PDA

View Full Version : Bird's Eye Narrow Leaf Red Ironbark

yashinskiy
9th August 2016, 12:46 PM

G'day!

Does any of you fine ladies and gentlemen know the reason for occurrence of Bird's Eye (or may be other term needs to be used) in Narrow Leaf Ironbark.
We process a lot of Ironbark and it does appear every nw and then however it is quite rare to have such heavy inclusion of it.

Any info/opinions would be appreciated.

Alex

Luke Maddux
9th August 2016, 05:20 PM
My understanding about birdseye in most woods is that it is the result of small, aborted branchlets which have begun growing and then failed for one reason or another and then been covered up by the next (and every subsequent) year's growth, but not before creating an isolated irregularity in the grain of the wood.

But that may be limited to certain species. I, personally, wouldn't call what you have in your photo birdseye figuring, but I may be speaking from limited experience.

That said, I wouldn't really know what to call that figuring if NOT birdseye. At an uneducated glance I would say it's a burl, but you would obviously know if it was a burl and probably wouldn't have posted about it.

*shrugs*

Good luck.

Cheers,
Luke

P.S. Beautiful stuff. I'm sure the boxmaking crowd would love to have it.

FenceFurniture
9th August 2016, 08:41 PM
I have been told that it is from (or at least can be from) bushfires - we've all seen how Aussie trees sprout a myriad of tiny branches out the sides of the trunk after a fire because they need to get some green happening asap.

This came up as we drove through such an area and the comment was "look at all that future bird's eye".

Euge
11th August 2016, 12:00 PM
I have been told that it is from (or at least can be from) bushfires - we've all seen how Aussie trees sprout a myriad of tiny branches out the sides of the trunk after a fire because they need to get some green happening asap.

This came up as we drove through such an area and the comment was "look at all that future bird's eye".

Yes FF, I would tend to agree.
Such regrowth eg after fire from buds is called "epicormic growth" and is believed to cause such birds eye wood patterms

yashinskiy
13th August 2016, 06:47 PM
G'day!

Thanks guys!
Here is a good explanation:
www.publish.csiro.au/?act=view_file&file_id=BI9691291.pdf

It is also true that it is not "Original" Bird's Eye such as in Maple and Huon Pine.
So we will need to come up with our own name for this epicormic phenomena!

dusteater
15th August 2016, 11:49 AM
AustralianBurls.com - Aussie Hardwoods (Birdseye and Lace Sheoak) (http://australianburls.com/AustralianBurls/Aussie_Hardwoods/Sheoak.htm)

Some nice examples of birds eye and lace sheoak