PDA

View Full Version : Newel post.

artful bodger
9th August 2016, 07:06 PM
Turned this newel post today from 90 x 90 x 1450 blackwood. I can't say spindle turning slender items is my favourite type of wood turning. To make matters worse the builder client is very "particular". This was the 3rd time I have done this newel post for him!. First time it was a mock up made from a bit of macrocarpa pine. He told me it was just a mock up after I had made it for him, he paid me for it and went away. Several months later he re-appeared with a length of blackwood and a drawing on lots of A4 bits of paper that were sticky taped together. This was intended to be the "actual" newel post he wanted, the design was altered somewhat from the original mock up.
I spent 4 hours making this one and was confident he would be happy with the result. However when he came to pick it up this was not the case as I had miss-interpreted his drawing and what I had turned was NOT what he wanted. This was a big disappointment to me because I could not charge him for my time....and to him because he did not have what he wanted and was down a bit of wood. He went away and I wished I would never see him again. It seems there are not many spindle turners round here because he did come back for attempt number 3. This time there were no drawings, just the first mock up and the second failure with a verbal explanation and a few "pencil marks on bits of wood" !.
I think I have turned what he is after....fingers crossed.
390117 Finished post
390127Mock up on left in macrocarpa and failed second attempt in blackwood.
390123Hope the customer has not got a heap of balustrades he wants made next.
Sorry second pic is sideways, can't fix it.

Rod Gilbert
9th August 2016, 07:33 PM
Nice beads and cove's artful bodger,
It can always be a problem realizing their vision into solid object I usually do a full size set out to show a client but that doesn't mean it still won't happen some can't visualize anything until it is physically front of them, then decide it isn't what they want.
Regards Rod.

artful bodger
9th August 2016, 07:47 PM
Thanks Rod.
Yes a full size set out is the go.
Makes things a bit trickier when client brings own drawing that they understand perfectly but can be interpreted in other ways.

Gabriel
9th August 2016, 08:24 PM
I'm guessing it's lucky you're a patient man. Client expectation v reality are often misaligned, especially in the art/craft word.
We get it quite often when building to a signed off plan, and it isn't what the client 'pictured' (but they originally signed off on it with the architect....

Great job and top marks for giving it a third crack. I'm guessing your heart was in your mouth the third time the builder wandered in to pick up his item.

Mobyturns
9th August 2016, 09:37 PM
Nothing wrong with the quality of the spindle turning or the finish.

I've done a few paying jobs for larger spindles, newel posts, table legs etc from larger laminated sections 200mm sq and larger of new guinea rosewood, kwilia etc. I will not start untill I have a full size set of drawings approved by the client and the builder. Having access to CAD packages helps, plus it is well worth spending the money on plan printing. Saves a lot of headaches and heartaches, a lesson I learned from many years offsiding my father who was a builder. We always kept a site book where "verbal instructions" for variations etc were transferred into written form and signed by both parties. Clients can't argue when their signature is on the page.

Paul39
19th August 2016, 12:35 PM
Artful,

Nice work. I admire your lathe. What is it? How much swing / center hight?

artful bodger
19th August 2016, 06:03 PM
Thank you Paul. The lathe was built by a foundry for the use of its own patternshop. From the centre of the spindle to the bed it is 17inches/430mm with 89inches/2260mm between centres.
The outside measures 44inch/1120mm to the floor so I guess that means a swing of 178inches/2240mm although the largest dia I have turned on it is 1200mm. There are bigger lathes around but in general this one can handle most of the larger jobs I get. Occasionally I have needed a lathe that can turn longer lengths between centres. Luckily the Technical school (T.A.F.E) in town let me use the Wadkin lathe that they have for those jobs.

Mobyturns
20th August 2016, 09:51 AM
Thank you Paul. The lathe was built by a foundry for the use of its own patternshop. ..... Luckily the Technical school (T.A.F.E) in town let me use the Wadkin lathe that they have for those jobs.

I must admit that I was going to ask the same questions about the lathe. Looks like it is a beaut. You are so lucky to have access to a TAFE that still has wood lathes. The local TAFE sold up their lathes in the early 2000's.