PDA

View Full Version : changing handle on shovel

Tiger
23rd August 2005, 01:56 PM
G'day all,

Did something I wouldn't recommend, I was trying to lever some plant tree roots out of the ground using a shovel. The shovel snapped and now some of the handle is stuck in the metallic part of the shovel. I cannot get the broken part of the handle out of the shovel - it is welded:mad::mad: in. I have tried to drill it out, bang it out and made no progress. Could someone please tell me how I can get it out so that I can replace the handle. Thanking you in advance.

Bodgy
23rd August 2005, 01:58 PM
Simple, stick it in the fire and burn the wood away.

Tiger
23rd August 2005, 02:04 PM
Not allowed to start fires where I live.

Clinton1
23rd August 2005, 02:10 PM
What Bodgy said.

Use your gas BBQ.

duckman
23rd August 2005, 03:24 PM
A long auger bit or spade bit will remove a fair amount of the old handle. If the bit is long enough, by removing the centre of the handle, the remainder can be fairly easily collapsed inward allowing you to pull it out piece by piece.

Tools
23rd August 2005, 06:22 PM
Buy a new shovel !

Dr Dee
23rd August 2005, 06:36 PM
Tiger,
Around our way if you leave a piece of wood on the ground in a cool spot the white ants will quickly take care of it. Happy to donate some to you!

Realistically the BBQ is the best suggestion - don't make it too hot just let it get well done and serve with chutney.

It has been (still is) one of those days
cheers

DanP
23rd August 2005, 07:43 PM
I don't get how you can have a bit of timber welded in to a bit of steel. I think you mean the pin that holds the handle in is welded in. Can you take a pic and post it?

If it is the pin, use a centre punch to mark the end for drilling. Mark it as close to the centre of the pin as possible. Use a drill bit the same size as the pin and drill it from both sides to release it.

Dan

ozwinner
23rd August 2005, 08:13 PM
Ive got a shovel Ive had for 30 years, only replaced the metal shovel twice, and the handle 3 times.

Al :)

johnc
23rd August 2005, 08:14 PM
As DanP said, it should be just the pin holding it in, using fire to burn the handle destroys any temper in the steel and leaves you with a fairly worthless lump of steel. Rather than burn replace the shovel. If you can't get the wood out after removing the pin then chuck it under a bench, or somewhere dry and warm. After you have broken the new shovels handle the old ones wood may have shrunk enough to pull it out.

JohnC

DanP
23rd August 2005, 08:25 PM
Once the pin is out of the way you can screw a coach bolt into the end of the handle stub (drill pilot hole), then pull the stub out using the bolt to gain purchase. Make sure you drill the right size pilot or you will expand the handle in the hole and make it very hard to get out.

Dan (Fixing busted stuff is my specialty)

Auld Bassoon
23rd August 2005, 08:26 PM
See Howard Molson - he's always got a new shovelhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

outback
23rd August 2005, 08:26 PM
What Johnc said. DON"T burn out the handle. You'll only ruin a good shovel.

If it is a pin, drill it, chew it, grind off the head, gnaw it, whatever. Then drill out the old handle. whack in a new one, and Bob's yer aunty.

Bodgy
23rd August 2005, 10:43 PM
Guys

You dont just chuck the whole shovel on the fire, just the part that holds the handle. This is not tempered anyway, so the mild steel remains mild steel. Where I grew up, this was normal practice and the shovels, spades etc kept on digging and shovelling. You had to be careful with axe heads tho, just dont let them get hot enough to ruin the temper.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th August 2005, 04:58 PM
Bodgy's got the right of it. 'Tis how we always gorn an' dun it. :)

One imprtant thing: don't quench it! This means do NOT throw a bucket of water over it to cool it down. That will ruin any temper. Put it aside and let it cool down naturally, preferably in a warmish spot. If really concerned, put it in a tray of sand.

Also works for sledgie's, axes, splitters and other timber/metal interfaces. :D

outback
24th August 2005, 07:13 PM
Whilst not wanting to appear dogmatic, I will agree to disagree. I do not think it is good practice placing implements in a fire to remove partial handles.

Hopefully these two points of view have totally confused Tiger, after all that's why we're here. :D

davo453
24th August 2005, 07:41 PM
My dad used to replace them for the local hardware shop, he removed the stubborn part by burning but he would bury the head of the tool in the soil up to just below the bottom of the timber in the socket and light a fire around it thus keeping the temper in all but the socket of the tool.

He never had any complaints that I’m aware of.

Mind you that hardly helps if you are a good citizen and only light fires were you’re told to.

Cheers

Dave

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th August 2005, 08:07 PM
Whilst not wanting to appear dogmatic, I will agree to disagree. I do not think it is good practice placing implements in a fire to remove partial handles.

Fair enough. I'll let you run about on the hot, stinking arvos throwing your tools in the 'frig on the grounds they may lose their temper. Me, unless the metal is glowing I won't worry about it. :D

Hopefully these two points of view have totally confused Tiger, after all that's why we're here. :D

Ssssh! Now you've gone and let the cat outta the bag...

Bodgy
24th August 2005, 11:28 PM
To add offence to Tiger's confusion, we also had a novel way of quenching the fire.

Tiger
25th August 2005, 11:21 AM
Confused :confused: no. I welcome the different opinions. I would never have thought of burning the wood, but I might just try that. Need a surreptitious place, maybe the fireplace inside. The shovel is something of an heirloom and so is worth preserving. I'll let you know how it goes, if you hear about a house burning down under mysterious circumstances, you'll know whose it is. Thanks, boys.