PDA

View Full Version : Pennyleaf ( Dalbergia Sissoo )

Ironwood
28th July 2016, 06:57 PM
Pennyleaf, also known as Indian Rosewood, is an introduced species that has taken hold in a few spots in the Mackay area.

This tree died by natural causes, I was lucky enough to get the crotch section.

I broke it down with the bandsaw this afternoon.

Wiped with a damp rag to photograph.

chambezio
28th July 2016, 07:04 PM
Absolutely wild colours and grain. I wonder if while exposed to the air and light whether some of the colour may disappear? I have used a chainsaw mill to break down some logs and was disappointed when some of the colour first seen was gone as the timber dried

Keep us posted as to what you make with it

Ironwood
28th July 2016, 08:00 PM
Cheers Rod.
My experience with it seems to keep its colour pretty well.
I got half a ute load about 5 or 6 years ago when a storm bought a tree down, the bits I have left still have the same colouring as when I cut it up.

dai sensei
28th July 2016, 08:31 PM
Great score Brad :2tsup:

Definitely my favourite timber around Mackay. I find it does go a bit darker as it dries but still spectacular grain with the yellow being translucent giving it that 3D effect, also known as Chatoyance. Here is a bowl I did a while back with from a chunk Mkyturner (Troy) gave me

shedbound
28th July 2016, 10:42 PM
That was a Damn hard piece from memory Neil.

Mobyturns
28th July 2016, 11:19 PM
Beautiful wild grain! I scored some from one of Troy's mates in the Mackay club. Be cautious milling and turning this stuff as some turners have had reactions to it. I find the fragarance a little over powering while turning it.

Old Croc
28th July 2016, 11:19 PM
Great score Brad :2tsup:

Definitely my favourite timber around Mackay. I find it does go a bit darker as it dries but still spectacular grain with the yellow being translucent giving it that 3D effect, also known as Chatoyance. Here is a bowl I did a while back with from a chunk Mkyturner (Troy) gave me
Now all we need is for Brad to "donate" some of it to the Prossie Turnout, so hopefully I can get some.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Wood Collector
31st July 2016, 10:13 AM
I like that rosewood. It would make a great statement piece if it was large enough for a bedside table or small coffee table

dai sensei
31st July 2016, 09:04 PM
I like that rosewood. It would make a great statement piece if it was large enough for a bedside table or small coffee table

There are some big ones around, getting them is another matter

Ironwood
31st July 2016, 09:53 PM
Yes, it's beautiful timber. This is a fairly small piece, main trunk just under the crotch was about 300mm. As Neil said, there are some bigger ones around, but not easy to get them. I missed out on a fairly large one that was cut down in someone's front yard, I got there just as the last bits were being fed into the chipper :(

dai sensei
1st August 2016, 08:07 PM
... I missed out on a fairly large one that was cut down in someone's front yard, I got there just as the last bits were being fed into the chipper :(

Don't yah hate that