PDA

View Full Version : Adelaide meet and greet (2)

zenwood
24th August 2005, 03:05 PM
Time for another? If you can make it to Eden Hills on 11 Sept. at about 1.00 p.m., let us know. I don't have a fancy entertainment setup like ndru, so if you want to sit down, you'll have to bring a chair. If someone's got a barbie they can bring, I'll be happy to supply the meat etc.

ndru
24th August 2005, 03:43 PM
Hi Drew,

Sounds great, but I think that coincides with the weekend that I'm on my own with my 2-year-old son. :eek: I'll check with SWMBO and if I'm free I'll definitely be there. I'll also aim to bring along something of interest for the group.

a fancy entertainment setup like ndru

I'll have to let SWMBO that people think our backyard is "fancy" - she wants to put in a huge pergola out the back for entertaining!

Harry72
24th August 2005, 11:09 PM
I'll have to let SWMBO that people think our backyard is "fancy" - she wants to put in a huge pergola out the back for entertaining!

Hmmm huge pergola, classic excuse for a new SCMsaw and table saw and many measuring tools... dont forget you need more clamps!

I'll have to wait until I get back to work before knowing if I can come, I need the new roster sheet.

TrevorOwen
25th August 2005, 12:00 AM
Drew

Will have to let you know a little closer to the date. If I am able to come I could bring a small round gas BBQ that would do the job OK. Will be in touch.

Regards
Trevor

Studley 2436
25th August 2005, 01:11 AM
At this stage I can be there. Don't have a barby I can bring. What about chucking a steel plate over a hole in the ground with a fire in it. Get rid of all those offcuts

Studley

Ian007
25th August 2005, 02:46 AM
I should be there but will check

Cheers Ian :)

kiwigeo
25th August 2005, 06:13 AM
Starting to sound like an old record here.....job here is dragging big time and Ill still be on board this rig on Sept 11th. There is a slight chance I might be off but if I turn up it'll be inside a white van and Ill be trussed in a straight jacket. I wont be a very safe person to be let loose near any power tools!

Will let you know if by some miracle I get off the job earlier.

Cheers Martin

zenwood
25th August 2005, 10:09 AM
Starting to sound like an old record here....Martin: you know those noisy whirly things? Yer supposed to get on 'em. :D:D.

Commiserations.

ndru
25th August 2005, 11:59 AM
a new SCMsaw and table saw and many measuring tools... dont forget you need more clamps!
...and the compressor, framing nail gun, finish gun, spray gun, impact screw driver, etc, etc, etc....

I will be able to attend but I may need to hitch a ride with someone (next year I'm going to buy a second car).

Unfortunatley, I don't have a portable BBQ.

Studley 2436
25th August 2005, 12:15 PM
lets make a fire out of ofcuts and thread the snags onto sticks to cook them.

Maybe we should sing Kum Ba Ya

Studley

ndru
25th August 2005, 12:33 PM
lets make a fire out of ofcuts and thread the snags onto sticks to cook them.

I might be able to bring along the "Mundine Grill" along from Marion shopping centre (see attached)

zenwood
25th August 2005, 01:40 PM
I'm assuming we won't get pinged by fire bans?? If that's true, then I'd be happy to put on a bonfire, I've got plenty of firewood. If someone's got a metal plate for the meat, so much the better. I'm sure the boys'd have a great time with marshmallows.

Anyone got a grate?

javali
25th August 2005, 05:53 PM
If SWMBO allows I will be there.

Tankstand
25th August 2005, 06:16 PM
Won't know if I can attend until closer to the date.

Zen, M8, No Barbie! :eek:

Daddles
26th August 2005, 12:01 AM
I'll let you know closer to the date. I've got the kids that day, which isn't a problem I guess. I've also got a circular barbie, but it's a wood fired one. Hasn't been used in 20 years but I can clean her up and bring her if needed.

Cheers
Richard

zenwood
27th August 2005, 06:08 PM
Won't know if I can attend until closer to the date.

Zen, M8, No Barbie! :eek:
What a bunch of gung-ho blokes eh? All need to get swmbo's permission.

(Of course, I got her permission too:D)

Tanstand: Does that mean you don't have a barbie or you don't want one?

Reminds me of the Barbie museum in Rat Race hehe.

Ian007
27th August 2005, 06:30 PM
What a bunch of gung-ho blokes eh? All need to get swmbo's permission.

(Of course, I got her permission too:D)

Tanstand: Does that mean you don't have a barbie or you don't want one?

Reminds me of the Barbie museum in Rat Race hehe.

Please do not include me in your "All" thanks Zenwood ;)

Cheers Ian :)

Studley 2436
27th August 2005, 06:32 PM
Likewise

Tankstand
27th August 2005, 08:46 PM
If someone's got a barbie they can bring, I'll be happy to supply the meat etc.

Zen, M8, No Barbie!

No Zen, my comment was in reference to your post which hints to you possibly not owning one!

TanKstand: Does that mean you don't have a barbie or you don't want one?

Yes, I own one :D and I never turned one down yet! :D

Harry72
27th August 2005, 11:23 PM
Yum BarbieQ... I confess I dont own a BBQ I spent the money on tools instead!

Dont need SWMBO permission yet... I'll start the begging regime in the next couple of days ;)

TrevorOwen
30th August 2005, 09:26 PM
Zenwood
I think it's time to commit so that you can order the goodies and to give people enough time to think of all the questions they want to ask the experts.
I will be there come Sept 11 and I will bring my little gas portable BBQ which will do the job admirably. That way precious wood can be saved from the flames Studley. If you want a ride Andrew(Ndru) just let me know and I can pick you up, no problem. I've noticed a few new Adelaide woodies posting recently and i'm sure they would be welcome wouldn't they Zenwood? I think the theme similar to last time is the way to go (show and tell etc). I would like to see a Lie Neilsen low angle smoother if anyone has one to show. Any other ideas welcome i'm sure. Tankstand, are you going to bring your friend Ti....?

Regards
Trevor

zenwood
31st August 2005, 12:29 AM
OK: my 'all' was too general. As I told my wife the other day, "All people who make sweeping generalisations are idiots.":D

New members are welcome. If anyone knows any stout-hearted Adelaidean EBWWF woodies who are not aware of this M&G, please direct their attention to this thread.

Trevor & TanKstand (it was not a skin-care comment, just an honest tyop): Tikki has been in communication via PM, and is bringing her BBQ, as well as some, ahem, vegetable matter:eek:;). I reckon if you could bring your BBQ as well, Trevor, it might be handy. Don't know final numbers yet, but my impression is that a second BBQ may be required. (As to my owning a BBQ or not, I believe there are the components of a gas BBQ lying around in the cobwebs of the crannies (not the nooks) of the old shed, but the bottle has been empty since at least early 2000.)

Firewood: it will not all be saved (this sounds vaguely Biblical - ?). No. 2 son has already prepared the bonfire site, and is awaiting same with eager anticipation. If someone has a large hotplate sans bakelite handle, etc., it'll do well over the fire.

As per last time, I will PM all the definite attenders with address details etc a few days before the event. If these people could maybe send me their emails, I can send them a map. When I post these off, I will post a list here of those who I think are the definite attenders.

Show-and-tell items sound like the go.

ndru
31st August 2005, 11:43 AM
If you want a ride Andrew(Ndru) just let me know and I can pick you up, no problem.

Many thanks for the offer, Trevor. I confirmed with SWMBO that I'll be able to make my own way there on the day, although I'll be able to stay for only a couple of hours.

I'll see if I can bring something along of interest to the group.

Looking forward to it!

himzol
31st August 2005, 08:08 PM
Hmmm..... could be tricky on a Sunday,
my son plays football (aka soccer) and doesn't finish until about noon.

I should know if I can make it closer to the day.

Himzo.

zenwood
6th September 2005, 11:38 PM
Have sent PM's with the details to the following:

Studley
ndru
javali
TrevorOwen (bringing BBQ)
Harry72
Ian007
Kiwigeo
Tankstand
Daddles
himzol
Tikki (bringing BBQ, onions, and fruit)

I will provide meat. Please bring a chair, or you'll be sitting on a sawhorse:D.

Anyone who wants to come and is not on the list, let me know, and I'll send you a PM.

ndru
6th September 2005, 11:58 PM
Have sent PM's with the details to the following:
Kiwigeo

Kiwigeo : managed to get off the rig, or are you just going to put a mannequin in your cot with a snoring sound effects tape underneath?

kiwigeo
7th September 2005, 11:25 PM
Kiwigeo : managed to get off the rig, or are you just going to put a mannequin in your cot with a snoring sound effects tape underneath?

Body is off the rig but the mind is somewhere between Darwin and Adelaide.

Daddles
8th September 2005, 01:22 AM
Body is off the rig but the mind is somewhere between Darwin and Adelaide.

We don't want your mind mate, only your body :eek:

Richard

Yup, I'll be there and I'll be foising my little princess on you lot ... so behave :p

ndru
9th September 2005, 02:22 PM
Zenwood

It looks like the weather might turn ugly on Sunday. Will this disrupt your plans?

Tankstand
9th September 2005, 06:25 PM
I'll be dropping in to say G'day!

kiwigeo
9th September 2005, 08:56 PM
Id like to offer my apologies to you all....for a variety of reasons I wont be able to make it to the meet and greet at 'drews this weekend.

Once things settle down a bit with my work and the weather gets a bit more predictable I'll be having a workshop "christening" up here in Stirling. Details will be posted nearer to the date....will be sometime in mid to late November. Should have a guitar in the process of being constructed by then so will be something to talk about.

Cheers Martin

zenwood
9th September 2005, 10:30 PM
Next three days for Adelaide City :

Sunday : Min 9 Max 15 Windy. Showers easing later.
Monday : Min 9 Max 17 Morning shower.
Tuesday : Min 10 Max 19 Evening shower.
We're in the lap of the gods at this point. If the weather gets too foul we can always retreat to the shed...or (shock! horror!) the house.

See ya's all there. Remember to bring a seat.

I have sent a map to everyone who I have an email for. If you want a map, send me an email, and I'll send it by return.

The firewood for the bonfire is keeping dry in the shed, so we shouldn't get too cold: might just have to hold an umbrella over it.

himzol
9th September 2005, 10:51 PM
my son plays football (aka soccer) and doesn't finish until about noon.

Sorry folks,

found out tonight that kick off is at 11:00, and seeing it's at the other end of town I don't think I'm going to be able to make it.

Himzo.

tonysa
10th September 2005, 12:52 AM
oops, just seen post but unfortunately have prior engagement, will hopefully catch up next time

cheers
tony

Harry72
10th September 2005, 01:05 AM
Yep I cant make it either... to much work on ATM got a bar to finish before the footy GF where this bar will be christened!

zenwood
10th September 2005, 01:34 AM
OK, remaining attenders are:

Studley
ndru
javali
TrevorOwen (bringing BBQ)
Ian007
Tankstand
Daddles + 2
Tikki (bringing BBQ, onions, and fruit)

Has anyone got a tarp? If so, we could put it up outside the shed if we get inundated.;):D

ndru
10th September 2005, 10:48 AM
Zenwood

I hate to add to the list of apologies, but...

I came down with flu on Thursday and am still getting over it. SWMBO also came down with it yesterday. This pretty much leaves me to look after ndru junior this Sunday (again!) :( :( :( :(

I hope to catch up with you sometime in the near future, though. I'll drop you a PM after the BBQ and try to arrange something if you're interested.

Hope you all have fun!

Tikki
11th September 2005, 08:11 PM
Many thanks to zenwood and his wife for their hospitality and the wonderful spread. 'Twas great to put faces to forum names ... nice to meet you all. :) (Ian, how did you get your head in every pic? :D :D )

Photo 1
Daddles, Ian007 and Studley2436
Photo 2
TrevorOwen, Ian007 and zenwood
Photo 3
Tankstand and Ian007
Photo 4
zenwood, Studley2436, Tankstand, javali, TrevorOwen, Tikki, Daddles (and his princess) and Ian007

zenwood
11th September 2005, 09:08 PM
Studley, Tikki and TrevorOwen checking out the Grriperrrs.
Still checking them out.
Tankstand and Ian007 checking out Mujis and an LN LA smoothie
Studley, Javali and TrevorOwen
Ditto

zenwood
11th September 2005, 09:11 PM
Tikki in a playful mood, sneaking up behind TrevorOwen:eek:
Tankstand Ian007 and Daddles

Thanks to all for coming and contributing to a beaut arvo. Now we all know what a woodworker's garden looks like;)

Daddles
11th September 2005, 11:05 PM
Twas a great little barbie. Thanks to zenwood and his hard working, long suffering missus. Good to meet you all :D

Richard

Tankstand
11th September 2005, 11:49 PM
Thankyou very much to our hosts today, a magnificent spread for such a motley bunch! (Tikki excepted :D )

Very impressed with your collection of toys Drew! I may have to look further into those dark side methods! :)

Thankyou Tikki for the fruit! :)

javali
11th September 2005, 11:56 PM
Thanks Zenwood. It was a great afternoon.

Studley 2436
12th September 2005, 12:27 AM
Had a good time. Good to see the gang again and meet the very impressive Tikki. Should have heard Mrs Zenwood when she saw Tikkis intarsia!

Zen you have a great opportunity to get yourself a scrollsaw now.

Studley

Harry72
12th September 2005, 02:40 AM
Looks like I missed a good day... er um and a good BBQ, alas spent the day M&T'ing some raised panel frames!

Is it just me or is big Ian in nearly every pic taken? So Tiki the sneeky photo taker!
Yes Zen you need a scrollsaw... keep saying to yourself I need a scrollsaw I need a scrollsaw... after a while you'll actually believe it! :)

zenwood
12th September 2005, 05:23 AM
I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw.

Ian007
12th September 2005, 06:51 AM
Hey Flash missed you yesterday.

Mate Im only in what seems like every shot because
1: Im built like a Yetti
2: I love being in photos (pigs bum)
3: Drews Shed is smaller than it looks so we had to cram in NOT!
4: There are 4 shots which I managed to escape from ( :D tikki)

Much Thanks to Mr & Mrs Zenwood for a great arvo
Thanks to Tankstand for the Stuff :D :D .................stuff = you lot dont need to know.
Nice to meet Daddles and his kids
Great to finally meet Tikki aka Judy
A pleasure to see Javali and the Stud myster again

Cheers The Yetti :)

Tikki
12th September 2005, 10:49 AM
Tikki in a playful mood, sneaking up behind TrevorOwen:eek:

:eek: :eek: Zen, what were you drinking?? :D

zenwood
12th September 2005, 12:02 PM
:eek: :eek: Zen, what were you drinking?? :D
Drinking? Me? I wanna know what was in that red stuff you were sculling down...:D:D

TrevorOwen
12th September 2005, 11:48 PM
Drinking? Me? I wanna know what was in that red stuff you were sculling down...:D:D
Drew, I was wondering the same thing.

Thanks everyone for the great afternoon, particularly mine hosts and after playing with so many dark side tools I may have to adjust my prioities. I loved the Veritas marking gauge. Sometimes the simplest tools are the best.

Regards
Trevor

zenwood
13th September 2005, 08:26 AM
I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw.

Not sure if I believe it yet...

I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw...

Studley 2436
13th September 2005, 11:32 AM
That's because you haven't included the Dremel and the Chisels you will need for all the Intarsia carvings you are going to do with it!

Studley

Tikki
13th September 2005, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=zenwood]I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw. I need a scrollsaw.QUOTE]

You need a scrollsaw. You need a scrollsaw. You need a scrollsaw. You need a scrollsaw. You need a scrollsaw. You need a scrollsaw. You need a scrollsaw ........... :D :D