PDA

View Full Version : Copy Lathe has anyone seen one of these?

Freddofrog
24th July 2016, 11:03 AM
I acquired this Copy Lathe some years ago as is, including rusted rails, and copy mechanism completely frozen.
Couldn't bring myself to use, (wouldn't be any pride in what I may have produced), it till I got around to refurbishing it. A home relocation and house build later, and now I have had the time to refurbish the lathe. Almost finished. It has the facility for outside turning and I will be making a tool rest setup for that.
But I cannot find any information on the net regarding this model or ideally a manual. The problem is this unit possibly predates the common use of the internet.
Any assistance would be appreciated :U​

wheelinround
24th July 2016, 06:34 PM
that looks beaut well done more photos may help ID it and some makers info so we may help search.
The photo looks like two different lathes.

clear out
24th July 2016, 07:09 PM
I am pretty sure they have one of these at the Sttrathfield Men's Shed.
Was similarly frozen but one of the guys Peter has just about refurbished it.
I don't think they have any paper on it.
H.

KBs PensNmore
24th July 2016, 07:23 PM
Hard to believe it's the same lathe, well done, that's something to be proud of.:2tsup: Any chance of a pic of the tag on the headstock please, it might jolt someone's memory.
Kryn

artme
24th July 2016, 07:37 PM
Very nice resto!! A really great reault for the amount of elbow grease you obviously used!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Paul39
25th July 2016, 07:44 AM
I acquired this Copy Lathe some years ago as is, including rusted rails, and copy mechanism completely frozen.
Couldn't bring myself to use, (wouldn't be any pride in what I may have produced), it till I got around to refurbishing it. A home relocation and house build later, and now I have had the time to refurbish the lathe. Almost finished. It has the facility for outside turning and I will be making a tool rest setup for that.
But I cannot find any information on the net regarding this model or ideally a manual. The problem is this unit possibly predates the common use of the internet.
Any assistance would be appreciated :U​

You could go here and go down the list of wood lathes to see if a photo matches: Lathes (http://lathes.co.uk/)

Coronet came to mind immediately.

I put "old lathe with twin bar bed" into Google images and this is a photo that came up: Coronet & Record No.1, 2 and 3 wood lathes

(http://www.lathes.co.uk/coronet/page5.html)Beautiful job on the lathe.

Freddofrog
25th July 2016, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the positive replies. Yes it was a big job dismantling the lathe to the last nut and bolt. Had some complications......no detailed pre dismantling photos.. opps. Also when removing the threaded rod from the head stock the gears and bearings fell out before I got a chance to see how they go together. The bearings are like two washers with ball bearings between held in place with grease.....the bearings were scattered on the floor. Ever piece of "bright" steel or chrome was rusted, the rails the worse including some pitting.
There is no makers name as its a "Chinese/ Taiwan" generic model.

Freddofrog
25th July 2016, 04:46 PM
Thanks Clear Out, have messaged The Men's Shed to see what they have