PDA

View Full Version : Silky Oak Bowl

Jonnydubbs
19th July 2016, 12:14 AM
Just showing my latest turning of a basic bowl. I'm working with less than optimum grade timber since the tree was dead in the ground for a couple of years before it was cut down. However, I'm getting nice results and making the best of each piece I'm working with. Notice my homemade bowl sander, much cheaper than a bought one! $5 for the pad, a $3 bag of sanding discs, and a silky oak handle. I used candle wax to lube the hole so the pad spins freely. It also comes out freely so I need to add a clip to the top of the shaft so it stays in place.

Will have some photos of another couple of projects in a few days. I found a couple of small uprooted silky oak trees on the beach last week so employed my chainsaw and brought them home. I've waxed the sawn ends to slow the drying process. The root ball will provide some interesting figuring!
!387925387924387923387922
Dont know why this system rotates the photos 90 degrees left. It's annoying!

brendan stemp
19th July 2016, 10:34 AM
Nice job, thanks for sharing

Bluegum
20th July 2016, 09:20 PM
Like your work. Nice finish:2tsup:. Looks good

Christos
22nd July 2016, 01:04 PM
When starting to turn it may seem too simplistic to just make bowls. The truth is the more you make the better you get at making a bowl. At least that's the theory. :U

You will find developing a process that suits your style of turning this will also change over time. I guess what I am saying is to keep an open mind on how others approach to turn a bowl.

I have a few pieces that are partly turned due to the crappy nature of the wood(left to rot on the ground ) I have put these aside to think about what I could do in order to save the pieces.

Anyhow keep up the turnings.