar, but it can have nice grain. The olive sounds great, didn't see any of that in your stacks, so assume it comes from elsewhere?

So are those developers going to get rid of the timber stacks soon or do you still have heaps of time?

Hey Neil
The Cape Lillac is superb for learners so I always need some on hand for teaching, apparently it is safer and easier than say a gnarly old chunk of cracked Jarrah burll:wink:

Yes the olive is sort of new, although I had some when they bulldozed 5,000 trees 2 years ago just North of Perth at Gin Gin, I grabbed some from there. This Olive is vastly different, but also stunning.

Hmmmmmmm, without giving too much away, I have stumbled on logs for life. Looks as though some companies are dumping logs every day :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland (now also Marriland, Oliveland, Sheoakland, Cape Lillacland etc)