PDA

View Full Version : Filling Pocket Holes

kpphotos
17th July 2016, 08:36 PM
Hi

I've used pocket holes for join up some pine which I'm going to paint white.

Now how so I ask this delicately, I've been told I could use cornice cement since it dries white and is easy to sand, and I have some left over from a previous project?

Or do I just go and buy some wood filler?

Cheers

Xanthorrhoeas
18th July 2016, 04:07 PM
I've never tried it but I suspect it may fall out over time. Plaster is a lot more rigid than timber which moves over time. The best filler for decent sized holes is a gap filling epoxy like Bote-Cote Pacific's Epox-E-Glue. West System epoxy with one of their fillers (micro balloons or other) would be a second choice, though I found that still has a tendency to slump whereas the Bote-Cote does not. Most standard wood fillers tend to shrink in large pockets so need a couple of goes and the ones I have tried do not have the holding strength of the Epox-E-Glue.

Arron
18th July 2016, 05:47 PM
Polyfilla

NCArcher
18th July 2016, 06:55 PM
Here ya go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvJbpU3NSwU

kpphotos
20th July 2016, 09:50 AM
That vid was good, I didn't think that the cornice cememet was appropriate, but I thought I'd ask

Thanks

Christos
24th July 2016, 01:06 PM
I would have also suggested plugs and this fellow in the video made his own.

soundman
6th August 2016, 12:35 AM
Automotive bog is your friend ..... I built speaker boxes and equipment cabinets in the past .....Plywood glued and screwed together with chipboard screws.
I used to burry the heads deep and bog em mover with automotive bog ... its strong resilient and holds to wood very well.

cheers