PDA

View Full Version : The Head Stock.

issatree
19th July 2016, 01:36 AM
Hi To You All,
I was talking to a New Turner, & he asked How I did a Spindle without a 4 Jaw Chuck.
I asked how are you doing it, at this moment, & he said he was doing them between centres, but his finished Item was a terrible mess.
So I mentioned that he could roughly shape a Taper on one end, enough to fit up the No.2 Morse Taper in the head of the Lathe.
He said " I didn't think of that, but can you do it that way ".
I told him I do it that way quite often, as it is a little quicker, & just as Stable as in a Chuck.
At the moment I've been doing some Lace Bobbins, Great Fun, doing it that way.
When cutting it off at the Tail Stock End, be careful that is up the MT a fair way, say 15mm. other wise it may come out.
When putting it in, a bit of " Tongue Oil " is the way to go, as wet wood expands.

So, How many of you Turners do it this way ???.

brendan stemp
19th July 2016, 10:32 AM
Yep, I use this technique occasionally. It's just a matter of getting the right taper.

issatree
19th July 2016, 10:46 AM
Hi Brendan,
I don't worry to much about the Taper, just as long it goes in, sometimes I give it a tap to knock it a little bit further in, but with Tongue Oil. I usually just make the Taper with my Skew, so it is a bit rough.

David Mitchell
19th July 2016, 10:58 AM
Hi Lewis & Brendan,

I haven't used this method , but must give it a try
Regards
David

joe greiner
19th July 2016, 02:50 PM
I see a need for a Morse taper pencil sharpener.

Cheers,
Joe

Bohdan
19th July 2016, 04:41 PM
Hi To You All,

When putting it in, a bit of " Tongue Oil " is the way to go, as wet wood expands.

Wet wood also grips better.

pommyphil
19th July 2016, 05:24 PM
Wet sticks ?:rolleyes:

Mobyturns
19th July 2016, 09:01 PM
The MT in the headstock is just another crude version of a cup chuck. Various versions of cup chucks (plain or taperd bore & screw) are still available from manufacturers / suppliers such as Woodfast. Woodfast Machinery Co. (Aust.) Pty. Ltd. - (http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_8)

The original and later versions of Escoulen chucks use a range of cup chucks to jamb fit the workpiece for turning.

burraboy
19th July 2016, 09:10 PM
I've been doing some extra long walking stick shanks lately using that technique. I turn the MT on a metal lathe first. With the tail stock at its furthest limit, using the MT instead of a centre gives an inch and 1/2 extra possible length on the shank.

smiife
20th July 2016, 08:22 PM
Hi guys, wouldn, t it be easier for a new turner
to use a live and drive centre ?
They don, t cost a lot of money and last for years

Nubsnstubs
20th July 2016, 11:50 PM
I've been doing some extra long walking stick shanks lately using that technique. I turn the MT on a metal lathe first. With the tail stock at its furthest limit, using the MT instead of a centre gives an inch and 1/2 extra possible length on the shank.

The statement in bold is the only reason I see to turn a spindle using the MT.
If it's mounted, and being worked with spur drive and live center like Smife indicates, why remove the spur and use the MT? ............ Jerry (in Tucson)

issatree
21st July 2016, 12:46 AM
Hi Smife Jerry, Joe,
If I'm using a piece of sq.wood, I remove the Crns. with my Skew Chisel & that is quite enough.
In other words it is as rough as guts, does not have to be perfect.
Smife, a new turner wood be far better off using the MT, as they wood get a far better finish & wood be so much safer than a spur drive.
As stated earlier, wood in the MT is so much Stabler than between centres.
You have to have a fair bit of confidence & Turning knowledge to get a good finish between centres.

issatree
21st July 2016, 12:50 AM
Sorry Jerry,
I forgot about your Idea.
Take 2 pieces of wood, being the same & have a go at both ways & see for yourself.
I'm sure you will find it so much easier in the MT against the spur drive.

Jim Carroll
21st July 2016, 01:31 PM
By using Lewis method you will also run truer as sometime the spur drive can wander of centre or split the timber.

This method works really well when making drum sticks.