PDA

View Full Version : AWTEX sortie

powderpost
21st June 2016, 09:27 PM
Back again after a weekend sortie to Australian Wood Turning in Melbourne. This year yielded a first and third for "laminated/built up" category and a first for spindle turning. One of the segmented pieces also took out the award "Best of Show". Reasonably good out come? The "Best of Show" piece was made from red cedar. A friend gave me some unusual pink, red cedar and another friend gave me a very old red cedar that was quite dark. The "flowers" around the body took some thinking working out how to do them, there were quite a few failures. I didn't get to measure it but it was about 260mm tall and about 160mm diameter. Finished with 4 coats of sanding sealer and 8 quite thin coats of lacquer sanded between coats with progressively finer paper up to 1200#.

This one was made from a three species of acacia and was placed 3rd

Jim

cqvillas
21st June 2016, 09:44 PM
Congratulations Powderpost, they look amazing.

d5k
21st June 2016, 10:53 PM
Absolutely lovely work.

Enfield Guy
22nd June 2016, 08:15 AM
Well deserved.

Mobyturns
22nd June 2016, 09:22 AM
When I grow up I want to be able to turn as good as you.

Congratulations Jim in keeping those Mexicans at bay, a lesson for cockroaches tonight hopefully. :D

orraloon
22nd June 2016, 11:33 AM
Very very nice work.
Regards
John

chambezio
22nd June 2016, 12:04 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!! Jim, you know that you have made it hard for yourself......what will you have to come up with next year when you have to enter again? Your results are absolutely beautiful!!! The shape and design then the detail in the inclusions......

turnerted
22nd June 2016, 12:05 PM
Congratulation Jim.Great work.
Ted

smiife
22nd June 2016, 08:56 PM
Hi jim,
Very well done , and well deserved
Absolutely stunning, just wish i had more
patience to do something like that, oh and the skill:C
Again congratulations:aro-r::aro-r::clap3:

gidgee 1
23rd June 2016, 07:39 AM
Amazing work Jim,congratulations on the well deserved results.
I have to ask "How do you do it?" Must have something to do with the 11 secret herbs and spices,a couple of little tips would be much appreciated.
Cheers
gidgee 1

Mobyturns
23rd June 2016, 08:56 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!! Jim, you know that you have made it hard for yourself......what will you have to come up with next year when you have to enter again? Your results are absolutely beautiful!!! The shape and design then the detail in the inclusions......

Thats what keeps the old buggar going!! :q

Christos
23rd June 2016, 04:09 PM
I am lost for words so I just would say.....

Wow.

Chesand
23rd June 2016, 05:35 PM
I am lost for words so I just would say.....

Beautiful work. Well deserved awards.

Christos
23rd June 2016, 07:15 PM
Beautiful work. Well deserved awards.

Always someone to help on this forum. :2tsup:

Uncle Al
23rd June 2016, 07:24 PM
Amazing work Jim,congratulations on the well deserved results.
I have to ask "How do you do it?"
gidgee 1

I reckon it is fairly straight forward. Jim just gets a few contrasting timbers, cuts them to size, glues 'em up, then turns off the bits he doesn't want.:D

The thing is, he just does it better than almost all of us combined!

Darn good job there Jim, any tips on how you do the above steps gratefully accepted.

Congratulations on the well deserved win.

Alan...