PDA

View Full Version : anyone turned mulberry tree?

TimberNut
23rd August 2005, 11:21 AM
Hi Guys,

Has anyone turned mulberry? I've got to cut down a mulberry tree in the backyard (sick of bright bird poop on the clothes on the line).

Was going to trash it, but then wondered if its worth sealing and turning later.
No idea what grain / colour features it has. The tree looks boring (but then lots of nice turned timber comes from 'boring' trees!)

Anyone been there, done that?

Also going to remove a small orange tree. Trunk is only small, but could salvage a couple of offcuts for small ornaments down the track.

Turn them or trash them?

Thanks guys

Babytoolman
23rd August 2005, 12:44 PM
Hi Ian,

I am told that some wood that was given to me was Mulberry and it turned well and has a light yelowish colour with a bown straight grain pattern. If i get home before it gets dark i will post a picture tonight or i will do it tomorrow.

Keep it.

roger

Kev Y.
23rd August 2005, 01:27 PM
Yes I turned up a small piece of Mulberry about three years ago. it had a yellowish tinge to it with an underlying brown grain.

The piece I had ended up as a pen, not a bad timber to turn, and quite pleasant to look at

Cliff Rogers
23rd August 2005, 02:12 PM
I have a large branch stashed in one of my sheds.

It has some interesting bits around forks & the butt where the roots join.

Baz
23rd August 2005, 06:19 PM
Hi Ian, I have turned Mulberry, it is in the same family as Osage Orange, not quiet as Yellow as O O, still fairly hard, finishes well.
Cheers
Barry

outback
23rd August 2005, 07:51 PM
I tried to turn one ages ago, but it was jsut to damn stuck in the ground.

Oh come on, don't tell me you didn't see that coming. :D

dai sensei
23rd August 2005, 08:45 PM
When it comes to a tree I've never used before I cut a section off, turn a simple finger bowl green and see how it looks. It's always worth spending half an hour, you never know what you might find.

I recently got some Tibouchina Noleen (originally thought it was Astonville) and it looks like it will turn out great. I'll post some picks when they have dried out and I finish them in a few months.

Cheers

Cliff Rogers
23rd August 2005, 09:53 PM
I tried to turn one ages ago, ......Oh come on, don't tell me you didn't see that coming. :D

Outback, that was..... ordinary, try a bit harder next time please.:rolleyes:

soundman
23rd August 2005, 10:26 PM
I havn't turned any myself but I have a lump someone turned ito an incence holder. This lump has some bark inclusion & looks more than moderately interesting. Some time soon I will get at it * make it into something more usefull.
What have you got to lose.
Waste no wood.
cheers

outback
23rd August 2005, 10:33 PM
Outback, that was..... ordinary, try a bit harder next time please.:rolleyes:

Sorry :( , I'm in form filling mode for expenditure justification, (no not tools :( ). Boring as all get out. I'll try harder next time.

rsser
24th August 2005, 05:27 PM
Mulberry is lovely stuff and hard to come by commercially; well worth processing for turning.

Can have green/gold tints and even grain. Finishes well as Baz says.

TimberNut
24th August 2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks guys. sounds like it would be worth keeping a couple of bits in storage.

I read on here somewhere that pvc glue can be used to seal end grain. I don't have any endcheck handy, and won't be buying any as i don't often come across green timber (worse luck). But have a fair bit of white pvc glue that I can use to seal the ends when I cut it down.

Advice for / against using it for sealing purposes?

Also, anyone got any pictures that they can post of items turned out of Mulberry??

Cliff Rogers
24th August 2005, 05:56 PM
You can use PVA glue or even some old paint that you don't want.

rsser
24th August 2005, 05:59 PM
This was turned from a very old lump I was given. The younger piece I turned was lighter in colour and had more pronounced green/gold tints.

As for sealing, it's a fruitwood and so needs extra effort. I'd recommend sealing with hot wax for the long run and wrapping in Glad Wrap as soon as you cut it. I think you'll find it worth the effort.

(The upload system isn't working at the moment so I'll try again tomorrow and pm you in the meantime).

Edit: no, I can't attach a jpg to a pm. Bleddy technology. PM me with your email address if you want a pic.

Edit 2: the digital gods have smiled upon me. Upload worked.

dai sensei
24th August 2005, 06:16 PM
Nice piece Ern. Looks similar to Mango.

Cliff Rogers
24th August 2005, 06:43 PM
....Looks similar to Mango.

sure does.

imdusty
26th August 2005, 08:09 AM
Here's one

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=12138&stc=1