PDA

View Full Version : The Forum Express

fletty
6th July 2016, 12:13 AM
This morning, the Forum Express left Camden. The Express includes fletty's Landrover and NCArchers trailer ......

......delivering fletty's first commission ......

.......and Wheelinround's lathe. In addition there is a 'table top' burl from Greg Ward, some goodies from Hughie also for Wheelin and a disassembled hydraulic hoist to unload it all. The hoist was bought off the forum and recently used to great effect by ShaneSmith80. The first night (tonight!) was spent at Fletty's Girl's place inland from Coffs Harbour, NSW, near to where Underfoot guided me to some wonderful Australian red cedar a few years ago. Tomorrow will be the furniture delivery at Alstonville and, as it is SO close, a visit to Terry Gordon is inevitable if not compulsory?
Wheelin's delivery is to his new home at Ipswich but, to get there, I'm thinking of directing the Express via ApricotTripperland? The return journey will be via Boutique Timber and possibly Scribbly Gum with a possible diversion via Claw Hama ...... and Tack Hama ​if she's home?
What on Earth did I do before THE FORUM ?

fletty

Tahlee
6th July 2016, 12:16 AM
Safe journey .. sounds like a lot of fun

Gabriel
6th July 2016, 08:29 AM
That's what's so great about this forum.... being able to find friendship and have conversations with people about your passions, without the 'glazed over' look from the people you're talking to.... top work fletty, make sure you swipe your frequent flyer card!!

Chesand
6th July 2016, 10:13 AM
Doesn't sound like an express - more like a milk run. :D

wheelinround
6th July 2016, 10:25 AM
How far did you get before the men/women in Blue stopped you for non-display of No plate & its light on trailer? You can always explain to them your a pretend truckie with your sleeper in tow:;

I do feel sorry for you Alan I have been in touch with H who's arranging a truck to remove some electrical goods .......I've put my hand up for the TS & new BS :p

The firewood sale is on the weekend I think :U

At least you'll have a bed to sleep on during part of the journey looks great by the way.:2tsup: You need a bigger tarp to stop it getting wet and road grim from the swirls cause by vacuum swirls.

crowie
6th July 2016, 11:21 AM
The GENTLEMAN WOODWORKER sticks again with generosity above and beyond the cause .... WELL DONE Alan....safe travels!!

PS - If you're still up around the Gold Coast on the weekend, at Runaway Bay there is a National Gymnastics Display event....

wheelinround
6th July 2016, 05:39 PM
The GENTLEMAN WOODWORKER sticks again with generosity above and beyond the cause .... WELL DONE Alan....safe travels!!

PS - If you're still up around the Gold Coast on the weekend, at Runaway Bay there is a National Gymnastics Display event....

I hope so Peter he's got precocious cargo :rolleyes:

Will you be up Peter and performing? I'm not sure Alan's old ticker cold take such over activity

crowie
6th July 2016, 05:47 PM

Will you be up Peter and performing? I'm not sure Alan's old ticker cold take such over activity

Not this time Ray...Springwood Boys & Girls Club didn't enter, but our daughter has taken a team from another gymnastic club were she also works...

fletty
6th July 2016, 10:45 PM
The daybed has survived the 800km trip but was surprisingly 'sooty' when assembled!

Most importantly however, the customers love it and are forecasting orders for more?

How far did you get before the men/women in Blue stopped you for non-display of No plate & its light on trailer? You can always explain to them your a pretend truckie with your sleeper in tow:;

No problem, the number plate swings down and the tail lights are clear from any obstruction. However, when I get home I must post a thread on the trailer forum about the continuous disco lights when connected to my venerable Landrover?

Thanks Crowie but you obviously haven't seen me in leotards! The more sensitive participants could be in counselling for years?

precocious? The Myford hasn't said a word all trip?
You're right about the "ticker" though. I'm saving it for my 20th Sutherland to Cronulla Run and my 30th City to Surf when I get back?

Tomorrow I change from daybed seller to rigger and dogman!

fletty

wheelinround
6th July 2016, 11:58 PM
Good job it'll be in doors wind here is howling. hope it settles down tomorrow.

Darn spell checker or is it my eyes then again it just may speak volumes when it is mounted back on its stand. I have work for it to do.

Is the lounge Chaste or chased? Looks darn good sitting there.

Sawdust Maker
7th July 2016, 09:19 AM
Well done Mr Flettmiester
you're a credit to the forums

while you're at Boutique could you pick me up some ... woops the missus said I don't need any more timber :(

fletty
7th July 2016, 05:00 PM
Still on schedule, Ray is giddy again and, after a short diversion......

..... :B

fletty
7th July 2016, 05:05 PM
Oh, and .......

..... BUT, the chisels were free?

wheelinround
7th July 2016, 05:44 PM
Alan arrived at 9.30 this morning from his digs the previous night he was gone before lunch. Thts after unloading the ML7 installing it checking electrics (his flooded workshop may have cased water damage).

A tour of new house, morning tea on the veranda and he headed off.

Many thanks Alan for taking the time to do this and for picking up the bur from Boutique Timbers at the show its suits the purpose already marked for cutting the rest will take time......not as long as 2 spinning wheels :B as I now have room to move as you saw. The second bench i will make will also help.

Thanks also to Hughie for the Blackwood turning blank, the 3 ball n screw shafts, the Citizen dial gage was a surprise .001 -1m:o

The burl in place to mark it out.

KBs PensNmore
7th July 2016, 08:14 PM
What a fine pair of Distinguished looking Gentlemen. Nice to be able to put faces to names, thanks Wheelin and Fletty.
Kryn

NCArcher
7th July 2016, 08:16 PM
The 'Gentleman' strikes again.
Bloody marvelous. :2tsup: What a good bloke that Fletty fellow is.
The workshop looks good Ray. Heaps more room.
I hope you loaded Fletty up with Sue's home cooking for the drive home

crowie
7th July 2016, 08:42 PM
Still on schedule, Ray is giddy again and, after a short diversion......

..... :B

Are they more sharpening practice???

fletty
7th July 2016, 10:08 PM
So far the pics have failed to display the REAL brains of the outfit....

A picture of the giddy-gurdy stuff (PS, Ray is on the left)....

Tomorrow is a visit to Lismore to get the foam for the daybed mattress, visit a shop that (allegedly) has enamel signs ...... and a PUB LUNCH!

Sawdust Maker
7th July 2016, 10:46 PM
interesting set of chisels - did Terry offload them?
actually am curious about the one on the bottom row to the right of middle - seems to have a chuck arrangement?

btw - Scally needs a bit of a hand if you're wandering past ... :D

wheelinround
8th July 2016, 10:20 AM
The 'Gentleman' strikes again.
Bloody marvelous. :2tsup: What a good bloke that Fletty fellow is.
The workshop looks good Ray. Heaps more room.
I hope you loaded Fletty up with Sue's home cooking for the drive home

Tony without your trailer I am not sure he could have done it all. Mind you he is visiting timber suppliers enroute home best have axles checked for bowing when he gets back.
Yep Tony even more when I get the other side sorted a tool box repaired have to strengthen the under side. Put the Nova and Jet mini together sort more boxes out etc.

Nope he did load himself up though 4 pieces of fruit cake and 4 coconut biscuits but who's counting LOL (not me Sue). Oh for the drive home never considered that Tony.:U

Forgot to mention Alan even though tempted by Calzones freshly made for lunch declined.............oh well more for me.

fletty
8th July 2016, 04:37 PM
The chisels, and much more....

.... came from an old mate. They originally belonged to his father and can be traced back about 80 years.
A day-trip (= pub lunch) ended in a nearby collectables shop where the disappointments of the Cowra auction were quickly forgotten....

but the highlight of the day was going with the new owner and buying fabrics (:B) to try them out on the daybed....

.... it's been a good day,

fletty

crowie
8th July 2016, 05:03 PM
Very nice sign!!

wheelinround
8th July 2016, 06:33 PM
Like the tin mans mallet distroyed mine years ago panel beating must make a new one. Nice plane should clean up a treat.

Alan you are becoming an expert at fabric shopping, sewing is this you heading in a new direction?

wheelinround
9th July 2016, 03:50 PM
Looks like Fletty got side tracked either at Nimbin or Rollands Plains either way he'll be high on an essence.

fletty
10th July 2016, 10:16 AM
Looks like Fletty got side tracked either at Nimbin or Rollands Plains either way he'll be high on an essence.

Nah, safely tucked up in Boambee, all good, will do some chores here before Boutique and then home tomorrow.

wheelinround
10th July 2016, 06:05 PM
Ya should have stayed overnight and gone seen this display at the gallery.

fletty
11th July 2016, 08:10 PM
Nah, safely tucked up in Boambee, all good, will do some chores here before Boutique and then home tomorrow.

Yesterday was a day of being both a father and tourist. Bellingen was absolutely bopping with the 'Winter Music Festival......

complete with spectacular lollipop ladies to help cross the road....

There were a few bits of craft woodwork for sale but, even more importantly for me, a local blacksmith had created EXACTLY the door handle I wanted for the shed...

387347 387348 387562

...... and now it's MINE!

Today was a long drive home broken with a stop at Boutique Timber to get some timber for me and a pick up for a couple of mates. The drive in is spectacular....

...but the arrival is even more spectacular!

Some hours later, I arrived home safely with the timber stash intact...

..... tired but rather pleased with myself for doing everything on the must-do list and a fair proportion of the bucket list as well. Many thanks to Tony for the use of the trailer without which the daybed and lathe would still be in the shed!

fletty

Christos
12th July 2016, 09:39 AM
.......Many thanks to Tony for the use of the trailer without which the daybed and lathe would still be in the shed!......

Yes definitely have to thank Tony for the use of the trailer.

.....stop at Boutique Timber to get some timber for me and a pick up for a couple of mates........

There is one little slab in the trailer that will be used by me and a friend. I will say that the timing of Fletty trip was just truly amazing and we are very grateful for his generosity in picking up the slab.

wheelinround
12th July 2016, 10:09 AM
Thanks Alan and Tony

Alan having been down that road it is an amazing drive in to Boutique timbers. Had an old work mate try locate the entrance recently and couldn't he missed the sign:doh:

Did you get to see Scribbly?

Like the handle hope you got two?

fletty
12th July 2016, 11:13 AM
there is one little slab in the trailer........

387415 :doh:

Christos
13th July 2016, 06:41 PM

I was at the club this morning to discuss and cut it up.

Sliding it on a smooth concrete floor was not that bad but once we hit the rough texture concrete it would not move. We have taken photos and will be posting this hopefully within the next two weeks.

Pac man
13th July 2016, 08:54 PM
Should exciting to see photos of a slab sliding across a concrete floor:D

NCArcher
13th July 2016, 09:12 PM
I think that's called a skateboard

fletty
13th July 2016, 09:20 PM
Should exciting to see photos of a slab sliding across a concrete floor:D

It was exciting when a co-opted nearby Kazakh groundsman was roped into helping me 'walk' the slab from the trailer to the clubhouse on it's end like an Easter Island statue! :C

Sawdust Maker
13th July 2016, 09:56 PM
I think that's called a skateboard

hoverboard

fletty
21st July 2016, 06:51 PM
I guess I'm too lazy or 'intellectually challenged' to put these projects into their correct subfora, so I'll just post a few more pics and then work out how to do it 'later'?
The timber I bought for me from Boutique,......

......... rather than the piece that Christos and Mario bought for bridge building, is for my next 2 projects.
The first project relates to a request which came from the customers for the daybed. The request went along the lines of "before you make the first production batch ( BATCH! :o ) could you make a prototype in timber finish"? I bought some camphor laurel slabs from Mal and today starting making the feature pieces..... look at the fiddleback!

388056 388057 388058

I made templates when I made the first painted feature pieces and so it only took a couple of hours to get these done whereas the prototypes took days! I'm hoping to get away with making just the feature pieces, the front cross brace and possibly the back rail as 'timber finish' and keep the rest in much more forgiving painted finish. I think it will be a test of my salesmanship :roll:
The second project has been on the back burner for a while but has leapt to the front after a lucky find in the beautiful little village of Millthorp. I long ago bought a beautiful piece of Afghan jade marble to make an Australian Colonial style marble topped (wine) dresser. I bought some Australian red cedar at SWWWS, also from Boutique, for the main body but nothing much could happen until I found some suitable tiles for the splash back and that's where Millthorp came in. The SWWWS cedar wasn't thick enough to cut the 'legs' so I bought some flitches on the last visit and today starting cutting it down. Legs require straight sides ..... but flitches don't have ANY :no:

388066 388067 388068

So, by the end of today, most of my 'forum express' timber was cut up and inside the shed rather than stacked on the verandah. I also gained quite a pile of camphor smelling firewood offcuts ..... a sweet day!

fletty

Pat
21st July 2016, 09:29 PM
Another reason to raid your offcut bin!

crowie
21st July 2016, 09:38 PM

You said what I was thinking when I first saw how good the timber looks, BUT wasn't game....nice one Pat....

fletty
21st July 2016, 09:44 PM

The current offcut bin already has a "PAT'S PANTRY" label on it but, don't worry Crowie, I cut up a lot of the offcuts into pen blanks .... or exhaust blanks .... or running boards ....or.....

wheelinround
22nd July 2016, 03:22 PM
Good to see you have two fine gents will to scramble for your cast offs :q

One mans off cuts another mans pens eh Pat :p

Alan the Camphor is absolutely glorious to see a full day bed in it :o the user would be like a Kola up a gum tree. Of course these embellishments and fine figured wood add to the price tag by at least a further couple of hundred. :;

ARC nioce too.

pjt
19th February 2017, 01:07 AM
Hi all, it's great to see the transport forum going strong and this thread is exactly what I was hoping would happen.
Cheers all.

Pete