PDA

View Full Version : Sealing a shower enclosure

Clinton1
21st August 2005, 10:17 PM
My shower enclosure is made from powdercoated aluminium frames set onto tiles.
There is not enough fall to the base tiles, so water pools. It doesn't help that the shower drain grate is too small.
There is white coloured silastic type sealant around the base of the screen.
Water leaks out under the shower screen frames.

I tried sealing it with Selleys All clear, after cleaning with acetone and drying it with a heater. (After the acetone fumes were cleared)
No luck, the All Clear skins off in about 15 seconds.

Two questions that I am hoping someone can help me with:

Should All Clear skin off so quickly?
Is there a better product to help seal this area?

Lessons Learned:
No. 1.
Get a shower base unit.
No 2.
Watch out for dodge renos a bit better next time I buy a house.

Any help gratefully received.... starting to get quite frustrated.
Cheers,
Clinton

Clinton1
22nd August 2005, 09:13 PM
Anyone??

Perhaps I smell bad.

davidt
22nd August 2005, 09:51 PM
Clinton,
I had similarly disheartening experiences with All Clear (on a fountain) - skins so quickly you can't work it. My shower screen is frameless glass fixed to the tiled floor with clear silicone - doesn't leak and leaves a good finish.

David

ctd
23rd August 2005, 10:31 AM
You probably need to use a plastic/metal strip along the bottom rather than a sealant. For example

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/317-15191

(haven't looked for an Australian source - noting that this product may not be exactly what you need, but you get the idea).

The screen manufacturer may make one specifically for the screen (assuming it is meant to be installed in the manner it has been). Give them a call if you can locate who it is (usually somewhere on the metalwork).

Of course, you might want to see if you can pull up the screen, put in a shower base and put the screen back.

Jamster
24th August 2005, 09:46 PM
There is obviously nothing now that can be done with the fall and water pooling. To stop the water leaking from under the shower screen you must remove all traces of all clear (use Stanley knife) and let dry completely. Use a poly urethane sealant to seal joint.. Such as Sikaflex. Mask up joint and run a bead along joint then tool off with finger dipped in detergent.Remove masking tape then tool off again. Allow at least 24 hrs to cure.You can do this on both sides of the shower screen.. allow about 50mm either side of the joit to allow for adhesion. It will be a largish joint . You may find you will have to do this every few years. The alternative is removing tiles in shower and setting a new pan or building a hob then re-waterproofing and new tile bed with correct fall.
Jamster

Jamster
25th August 2005, 10:42 PM
do I smell

Clinton1
26th August 2005, 09:26 AM
Thanks Jamster, I'll give it a go.
CTD - thanks, if the sealant doesn't work I'll probably pull it apart to put in a base unit - and stuff it all up all on my own. :)