PDA

View Full Version : Who would like to try a Tungstan Carbide Bowl Gouge

brendan stemp
22nd July 2016, 12:47 PM
Do you have a need for a TC Bowl Gouge? Well I have 7 TC BG tips for the 10mm Woodcut Pro Tip BG and am wanting turners to trial them for me. Provisos are:
1/ you have a shaft on which you can put the tip
2/ you have a genuine need for a TC BG ie; you work with wood/material that blunts your HSS BG very quickly.
3/ you give it a thorough work out
4/ you provide me with some honest feedback.

Please email me if you are interested: [email protected]

Mobyturns
23rd July 2016, 09:41 AM
I would love to help out but I can only satisfy 1 & 4 in your selection criteria. Very interested to hear the results when you finish testing though.

rtyuiop
23rd July 2016, 10:18 AM
I don't qualify, but very interested to hear how it goes!

Are they intended to be sharpened? If so, does it need a diamond wheel, or can you do it on CBN or something less exotic?

brendan stemp
23rd July 2016, 12:01 PM
THe tips will come sharpened but will also need to be sharpened, eventually. The question of "How often?" will be of interest to me. I do have a diamond wheel which I bought from Woodcraft in the US: Buy WoodRiver Diamond 8" Grinding Wheel, 120 Grit at Woodcraft.com (http://www.woodcraft.com/product/149479/woodriver-diamond-8-grinding-wheel-120-grit.aspx) (I see they are on special for anyone interested). I have used this wheel lots to shaprpen my TC scrapers.

rtyuiop
23rd July 2016, 12:26 PM
I look forward to hearing how the trial goes, I'm a fan of TC tools!

wheelinround
23rd July 2016, 05:28 PM
I am surprised more haven't jumped at the chance Brendon. I would as I have the wood just no lathe set up as yet and time to do the test justice.

dai sensei
23rd July 2016, 06:31 PM
Count me in Brendan. Got some Ebony and Hairy Oak to do amongst others. I also have a number of shafts that should work but can always make another if not. I'll send you an email asap

Pat
23rd July 2016, 06:42 PM
I can utilise a tip, have a few burls that eat HSS for breakfast and will report on findings.

I'll email asap.

KBs PensNmore
23rd July 2016, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the offer :2tsup: Email sent.
Kryn

brendan stemp
25th July 2016, 04:49 PM
Thanks for all the offers to help. I have pleanty of takers now. We will see how they go and report back.

NeilS
25th July 2016, 11:20 PM
Brendan, I'll be following this thread with great interest.

Willy Nelson
26th July 2016, 05:37 PM
Do you have a need for a TC Bowl Gouge? Well I have 7 TC BG tips for the 10mm Woodcut Pro Tip BG and am wanting turners to trial them for me. Provisos are:
1/ you have a shaft on which you can put the tip
2/ you have a genuine need for a TC BG ie; you work with wood/material that blunts your HSS BG very quickly.
3/ you give it a thorough work out
4/ you provide me with some honest feedback.

Please email me if you are interested: [email protected]
Hello Brendan
I have sent ou an email.
By way of satisfying your criteria
1. Yes, I have a big shaft (was this meant to be funny????):o:o:o
2. Yes, I have a genuine need. I turned a lot of WA desert burls and timbers (all dry) including Wandoo Burl (aka Concrete, and steel), Jarrah, York Gum and others
3. Oh yes, I will
4. Feed back, of course will be honest, I am a JP and an Officer and a Gentleman (now that is funny:roll::roll:

Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

Jonnydubbs
27th July 2016, 07:24 AM
Some TC tips arrived by mail yesterday and now I have to get some steel to make a shaft for a tool. I'm also going to make a copier that will use these tips. It will be utilised when turning table legs etc. I would have been happy to test and report on your tips when working with Jarrah, Tallowood and Blackwood.

tony_A
11th September 2017, 09:48 PM
Looking through some old posts and saw this but don't recall seeing any feedback on how the TCT tips performed. Any comments from those involved????

dai sensei
11th September 2017, 11:44 PM
I completely a review but will leave it to Brendan to reply

hughie
12th September 2017, 05:37 AM
I completed a review and left it with Brendan. I gather hes still working on supply etc.

brendan stemp
13th September 2017, 07:40 PM
Yep, I'm working on it, slowly. I have had few busy months and am juggling lots of projects. But I will be getting a few made and also want to get a 13mm done. So there will be a 10 and 13mm. Who out there is interested? I don't know the cost but I think it will be pretty reasonable. I am also working on a diamond wheel for sharpening. I hope this doesn't sound like a big sell. Neil you can decide what to do with this post.

dai sensei
13th September 2017, 07:50 PM
..I will be getting a few made and also want to get a 13mm done. So there will be a 10 and 13mm. Who out there is interested?

Depending on price, I might be interested in the 13mm

d5k
14th September 2017, 12:00 PM
Hi Brendan, certainly interested in the reviews. Regards David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hors
14th September 2017, 01:24 PM
Hello Brendan
I have sent ou an email.
By way of satisfying your criteria
1. Yes, I have a big shaft (was this meant to be funny????):o:o:o
2. Yes, I have a genuine need. I turned a lot of WA desert burls and timbers (all dry) including Wandoo Burl (aka Concrete, and steel), Jarrah, York Gum and others
3. Oh yes, I will
4. Feed back, of course will be honest, I am a JP and an Officer and a Gentleman (now that is funny:roll::roll:

Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

Hey Willy aren't you ex/serving Pusser

No way you can be a gentleman

tony_A
14th September 2017, 09:32 PM
Like d5k above, I would be interested in the reviews.

Tony

sent from my old laptop using twofingers

Geof Ford
14th September 2017, 10:45 PM
Hi Brendan, I would love to try a tip, I sometimes turn red gum, bulloak or she oak also have tried some very hard hardwood . does the tip come with a screw? I
dont have shaft to fit it to but will make one (I hope) Thanks for the offer, if still available would love to try Thanks Geoff Ford, Blighty.

Willy Nelson
14th September 2017, 11:43 PM
Hey Willy aren't you ex/serving Pusser

No way you can be a gentleman

Au contraire, my uneducated mango or Blue Orchid (my assumption on your pedigree). Explanation for those who require one will be forthcoming upon request.

As a Naval Officer, we are bred from the finest stock, fed the nicest foods and keep the best company, hence, our superior station in life and all round deepest respect from those in the civilian populace, or held in awe by those who merely attained membership to the foul and most foreign RAAF and Army.
Sincerely
Willy
also ex Gunbuster
MINN and PST

hughie
15th September 2017, 05:49 AM
Yep, I'm working on it, slowly. I have had few busy months and am juggling lots of projects. But I will be getting a few made and also want to get a 13mm done. So there will be a 10 and 13mm. Who out there is interested? I don't know the cost but I think it will be pretty reasonable. I am also working on a diamond wheel for sharpening. I hope this doesn't sound like a big sell. Neil you can decide what to do with this post.
The 13 sounds very interesting, keep me posted .

Sawdust Maker
15th September 2017, 08:29 AM
maybe interested in a 13

plt43
15th September 2017, 08:37 AM
Depending on price, I might be interested in the 13mm

like he said.... me too !

chambezio
15th September 2017, 08:55 AM
Brendan, I would be interested in a 13mm gouge.

brendan stemp
16th September 2017, 10:06 AM
Neil and Willy, I am happy for you to post your reviews. And I can't remember who else I sent a tip to but you are welcome to post your review. They were all favourable.

Paul39
16th September 2017, 02:06 PM
Au contraire, my uneducated mango or Blue Orchid (my assumption on your pedigree). Explanation for those who require one will be forthcoming upon request.

As a Naval Officer, we are bred from the finest stock, fed the nicest foods and keep the best company, hence, our superior station in life and all round deepest respect from those in the civilian populace, or held in awe by those who merely attained membership to the foul and most foreign RAAF and Army.
Sincerely
Willy
also ex Gunbuster
MINN and PST

As an ex US Army Photographer who spent a winter in WW2 uninsulated barracks in Massachusetts while in a Combat Engineer Battalion, and was invited aboard a US Navy nuclear powered submarine, I can attest the Navy lived much better. I don't know about the "best company", I've seen some fairly messy Gobs on shore leave. :)

NeilS
16th September 2017, 02:58 PM
Brendan, I expect I will get at least one 13mm.

Also looking forward to reading the reviews.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

Willy Nelson
16th September 2017, 10:43 PM
TCT tip review

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen

I was fortunate to receive a TCT tip from Brendan.

At the time, I sent him an email with my thoughts, this happened a fair while ago, will write as much as I remember.

The tip was received through the mail, it is threaded and we made a shaft and handle to suit, I recall a photo was also posted, but possibly in another thread.

My good mate Johnny Scarfe found and purchased a suitable Loctite product to glue the threads. He made the shaft from stainless steel and turned a lovely handle for me, what a good mate!
All I had to do was test it.
If I recall, I used on a bloody hard, repeat Bloody hard piece of Wandoo Burl, wow, cut magnificently!!!! It was my go to tool from then on. My only complaint thus far was the shaft we made was stainless steel and a bit whippy, it had too much flex, the diameter was suitable for the tool, but the shaft was too long. I always have that problem 8-)

Anyhoo, it was next tested on Camphor Laurel and Jarrah, was awesome. I then passed it to John, he reckons it was blunt, he was right. It had done a lot of work before I gave it to him, and in hindsight, I agreed with him.

In consultation with Kevin Luff, a World renowned turner, and all round nice guy, it was determined that, yep, it needed sharpening. We had some problems with this as it is TCT. I think we resorted to diamond files. I cuts nice still, but not as nice as when new. I need to research sharpening of the tool better.

Ironically, at the WA Woodshow, another mate asked me what tools are best on our WA burls, (hardest, best looking and most stunning burls in the world), as it was, I highly recommended these tools, and I thought Brendan was selling them at the show, alas, he was not.

In summary. Brilliant tips, if you don't mind making handles and threading a shaft to suit them. I reckon a couple of 13mm or bigger would sit well in my arsenal of tools, but only once I learn to sharpen them better.

Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

dai sensei
17th September 2017, 01:59 PM
...I reckon a couple of 13mm or bigger would sit well in my arsenal of tools, but only once I learn to sharpen them better...

I found a diamond hone worked for a few sharpens, but then I used a diamond wheel on my Tormek

letzzzgo
1st October 2017, 05:38 PM
Hi Brendan
I am also interested in the reviews as I am making a couple of carbide tools myself.
Could you also tell me what size cutter was trialled?

Regards John

dai sensei
1st October 2017, 11:53 PM
Hi Brendan
I am also interested in the reviews as I am making a couple of carbide tools myself.
Could you also tell me what size cutter was trialled?

Regards John

It wasn't a cutter, it was a solid carbide bowl gouge tip

hughie
2nd October 2017, 07:57 AM
Neil and Willy, I am happy for you to post your reviews. And I can't remember who else I sent a tip to but you are welcome to post your review. They were all favourable.
You can post mine if you wish Brendan

Pat
2nd October 2017, 08:19 AM
Brendan, when will these be available and for what cost?

Yes I play with E.Concretus and it's barsteward cousin E.Silica :q

dai sensei
2nd October 2017, 10:11 AM
Neil and Willy, I am happy for you to post your reviews..

Here you go

ronboult
2nd October 2017, 01:41 PM
Hi Neil
Your picture of the gouge tip in your review makes it difficult to see the flute shape and angle.
It appears to have a fairly shallow flute and about a 45deg grind.
Any comments?
Thanks
Ron

dai sensei
2nd October 2017, 08:03 PM
Hi Neil
Your picture of the gouge tip in your review makes it difficult to see the flute shape and angle.
It appears to have a fairly shallow flute and about a 45deg grind.
Any comments?
Thanks
Ron

Good point Ron. I should have taken more photos of its profile and made some comments. To be honest I can't remember much, it was ~12 months ago, but it is 45 degrees and I did have a few long a deep discussions with Retired on it. It was a standard Woodcut grind and I had to be careful when sharpening it on the Tormek to keep the shape as it is not a standard grind for their jigs. If the review was ever going to be published I would consider amending it to include some more details.

brendan stemp
2nd March 2018, 10:01 AM
I know this is taking a long time but the TC bowl gouge idea is not dead. I have been exploring a partnership with a manufacturer and these things can take some time. Hughie, Dai Sensai and Willy all gave me excellent reviews (thanks fellas), all very favourable. I am also researching diamond wheels to sharpen the tips easily. So stay tuned.