PDA

View Full Version : Dashcam recommendations

Ironwood
25th July 2016, 08:42 AM
My wife has expressed the want/need for a dashcam for her car. Does anyone have any recommendations or things to look out for.

crowie
25th July 2016, 09:48 AM
After my recent experience I too would be interested in see what folk say, especially something inexpensive that works well...thank you for asking the question...

BobR
25th July 2016, 03:34 PM
After much research including various forums I settled on a Street Guardian SG9665GC. Some youtube videos on this device. Good luck

jchappo
26th July 2016, 09:20 AM
After much research including various forums I settled on a Street Guardian SG9665GC. Some youtube videos on this device. Good luck

+1.

Ironwood
26th July 2016, 10:47 AM
Thanks Bob, I will check that one out.

GeoffW1
26th July 2016, 11:15 AM
Hi,

I'm using a DOD LS460W, and quite pleased with it. The video quality is good and it has lots of optional settings.

On my bicycle I have a cheaper one, in which you can see the difference in video quality. It is hard to change the date stamp, which is about the only option in it.

1080P HD Bike Motorcycle Helmet Sports Mini Action Camera Video DVR DV Camcorder | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1080P-HD-Bike-Motorcycle-Helmet-Sports-Mini-Action-Camera-Video-DVR-DV-Camcorder-/351713509815?hash=item51e3c241b7:g:IO8AAOSwubRXGEQp)

Cheers

NathanaelBC
26th July 2016, 04:42 PM
Check out Dash Cam Reviews | (http://dashcamownersaus.com.au/dash-cam-reviews/)

Ironwood
26th July 2016, 09:03 PM
Hi,

I'm using a DOD LS460W, and quite pleased with it. The video quality is good and it has lots of optional settings.

On my bicycle I have a cheaper one, in which you can see the difference in video quality. It is hard to change the date stamp, which is about the only option in it.

1080P HD Bike Motorcycle Helmet Sports Mini Action Camera Video DVR DV Camcorder | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1080P-HD-Bike-Motorcycle-Helmet-Sports-Mini-Action-Camera-Video-DVR-DV-Camcorder-/351713509815?hash=item51e3c241b7:g:IO8AAOSwubRXGEQp)

Cheers

Check out Dash Cam Reviews | (http://dashcamownersaus.com.au/dash-cam-reviews/)

Thanks for the links guys.

skot
30th July 2016, 11:17 PM
I have BlackVue DR650GW-2CH for each of my & SWMBO cars and recently purchased a BlackVue DR650GW-1CH (with mounting modification) for rental cars while on holidays. They are not cheap but very compact and fit neatly behind the rear vision mirror.

I am very happy with them. They do not have screens but use bluetooth connection to either Ipad, Iphone or Android app for viewing in camera.

There is a desktop programme for more advanced editing & viewing using the SD Card

Ironwood
7th September 2016, 08:57 PM
Just to update this thread for continuity.
I would have preferred to buy something off a local store here in Mackay, I visited most, if not all that sell dashcams.
There were a few selling brands that I had never heard of before, and couldn't find any info or reviews online, so they were discounted right away. This pretty much left only a few Navman models that I could buy locally, but after much reading of online reviews I also decided to give them a miss.
The local Garricks Camera shop told me Navman had some new models about to be released, but I couldn't wait to see what they had to offer.
I ended up buying a Street Guardian SG9665SC, but had to shop outside Mackay and get it shipped to me, only took a couple of days to arrive, so far I have been very happy with this decision. The video quality is great.

I just did a trip up to Townsville, I hit the event button a few times, crossing a couple of bridges, and driving just on dusk when the farmers were burning their Cane paddocks. When I get time, I will download these and see how they look on the camera.

Thanks to everyone who offered advise and suggestions, much appreciated.