PDA

View Full Version : Cut the wood the way its wants to be cut

WaggaSteve
21st June 2016, 09:52 AM
I had heard this term for many years and have finally come to realise what it means, at least in my case.
Basically, I need to continue to turn my "creations" until all evidence of catches and other accidents are removed.
Which leads me to my next question. Anyone have any idea of the size of the market for 1" bowls please

Nubsnstubs
21st June 2016, 11:00 AM
Well, been there. Save them until you get a bunch, then see if any match. If so, make earrings from the matched sets, and make nose or ear plugs from the ones that don't match......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Uncle Al
21st June 2016, 04:26 PM
People making dolls houses and associated furniture may be interested:D

Alan...

StevoWoodi
21st June 2016, 11:13 PM
Hi Steve,

And that is after you have had the benefit of the Richard Raffin hands on!

Cheers,

Steve from Lake Macquarie.

Paul39
22nd June 2016, 12:31 PM
I had heard this term for many years and have finally come to realise what it means, at least in my case.
Basically, I need to continue to turn my "creations" until all evidence of catches and other accidents are removed.
Which leads me to my next question. Anyone have any idea of the size of the market for 1" bowls please

Somewhere between 20 and 40 hours spent making bowls, the catches will be rare, and you will go from a bowl blank to putting on the first coat of finish in 4 to 6 hours.

Pay attention, don't get in a hurry, and turn an hour or two every day.

Christos
23rd June 2016, 06:56 PM
.... Anyone have any idea of the size of the market for 1" bowls please

This last comment is just brilliant, you had me in stitches. :laughing1:

WaggaSteve
27th June 2016, 11:28 AM
Nubsnstubs: You may want to have a look at your friends criteria if you need 1" nose plugs for them

WaggaSteve
27th June 2016, 11:29 AM
Stevo, the market question was 1/2" bowls before that, so some progress is being made

Kitikat
14th July 2016, 11:25 AM
Stevo, the market question was 1/2" bowls before that, so some progress is being made

387549 Don't let anybody tell you getting them this perfect at this size is not a skill. Sell on Ebay, you will find lots of 1:12" scale lovers like me ;)

Wood Nut
17th July 2016, 08:18 PM
Steve,
Richard Raffan sent me an email the other day about doing some more hands-on in my workshop - maybe next year. Just let me know when you're ready for the next lesson. Seriously though, just practise on cheap timber, check the grind, keep it sharp and watch the wings (not until they grab though). Make the tenon/mortice match the chuck jaws. Watch some dvd's - Richards are brilliant for learning tool presentation. Above all, make haste slowly. There are some good turners over your way that I'm sure would help. If not I'm happy to give you a hand. Just give me a call (and no - you can't have the Stubby!)
Cheers mate,
Paul