PDA

View Full Version : Learning to turn wood.

Bitslong
27th July 2016, 08:33 PM
Picked up a lathe recently and have gotten it set up almost ready to have a crack. However, as I've never been exposed to it, and have read may others suggesting that doing an intro course is like covering 6 months of mistakes, I'm interested in undertaking something of the sort.
I'm out west of Melbourne (Bacchus Marsh) and haven't been able to find anything west of Melbourne yet.
Has anyone heard of a short course that would be suitable out my way?

:)
(I've watched a fair number of safety vids, getting started vids etc but hands on experience is gold)

Goggomobile
27th July 2016, 09:36 PM
Hi ... Why not join a club and go once a week. There are a lot of benefits ....

I found using a friendly and easy to work with timber a great start.

Still I made alot of mistakes regardless of the lessons ... Don't be afraid to make a start.

Gary H
29th July 2016, 08:25 PM
I suggest you contact the Laurels Mens Shed as they may have a woodturner among their members.
Address is 229 Main Street, Bacchus Marsh and the contact is John De Bortoli on (03) 5367 1061.
Golden riules are (1) never be afraid to ask and (2) never lose your sense of humour (you'll need it).
And enjoy this great hobby.

Gary
<tbody>

</tbody>
<address></address>

Christos
29th July 2016, 11:34 PM
There are a number of things that you can do The first I would suggest joining a club in your local area.

If you don't like that idea the second option would be to seek help from a turner on this forum. The third option would be to watch videos of turners. The problem I have of the last suggestion is that some youtube videos don't practice safe turning and unless you turn how do you know what is safe or not.

Thats why why it would be better to watch and ask question when you start turning.

Another suggestion and one that might be a little harder is to seek advise from the forum members. Preferably before you get into any strife

Chesand
30th July 2016, 07:51 AM
I think Roy Green at Get Woodworking in Kororoit Creek Rd, Altona teaches wood turning. I realise that it is not very close to the Marsh but would not be hard to get to.

Mobyturns
30th July 2016, 08:00 AM
Perhaps there may be a forumite who lives nearby that can get you started on the basics.

Best word of advice is to get some basic tuition very early on. It will make your turning far more enjoyable, save you a lot of time and perhaps quite a bit of grief.

So many new turners get discouraged because they can't figure out the basics and get frustrated or hurt and then walk away from turning.

Paul39
2nd August 2016, 11:28 AM
Perhaps there may be a forumite who lives nearby that can get you started on the basics.

Best word of advice is to get some basic tuition very early on. It will make your turning far more enjoyable, save you a lot of time and perhaps quite a bit of grief.

So many new turners get discouraged because they can't figure out the basics and get frustrated or hurt and then walk away from turning.

I agree with the above. I started with a 7 inch swing Chinese metal lathe, a sharpened bench chisel and screwdriver, and sharpened them on a 1 inch wide belt sander. I had no instruction and did some reading and practiced. My early bowls took 30 to 40 hours. Lots of trial and error.

Now, admittedly with better equipment, I can put a dry blank on the lathe and take off a finished bowl in 3 - 4 hours.

Start slowly and carefully and pay attention to what the tool is doing and what you do to change what the tool is doing. Do good first, speed and ease will come shortly. Keep your sessions under two hours, shorter if you tire, cramp, or get annoyed.

Between 20 and 40 hours in front of the lathe, a couple hours a day, everything should get easier.

Turning, next to flying, is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

DonIncognito
2nd August 2016, 01:53 PM
If you don't like that idea the second option would be to seek help from a turner on this forum. The third option would be to watch videos of turners. The problem I have of the last suggestion is that some youtube videos don't practice safe turning and unless you turn how do you know what is safe or not.

First set of videos to watch is the set did on various safety aspects.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/safety-videos-161992