PDA

View Full Version : Riving Knife Base

FrankN
22nd May 2000, 12:28 AM
Firstly let me admit to being a novice new user. I have a limited budget (very limited) and recently acquired a Mk3 Workcentre in great condition and thought I would give it a go.

I assembled everything according to the owners manual provided by the prior owner, however I have a problem with the Riving Knife base.

The base of the knife seems to "sit up" a couple of ml above the workcentre top,
causing stock to catch on it and not cut smoothly.

I have looked at the base and it does not appear bent (it is a cast thing) so I dont know why it would do this.

Is this a common problem or new to you too?

If I sadly need to buy a new one, does the new model transparent guard come with a new riving knife and base, or do you just buy the guard as an individual item.?

Any ideas on how to fix would be appreciated.

Cheers

FrankN

Noel Butcher
23rd May 2000, 05:05 PM
I haven't used the Mk3 for quite a while but from memory you need to screw it down quite tightly to ensure that the top of the base sits flush with the table surface. A bit of silicone spray on the base of the riving knife and /or in the slot where it is to sit may also help.
I have found with Triton gear that it pays to gently file off the sharp edges of bits that need to fit into one another and slide around.
If you really have trouble, a few gentle, repeat gentle, taps with a wooden mallet will probably do the trick. If you file off the top front edge of the riving knife base (the first bit to come into contact with the timber being cut) then all should be well.

L R P
28th September 2008, 09:09 AM
Hi There
Do not use sillycon spray, graphite powder is all you need. Sillycon will attract and hold sawdust.