PDA

View Full Version : need help choosing power carving tools

pati
25th August 2005, 09:21 AM
I would like to begin power carving, but I have no idea which one to buy, or where to start with all the accessories! I am interested in carving a noah's ark, with all the animals, so I would like a lot of detail! I am interested in a very good tool that will "do it all". The Foredom looked impressive, but at $500 I wondered if it lived up to its price tag. I welcome any advice you can offer. I read "power tool wood carving" by Alan and Gill Bridgewater, as I had hoped that would assist me in making a decision. However, it just left me confused about if reciprocating was better than a rotary carving system, or if I could actually get both of those combined in one system. If you could offer some suggestions, as well as some web sites where to buy, I would be thankful. Also, I am seeking information on the new flexcut reciprocating power carver. Did anyone try it? thanks!

Pati

MeTaBo MaN
25th August 2005, 02:03 PM
I don't know if i would got to that expense especially if it's just a one off project, you could try the dremel packs they come with loads of attachments and they are a reasonably reliable and at $99 aus, thats pretty good value. But it all depends really on the size of the project. If it's a large ark that your makeing it would take you forever with a fordome or a dremel...

Here's a thing you could try, getting a cheap air compressor and air assisted die grinder , the air compresser wouldn't cost you more than $150 and the Die grinder are cheap at $50 then by some Kutzall burrs in the profile that your looking for. That combination should handle just about all your carving needs at a half the price of a fordome..

Hope that helps :)

MeTaBo MaN
25th August 2005, 02:22 PM
Oh I forgot if your carving with burrs make sure you have a really good dustmask and eye protection because these machines can spin up to 60,000 rpm and last thing you would like to happen to you is get hit in the eye by flying wood or a shattered burr :eek:

Also as far as true power carving with the Flexi cut or Abortech's power carver goes I personally don't know! But if either of these company's would like to send me a test version of there carvers I would love to put them through there paces :D They can contact me here [email protected]

Just George
25th August 2005, 07:12 PM
Try contacting Arbortech ( http://www.arbortech.com.au/support/support.html ) to see if you can see a demonstration. I have one of their power chiseld and I love it, it's good for fine work as well as removing excess waste.

pati
26th August 2005, 10:05 AM
Thank you so much for your help. I didn't think anyone would get back to me, and especially not so fast! I was holding out on buying anything until I talked to some carving experts.

Hopefully, the ark will never be a one and done kind of a project. It's something I've been dreaming about making for many years. And after the first one, I am sure it will evolve. Again, thank you very much for your kind assistance. Pati

Sprog
26th August 2005, 04:59 PM
Here is a much cheaper alternative to the Fordom

http://www.woodcarvingstore.com/WecheerPowerTools/WecheerHeavyDutyMotorStyles.asp

backpack
5th November 2005, 08:14 AM
Hi Pati,

You have probably already made your purchase by now.... but

I would also recommend the abortech wood chisel. I think is is a great place to start. If you find you get 'hooked' then you could invest in buying a few other items, such as the Dremmel, mini carver, etc.

I have used the arbortech chisel attachment, it fits onto a grinder and is very easy to use.

Good Luck with the Ark. Make sure to post some pics along the way.

Robin D
26th February 2007, 03:25 AM
Hello, :U I am new to forums and this is the 1st response to a question.
If I may, all the responses quoted, are all to be considered. If you are interested in detail work on small carvings or realistic detail on any carvings, please visit my site and check out my links page.:doh:
I have a couple of places I get my tools from. Any carver should at least know about these types of tools to better decide their forte.
I realize some tools can be abit pricy, :C but, if you look at what I've done on my site, you will see why I have chosen several different types of tooling, :B such as: dremel, fordome, arbotech, impact chisels{that attach to a side grinder, as the arbotech does} and my crown jewel - my 400,000rpm huracane handpiece. I use this handpiece for all my detail work. If I can be of service further, please let me know!:;
http://www.robindrapercustomcarvings.com

[email protected]

Robin:2tsup: