PDA

View Full Version : Silky Oak Trunk

silkyoakvic
18th June 2016, 11:22 AM
I am getting a silky oak tree ~15-20m tall cut down next week.

PM me if anybody wants the trunk or firewood.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet (http://imgur.com/rexOgPi)

Diameter ~75cm

cava
18th June 2016, 12:14 PM
It's times like this that I wish I had a trailer. :?

Gabriel
18th June 2016, 12:53 PM
I have a trailer if you have the knowhow and time to (happy to play second fiddle) to break it down....

Trailer is 2.4 long though so would have to be broken down on site

Chesand
18th June 2016, 01:20 PM
I was given a Blue Spruce tree about 3 years ago and when I suggested that the trunk be left in about 2 metre lengths, the tree fellers said that was too long for them to handle and the trunk pieces finished up in lengths of 1200 to 1500. I still got some good timber out of it.
You might need to have a discussion with the people who are cutting it down.

cava
18th June 2016, 02:17 PM
I have a trailer if you have the knowhow and time to (happy to play second fiddle) to break it down....

Trailer is 2.4 long though so would have to be broken down on site
Thanks Gabriel, I appreciate the offer. :)

@ the OP - what diameter is the tree?

Woodturnerjosh
18th June 2016, 02:53 PM
I'm happy to bring up my big chainsaw cut it up into bowl blanks (as long as I can get a few blanks out of it! lol) . If it's worth while I'll even hire a trailer!

Can you upload a photo? Is it coming down due to to rot, borers, etc

Cheers

Josh

silkyoakvic
18th June 2016, 09:31 PM
The tree is coming down just because it is close to my property and affecting the house a little bit. The tree is going strong, nothing wrong with it at all. I really want to see the wood used and not go to waste!

I don't know what kind of preparation is required for the trunk, or the best way to cut it down. I spoke to the tree feller and he said best for wood turners would be to cut from ground up to where it splits away. From the photo that looks like almost up to the top of the roof, so around 5-6 metres? If it is easier to transport and still be useful, I can ask the tree fellers whether they can cut it into 1.5-2m segments for us.

Diameter is around 75-80cm.

Here is a link to picture:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet (http://imgur.com/rexOgPi)

I also plan for the branches to be cut into firewood size if anybody is keen on that too :)

Thanks. If interested send me a PM and I will send you address and phone number if you wanted to take a look.

Btw if you would like to contribute a little to the cutting down of the tree, that would also be much appreciated also! It's costing me almost $2,000 to cut down (but I am more interested in people putting into good use)!

Woodturnerjosh
18th June 2016, 09:34 PM
Count me in! If the tree fellers are dropping it I'll happy cut the branches up into firewood size!

I'll PM you....

silkyoakvic
18th June 2016, 09:49 PM
Count me in! If the tree fellers are dropping it I'll happy cut the branches up into firewood size!

I'll PM you....
The current proposal is that the tree fellers will do the following:
- Cut down the trunk (~5-6m according to my estimate) in its entirety and dropping down to the ground
- Cutting suitable branches up into firewood sections
- Mulching the leaves and small branches and removing

So if anybody wants 1. or 2. for free, let me know. If you wanted to contribute to the removal, that would be a bonus for me and I would really appreciate it :)

PM me

cava
18th June 2016, 10:14 PM
That's a big tree - a bit too big for me to handle even in smaller sections.

I am out, and thanks for the offer of the trailer Gabriel.

Hope others can enjoy the offer.

Pagie
20th June 2016, 08:33 PM
I am at the moment making a log arch for the back of my trailer. So I can lift a log onto the trailer. I have lots of large chainsaws too. Let me know if you still need help? Can mill the log too if someone has a place to do it

silkyoakvic
22nd June 2016, 09:03 AM
Tree will be cut down in the next few days.

If anybody else is interested in the trunk, please PM me. I currently have one (maybe two) people interested in the log in return for a little cash + finished item. There's probably enough to share if there is anybody else interested.

There will also be firewood, so please PM if interested and I can let you know the address.

Thanks everyone!

silkyoakvic
24th June 2016, 12:25 PM
Tree has now been cut. Last call for anybody interested in a share of the log. Thanks!