PDA

View Full Version : Random Orbital Sander

Garry Szakacs
30th May 2000, 06:20 PM
I am interested in the Random Orbital Sander attachment for a 4" angle grinder.
Could anybody give me the low-down on this unit and the pros / cons, basically is it worth the dollars ????
Thanks in advance.....

Noel Butcher
30th May 2000, 09:11 PM
The Triton Random Orbital Sander works well for that final smooth finish. It is no good for removing lots of material quickly but when used with some oil and smooth sanding disks it gives a great finish but it does take time.
The Triton sanding disks are more expensive than other brands but the others seem to work pretty well.
There are a couple of drawbacks to the Triton Orbital Sander - because of the action it is difficult to use for extended periods. I find that about 4 or 5 minutes at a time is all that I can do. This is because it shakes with great vigour, shall we say, and this becomes tiring very quickly. The other drawback is the noise of your angle grinder...... even with ear-muffs it gets on my nerves after a while. I have an old Makita orbital sander that is easier to use simply because it doesn't vibrate as much as the Triton sander but then the Triton can fit into places the Makita cannot.

I Hope this is of some use to you.

Richard
2nd June 2000, 12:32 AM
One of the best tools I have bought !!! It will remove a lot of material with coarse grits and will fine sand very, very quickly !! I use a lot of Tassie Oak and Blackwood and I love this little machine!! Has saved heaps of sanding time. I don't start it in contact with my work though. I start the grinder then touch down on a piece of thin scrap, moving on to my work. If not,even with fine paper, that spinning pad will remove too much too quickly or leave scratches as if it were a pad sander connected to a drill. Edges of boards are a bit trickey and you do need somyhing else to get in to the tight spots. There I use a "Fein"
Good Luck !!
Richard

barrysumpter
23rd June 2000, 01:00 PM
Triton will be demonstrating the random orbital sander at the next Triton Users Group Meeting Holmesglen meeting. Which is the third Sunday of each month. Specifically 16th July 2000.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

[This message has been edited by barrysumpter (edited 23 June 2000).]

ubeaut
23rd June 2000, 06:47 PM
Probably a bit late in the piece to mention this, but Kato Trading have a sander attachment similar to the Triton at a fraction of the price and it works well. No where near the same amount of vibration. I think I paid about $45 for mine about 18 mths ago. http://www.ubeaut.com.au/kato.htm

Cheers
Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by (edited 23 June 2000).]

[This message has been edited by (edited 23 June 2000).]

barrysumpter
24th June 2000, 07:10 PM
Is 1/2 a fraction. Doesn't matter. Excellent price and lots of other cool attachments t'boot. Thanks .

Baz

24th June 2000, 09:43 PM
Gary ,
the triton unit works well if you are not too heavy handed with it. I did some heavy work with it and the heat generated affected the velcro "loops" .
It then lost the ability to hold the disks.
the sparepart for it was about $40 12 months ago.

Garry Szakacs
30th June 2000, 05:37 PM
Thanks for all the reply's....
I bit the bullet and got one......
With all the advice and warnings on what to/not do I hope to get the most out of the
unit.
Thanks again,

Garry