PDA

View Full Version : Need criticism for this idea...

Redback
24th August 2005, 02:02 PM
I had an idea for a table top that I want to build for my wife.

She wants a craft room, which is basically going to be a desk that runs around 3 walls of a room and then a large desk jutting into the room. (a cutting table for her sewing).

Anyway, I have worked out a basic design. For the table surface, to get a nice timber look without the huge expense, I though about having a MDF base, and then laying tongue and groove timber floating flooring that you can buy by the square metre quite cheaply.

If I could then lay this on top of the MDF, and then edge the sides of it with some hardwood. At the rear of the table, I would have the hardwood sitting above the table by about 10 mm and round it over as sort of a lip to stop stuff sliding off the back. Within this lip, I would rebate a groove for the floating flooring to sit in, leaving enough of a gap to alllow for expansion.

Does this sound like a reasonable idea?

If this is not clear I can post some pics....

cheers

RB

Trav
24th August 2005, 02:19 PM
Redback - I understand what you are suggesting. It would probably work, although it wouldn't be dead flat as you can feel the joins between the boards.

Why don't you make it from veneered MDF? By the time you bought the mDF and the boards, you could probabyl get the veneered MDF for the same cost. You can get the boards in various thicknesses - planty thick enough for a bench such as the one you are describing.

Trav

Sir Stinkalot
24th August 2005, 02:19 PM
I did something similar with a computer desk. Mdf base and then jarrah t+g flooring over. I have found some movement along the t+g lines ..... it could be because of the mdf moving or the fact that I glued down the boards.

I am just about to start another one .... this time with floating boards over a ply base. I dont plan to glue this time, just float over the top with the side trim holding the top in place.

Jim Carroll
24th August 2005, 06:48 PM
Why dont you just use 2 layers of MDF with the timber trim. You get a solid bench top and you dont have the worry of the timber moving . Give it a coat of laquer and you have a clean smooth surface. Ideal for all sorts of crafts. Timber may look good but once it is covered in bits and peices no one will know the differance.

Cagey
24th August 2005, 07:16 PM
id go with just MDF as mentioned, then get her to be "crafty" on it, with decoupage, stencelling, faux finishes and the like. give her the sense of having created it.

doug the slug
24th August 2005, 07:22 PM
give her the sense of having created it.

Cagey you have played this game before, havent you

gazaly
24th August 2005, 08:23 PM
I agree with Trav, you can get some realy great veneers on mdf or even ply, in good thick boards (25mm).

Have a look at www.timbertraders.com.au (http://www.timbertraders.com.au) They're in Bibra Lake and do heaps of stuff.

I recently made a desk unit for my daughter that has a ply top (25mm). Finished it with a couple of coats of laquer and is hard as. Come over and have a look if ya want.

I reckon this might be cheaper than with the floor boards but I could be wrong (could I?) :rolleyes:

Cagey
24th August 2005, 08:39 PM
Cagey you have played this game before, havent you

Doug been with the same girl/woman for 27 years (yes since 13) so must be doin something wrong...i mean right :D. Beleive me the "honey would you like to join in on my hobby...heres the broom" approach didnt work :rolleyes:.

gazaly
24th August 2005, 08:45 PM
...been with the same girl/woman for 27 years...

You are a god, I bow to you sire ;)

Cagey
24th August 2005, 08:50 PM
Gazaly, a crows supporter in WA..hows that workin out. you must be feelin pretty damn happy with yourself about now. heres 1 totally impartial victorian that hopes you guys kick some eagle butt

hardwarehunter
24th August 2005, 08:56 PM
formrite is a ply used for forming up concrete, (black faced board)
it is smooth so it would be good for sliding things on.
it also has a hardwood face
and an abond glueline.
because of the laminantions it is stronger than mdf
it is very easy to clean as well.
approx price would be $75 to $90 dollars a sheet

Grunt
24th August 2005, 08:57 PM
Need criticism for this idea...

What a stuffed idea. Can't believe you thought of it. Completely pointless. Why would you want to do that?

How's that for criticism?

:D:D

gazaly
24th August 2005, 08:58 PM
Gazaly, a crows supporter in WA..hows that workin out. you must be feelin pretty damn happy with yourself about now. heres 1 totally impartial victorian that hopes you guys kick some eagle butt

My freind, I'll be about as popular as cancer on Sunday morning, following our win!

Playing the theme song full bore from 0600 won't help things either.:D

Have a greenie for hating the weagles!

soundman
24th August 2005, 09:35 PM
Redaback
It would probably be easier and more sucessfull to go with an all ply top with solid timber edging. Than he original idea.
Your choice of ply will determine how much work you will have getting a nice finish and how hard wearing the top will be.
I would tend to 19mm luan ply with anice thhick tas oak edge. grain fill, sanding sealer & a couple of coats of poly.
If you want a beefier edge rebate the ply into some kd hardwood stud for the edge. a siutable frame under will give you a very solid bench with a nice smooth stable surface.
BB hop pine would be a somilar price with pine edges.
CD structrula will ceertainly be cheaper but it will be more work to finish.
MDF with poly paving paint(applied as if its a laquer) works well and is very hard wearing.
you have heaps of choices.
cheers.

Pat
24th August 2005, 09:47 PM
I think Soundman is trying to out do Gumby for typo's! :) Don't worry Soundman I make plenty, even with checking everything twice! :D :D :D

Auld Bassoon
24th August 2005, 09:52 PM
id go with just MDF as mentioned, then get her to be "crafty" on it, with decoupage, stencelling, faux finishes and the like. give her the sense of having created it.

Hi Cagey,

I like it. I like simple, and this sounds like a good one. Not sure about the "decoupage", I assume you mean, and the like?
http://www.decoupage.org/Winter%202005/Cover-Happy%20Veirs%20egg.gif
Looks like at least a few LN tools as a counter bargainhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cheers!

Harry72
24th August 2005, 09:53 PM
Id go with your idea RB just let the T&G float like its supposed to, hold it in place by the edges like you said.

Tonyz
25th August 2005, 10:04 PM
For my 'beloveds' craft room I laid a 5mm thick sheet of MDF on the floorput a VERY thin layer/film of water on it then droped, threw, and sprayed oil based color paints all over it. Then from doorway and open windows used the old vacuum cleaner going to spread and mix the colors around. Let it dry a few days then about 4 coats of clear decking oil to protect it. We moved out last year and it had been in constant use for over 5 years. Tonto

Redback
26th August 2005, 01:29 PM
Cheers guys.

Well I have a couple of large 2400 * 1200 sheets of MDF I bought a while ago when I put together my entertainment unit, hence why I would rather utilise this rather than let it go to waste.

I like the decoration idea.

Got 3 weeks to think about this while Im away ski-ing...so Ill decide later :)

Gazaly.....Even though Im not as much as a footy follower as you, if we weren't off to NZ tonight, Id invite you around tomorrow to watch the Eagles kick your asses on the big screen :D

Redback

gazaly
26th August 2005, 03:07 PM
Gazaly.....Even though Im not as much as a footy follower as you, if we weren't off to NZ tonight, Id invite you around tomorrow to watch the Eagles kick your asses on the big screen :D Redback

Enjoy the slopes Reddas, when ya get back, we'll have a beer and i'll tell ya all about our great win! :D

Keep away from the sheep, esspecially the ones wearing makeup :eek:

Redback
26th August 2005, 05:23 PM
dream on

(but then I wont know the result till I get back (dont expect kiwi tv will follow the afl that much!)

well if it turns out to be a adelaide ealges final, you can come around to watch it.

see you on my triumphant return!

Redback

WOOhooo Im on holidays!!! :)

echnidna
26th August 2005, 09:10 PM
For my 'beloveds' craft room I laid a 5mm thick sheet of MDF on the floorput a VERY thin layer/film of water on it then droped, threw, and sprayed oil based color paints all over it. Then from doorway and open windows used the old vacuum cleaner going to spread and mix the colors around. Let it dry a few days then about 4 coats of clear decking oil to protect it. We moved out last year and it had been in constant use for over 5 years. Tonto

A marbled floor - nice