PDA

View Full Version : WL-46A users - need your help

Redback
7th August 2016, 05:43 PM
Hi,
Anyone that has the Hafco WL-46A or the variants out there (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W387)

I just picked one up yesterday and it was making disturbing noises today. Pulled the pulley wheel of the headstock and found what might be a spacer? don't know, but it is between the spindle pulley in the headstock and the bearing. See images. The spacer doesn't appear in the schematic...

This spacer appears to be the source of the noise. It is very sloppy on the shaft and seems to be rattling around on the spindle shaft. (its maybe only a millimeter or so bigger than the shaft, but its enough for it to rattle)

My question to other users, does your machine have this piece and if so how tight is it on the shaft, do you have the same experience?

regards

RB

Bohdan
7th August 2016, 07:04 PM
Don't have that machine but the spacer doesn't appear to serve any purpose, as both pullies seem to have screws to lock them in position on their shaft.

I would suggest removing the spacer and seeing if your problems have disappeared.

Paul39
8th August 2016, 02:21 AM
Redback,

If the machine is new, consult with the seller. Companies generally do not put something on a machine that does not serve a purpose. I would think the piece has a purpose.

Putting the spacer back and snugging the pulley tight to it when tightening the set screw may solve the problem. If you get no help from the seller and the snugging the of the pulley still lets it rattle, take it apart again and put a thin coat of silicone or acrylic caulk on the cleaned face of the spacer facing the cleaned face of the pulley, push the pulley tight to squeeze the spacer, tighten set screw and let set over night or longer. Do not put any caulk on the the bearing side as that may cause the bearing to make an expensive noise.

If the space between the spacer and the shaft is large enough to admit a shim, a strip cut from a beer can might do.

Treecycle
8th August 2016, 01:52 PM
I would expect that the spacer is on the wrong way around. The spigot that is protruding towards the camera should go up against the inner of the headstock bearing. Being on the way it is, the large diameter would rub against the outer race of the bearing and make terrible noises if the pulley is fitted correctly.
Turn the spacer around and then pull the pulley up against it using the bolts that screw into the end of the headstock shaft. After doing that, tighten the grubsrew in the boss on the side of the pulley. I would expect the spacer is there so that the pulley cannot be pushed in too far and rub on the speed sensor.