PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Help

alexcoulter
28th June 2016, 02:23 PM
Recently I started a small project making wood transfers on plywood. This has now turned into making coasters, but I'm not sure what the best finish and application method would be for this?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Xanthorrhoeas
28th June 2016, 04:57 PM
You need a tough, water-resistant or waterproof finish.

About 30 years ago my wife (an artist) hand painted scenes & still-lifes from our house on hardboard place mats and then also made some with glued-on paper cut out of some of her other artworks. We finished those with a clear gloss oil-based polyurethane (Estapol brand but others are equivalent) and they have served us well for many years. Some are beginning to peel and show signs of age but they have done well in my opinion.

Today there are plenty of options including water clean-up polyurethanes in a range of gloss levels.

Xanthorrhoeas
28th June 2016, 04:58 PM
By-the-way, Welcome to the forums! I should have said that first.

David

alexcoulter
29th June 2016, 06:41 AM
You need a tough, water-resistant or waterproof finish.

About 30 years ago my wife (an artist) hand painted scenes & still-lifes from our house on hardboard place mats and then also made some with glued-on paper cut out of some of her other artworks. We finished those with a clear gloss oil-based polyurethane (Estapol brand but others are equivalent) and they have served us well for many years. Some are beginning to peel and show signs of age but they have done well in my opinion.

Today there are plenty of options including water clean-up polyurethanes in a range of gloss levels.

Perfect, thanks for your help! Is that a wipe on poly? Do you sand between coats, and after the final coat what would you say is a safe drying time before they're put to use?

Also, thank you. First forum I've ever posted to. I feel very Welcomed.

Christos
29th June 2016, 09:37 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I have not done this myself and only recall reading about it where the fellow sprayed on a poly finish. I don't recall if it was a water based or solvent based product.

Just on a personal level I would be reluctant to use anything that was brushed on or wipe on to seal a transfer. I think a spray would be better even via a spray can and by what I have read you guys in the US have lots to choose from.

alexcoulter
29th June 2016, 10:02 AM
Thanks Christos! One of the ones I have tried is a spray on, and it works pretty well from what I can tell, but that isn't based from any practical knowledge. Is Poly pretty good with higher temperatures, like hot coffee etc?

Xanthorrhoeas
29th June 2016, 12:33 PM
Most of ours were oil paint images rather than transfer and the poly was a brush-on product - but that was long ago, there are lots of better products now. I think that Christos suggestion of a spray on poly sounds like the best idea.

BTW, there are some forum moderators (I am definitely not a mod, nor have this view) who object to the signature that Tapatalk automatically adds to your post. I would respectfully suggest that you go into Tapatalk's settings and delete the auto signature if you wish to avoid a cranky message. Such a message would perhaps make you change your view of being welcomed. Rest assured, (most of) the rest of us are welcoming and easy-going.

Christos
4th July 2016, 06:55 PM
...... Is Poly pretty good with higher temperatures, like hot coffee etc?....

In the past a poly based finish, which required the clean up using solvents was the way to go as it was more tolerant to heat and cold. These days a water based poly, which as you guessed it that can clean up using water tend to be just a favorable. Both of these should stand up to both heat and cold.

I might suggest making one as a test and use it as you would normally.