PDA

View Full Version : Getting a snug fit for a tapered shaped bowl in a pet feeder stand

Berna
20th June 2016, 02:05 PM
I am having difficulty getting the right ( snug fit ) cut out in pine wood to place a dog bone shaped china bowl. I want to make a pet feeder stand with the dog boned shaped bowl inserted. I am using a jigsaw with a fine blade for curves, but I just cant get a snug fit. I would appreciate any advice you could give me, thank you. Please see attached photos to get an idea.

joe greiner
20th June 2016, 03:38 PM
Smear the outside of the bowl with a (washable) felt-tip marker. Place in the hole and wiggle around to "print" the wood. Remove the bowl and sand the "printed" parts with a small sanding drum, e.g. Dremel. Re-smear, re-print and re-sand until satisfactory. Then wash the bowl.

Carbon paper (carbon facing out) is less messy, but doesn't fit well on complicated surfaces.

Cheers,
Joe

Berna
20th June 2016, 04:37 PM
Thanks Joe, I have just purchased a Dremel 3000 Rotary Tool online based on your advice.

Smear the outside of the bowl with a (washable) felt-tip marker. Place in the hole and wiggle around to "print" the wood. Remove the bowl and sand the "printed" parts with a small sanding drum, e.g. Dremel. Re-smear, re-print and re-sand until satisfactory. Then wash the bowl.

Carbon paper (carbon facing out) is less messy, but doesn't fit well on complicated surfaces.

Cheers,

Joe