PDA

View Full Version : Sheoak

TasSculptor
2nd August 2016, 06:17 PM
I cut this bit of Sheok into boards today. Its got heaps of figure...pity a grub has been through it here and there. Grubs gotta eat too I suppose. Ive never worked with sheoak before, does it season out with out too much drama? Any good for turning?

Euge
2nd August 2016, 07:07 PM
I cut this bit of Sheok into boards today. Its got heaps of figure...pity a grub has been through it here and there. Grubs gotta eat too I suppose. Ive never worked with sheoak before, does it season out with out too much drama? Any good for turning?

-
Great for turning & burning.
Best figure & stability (drying or for larger items) is shown in quartersawn boards,

cava
2nd August 2016, 07:14 PM
The pieces that I have are so tough that I have to drill a pilot hole to hammer a nail into it. This wood was milled 1994 and slowly air dried. I had no trouble with checking, but have heard that it can crack easily during drying which is why I opted for a very slow drying process.

Not sure about turning, so I will leave it to others to comment on that.

dusteater
2nd August 2016, 10:33 PM
That looks like some nice fiddleback in there, have never seen that in our south west sheoak. Yep lots of things like eating sheoak and it`s great for smoking fish too.

TasSculptor
2nd August 2016, 11:18 PM
Is it only a particular species of Sheoak that get that cool "lace" figure?

dusteater
2nd August 2016, 11:48 PM
Is it only a particular species of Sheoak that get that cool "lace" figure?

I`ve asked that question before and no one has said that they have come across any other than here in the south west in the [allocasaurina fraseriana ] it`s rare here only fond in about 1 in 100 trees . But I keep looking:D

dai sensei
3rd August 2016, 08:25 PM
There are many different species of sheoak with various levels of lace grain. It will depend on species, age, specific growing location and ground conditions, and of course how it is cut.

The WA stuff (Casuarina fraseriana) is great but Nth NSW and Qld have Rose Sheoak (Allocasuarina torulosa) that is pretty much the same to look at. Dusteater's stuff is something special though with almost burled action going on in some. I remember when staying there I looked up a reference that did show his was actually a special subspecies of the Casuarina fraseriana but can't find it again.