PDA

View Full Version : The Garden shed - how do you store your garden equipment

Pac man
19th June 2016, 10:26 AM
Having recently put together a small 1800 x780 small tin shed for garden storage I am looking for ideas on how the collective brain has fitted their out. Need to fit mower, edger and about 10-12 garden tools. Was thinking about some hooks and a small knock together shelf system. I have strong hoarding genes so I am looking to head towards not having too much in there.

Any ideas?

BobL
19th June 2016, 11:13 AM
I'm forced to store all my garden tools in my workshop which has gyprock walls at the storage end.
To handle this I screwed 2 full sized 7mm ply sheets to the walls with the bottom edges of the sheets on the floor (you can stand the sheet off the floor on a piece of patio tube or hardwood)
Before doing this I screwed some 35 x 90 horizontal battens (they can also act as small shelves) onto the wood and drilled some 19 mm holes at a slight upwards angle into the narrow sides of the battens and glued 200 mm lengths of Tassie oak dowel into the holes. Some of the holes are in closely spaced pairs suitable or hanging axes, mattock, rakes pick hoes etc

This created about 12 very sturdy hooks so I can hang all the tool off this, I even hang the whipper snipper, rope, etc
Nothing is on the floor which is good in principle but just makes more room for all the other shyte and accoutrements etc,

Gabriel
19th June 2016, 12:04 PM
I have a set of shelves that are open at the bottom to allow me to roll the mower underneath, but still have shelving above so as not to loose that precious space

Pac man
19th June 2016, 12:18 PM
So quick trip to the green and blue box and after some helpful interactions with staff it seems that a free standing metal frame that could be anchored to the sheds with a ply or a high cost proprietary channel system to hold hooks would be the go.
Cant believe that some double and triple tool hooks are $12-18 and the "systems" are higher

Pac man
19th June 2016, 12:19 PM
I have a set of shelves that are open at the bottom to allow me to roll the mower underneath, but still have shelving above so as not to loose that precious space

Another good idea

Chief Tiff
19th June 2016, 12:39 PM
I bought some pressed steel metal hooks (Syneco brand (https://www.bunnings.com.au/syneco-small-double-hook-5-pack_p3950154)) that screw onto a beam and hang all my spades/shovels/fork & rake from them. For your shed you would probably need to screw them to a wooden batten and then attach that to the shed wall. Then for shelving I bought some gal shelving packs (https://www.bunnings.com.au/handy-storage-137-x-71-x-30-5cm-4-shelf-unit_p2583029) that cost less than $20 each, again you want to attach them to the actual walls for rigidity. The shelves are deep enough to take plastic 50 or maybe 60 litre storage tubs and things like my chainsaw live on the top.

Sawdust Maker
19th June 2016, 12:45 PM
My garden shed has a normal hinged door (rather than a sliding door)
I attached a piece of timber to this with nails to take smaller gardening implements - trowel etc

and on one of the walls I bolted another plank with those hooks which takes all the shovels, rakes edger etc

the planks are bolted through the metal using roofing screws/bolts

FenceFurniture
19th June 2016, 12:47 PM
Sheet of Masonite (or 3/6 mm MDF), about 500x700mm. Screw two pieces of timber to the ends, another sheet of masonite, more timber spacers, another sheet. Stand it up on its end and then stand the tools in it with the handles pointing down. Gets a surprising amount of tools in a small space, but they are still easy enough to access.

Simplicity
19th June 2016, 01:04 PM
Jims mowing
They store all the tools on a trailer.
And I only see them ,when there called.
But this is not helpfully I think [emoji106]

Pac man
19th June 2016, 02:41 PM
Funny - yes. Helpful- not so much.

Pac man
19th June 2016, 02:43 PM
My garden shed has a normal hinged door (rather than a sliding door)
I attached a piece of timber to this with nails to take smaller gardening implements - trowel etc

and on one of the walls I bolted another plank with those hooks which takes all the shovels, rakes edger etc

the planks are bolted through the metal using roofing screws/bolts

Yairs I intend to use the door space

shanesmith80
19th June 2016, 10:44 PM
I just throw everything in the wheelbarrow.