PDA

View Full Version : cupping of Marri Board

Out of the ash
10th July 2016, 06:49 PM
G'day. I had two pieces of Marri joined in W.A. earlier this year. Boxed it and sent it to Melbourne. It sat in the box for about three months in a covered container that unfortunately recently started to leak. Anyway on removal of the top this weekend I find that one side of one end has checked and cupped. How do I get this cup to leave me. I will glue and clamp the check over a period of time, I don't want to bust it off. It is currently unsealed.
Once I have the cup gone I will have to seal it, as it is to live outside under cover of a verandah in Qld. A birthday present for my son. I was living in W.A. at the time of purchase.
I have attached Pics of timber
thanks you to any who can help

387299 387297 387295

BobL
11th July 2016, 11:32 AM
I don't think that the pieces have cupped but rather the joint was not made accurately enough and the two pieces have pulled themselves to meet the glue joint.

This is evident by the way the two sides are themselves fairly straight

I would recut the top along the old job and accurately joint and reglue the two pieces.

John Saxton
14th July 2016, 08:43 PM
The changing of environments can also dictate how timber behaves whether in a deemed finished state or otherwise.A suggestion would be to re work the slabs once you have it in Qld & check the MC for stability .
You might have to resaw the joint and re join once the MC has settled .