PDA

View Full Version : No good roots

Tiger
25th August 2005, 02:03 PM
Dear all,

As mentioned in another thread, I had some problems with removing roots from a shrub. I used the wrong tool and broke my shovel. As I know I'm going to be asked to remove more roots soon, what is an efficient procedure for removing them? Are there some suitable, not too expensive tools to cut the roots in the ground? Any responses welcome.

DavidG
25th August 2005, 02:14 PM
Crow bar with one end flat and sharp.

Velophile
25th August 2005, 02:23 PM
Try one of these tools. (http://www.toro.com.au/pope/product.cfm?prd=234)

Trav
25th August 2005, 03:13 PM
what about a mattock? That's what I always use...

Bodgy
25th August 2005, 03:16 PM
................but if you break the bloody handle off you're on your own, sport!

echnidna
25th August 2005, 03:31 PM
I used to use a reciprocating saw and it really made the job a lot easier.

DavidG
25th August 2005, 03:32 PM
Personally I use my little tonka toy for such mundane work.
Makes gardening a breeze. :D

Pulpo
25th August 2005, 05:57 PM
Stick of dynamite did the job for me once. :D

Tankstand
25th August 2005, 06:13 PM
Thumbs up for the mattock in our house as well!

Grub a bit of dirt, flip it and chop through the roots, easy!

Barry_White
25th August 2005, 06:49 PM
Last time I had to do it I used an axe and an old worn chain in the chain saw.

Ian007
25th August 2005, 09:22 PM
No good roots????
Maaate send me your address, and Im on my way.

Al :eek: :D

Al tis true :eek:

"your a sick puppie"

Ian :)

soundman
25th August 2005, 10:05 PM
I endourse the matock but use it with an angle grinder.

Sharpen the matock with the angle grinder as often as needed.
Just be carefull if you sharpen both ends you could put some nice slices in your head or back :eek: wear a stout hat. and boots.

If the roots are fresh & green you should be away. If they are dried iron bark your' in for a fight.

chjeerrs

johnc
25th August 2005, 10:28 PM
An old spade welded on to a bit of heavy pipe will root roots in no time. So will a broad mouth crowbar, but the 75mm wide ones are hard to find and the narrow ones tend to jam because the angle on the blade is to great. Other than that go the sharp mattock and look out for your shins if you skid off a root. And Al sure is one sick puppie.

JohnC

Jamster
25th August 2005, 10:49 PM
Get your sandwedge out and hack away

echnidna
25th August 2005, 10:49 PM
If you use a chainsaw you could stuff up the bar real quick when dirt gets in the slot.

vsquizz
25th August 2005, 11:10 PM
Thumbs up for the mattock in our house as well!

Grub a bit of dirt, flip it and chop through the roots, easy!

I always call a Mattock an owner/operator tool...I don't own one.

Cheers

wombat47
26th August 2005, 07:27 AM
Definitely a mattock - if your back is up to it. If the ground is dry, give it a good soak the day before. Much easier to work in moist (not muddy) soil.

Dig a trench around the shrub, chop through as many roots as you can see, and lever the whole thing up with a crowbar. Another pair of hands (preferably not yours) is definitely a bonus, cutting through roots underneath the root ball as you are levering.

I have a custom hand made tool courtesy of a good friend - a length of steel pipe, the business end vertically split about 10cm or so, and then the end opened out flat and sharpened. Some tape wound around the other end makes for a comfortable handle. The tool is used as one would use a crowbar for tamping, cutting through the roots as you work around the shrub. It can chop its way through quite thick roots.

The advantage of this ingenious tool is that it is light enough to be easy to handle and one can use it standing up so no more back aches.

Barry_White
26th August 2005, 10:06 AM
If you use a chainsaw you could stuff up the bar real quick when dirt gets in the slot.

If you have used a chainsaw as long as I have and have one as old as mine you will have plenty of old chains as well as an old bar that you can use and not use your good one.

In fact I'm on my third chainsaw I've already worn two of them out and now I've had my heart repaired I might live long enough to wear out a couple more.