PDA

View Full Version : looking for a turner to do a one-off piece.

Starlo
18th August 2016, 12:14 PM
G'day,

I'm looking for a wood turner to make a one-off piece for a terrarium project. Basically, I need a hexagonal wood cap, or top, to use as a lid over a large acrylic fish tank. It will need to have a groove routered out so I can put a seal in there, too. Or maybe someone can come up with a better design.

Basically, I need a gigantic one of these. I don't really know what the going rate for something like this, but I thought I'd float the idea out there. If it isn't insane money I don't mind paying for something classy.

I don't own a lathe and other than making a few LED tables I'm not very handy with woodwork. Mostly I play around with composites.

Anyways, if it sounds like something within your skill set send me a PM and we can talk turkey. I'm paying, obviously.

Cheers
starlo

pommyphil
18th August 2016, 12:37 PM
How big is "gigantic" ? Why hexagonal ? Lathes tend to cut round stuff. Phil

Starlo
18th August 2016, 02:39 PM
Tank is Hexagonal Phil. Last time I checked circles don't fit over hexagons:)

I suppose the route could follow the hexagonal pattern, that might be easier. I'm all at sea here.

I'm talking a diameter of about 400mm.

ubute
18th August 2016, 05:12 PM
It's entirely possible I'm missing something obvious here as I've only had 2 coffees today, but I'm having trouble visualising your description... so, to clarify, are you needing a round lid turned round on a lathe (as per the photo), or a hexagonal lid not turned round on a lathe but cut into a hexagon by something other than a lathe (which as Phil said generally tends to cut things round), or a combo of the 2 with the top half round and bottom hex or vice versa?

bueller
18th August 2016, 08:53 PM
Yeah I think the easiest way to achieve this would be making hexagonal lid with a bandsaw and then routing around the edge to make it fit the tank seals.

KBs PensNmore
20th August 2016, 01:47 PM
Hi Starlo, and other NEW Members
THIS is not to pick on you or anything like that, but when requesting assistance with a project like this, a drawing or sketch of your requirements, would be highly appreciated. You know what you want, but it makes it real hard for members here, to visualise what you'd like? Also state approx diameters and thicknesses, and if you are able to supply the timber, for the members to assist you. All this is to assist you, without having the members think badly of you, by having to come back and forth asking details of your requirements. It would be like pulling teeth, a long drawn out situation.
If the moderators think this is inappropriate, please remove it.
Regards,
Kryn

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st August 2016, 12:06 AM
Segmenting together 6 equilateral triangles will give you a nice, flat hexagonal lid. Cutting a rebate into one edge of each triangle at appropriate spot before segmenting will give the seal.

To do this, all you need is to be able to cut accurate angles on a TS, chop saw or similar.

Or do you want something like a domed cupola over a hexagonal base? Then turning would be the way to go... for the domed section, anyway.

Christos
21st August 2016, 12:42 PM
I thought about this yesterday but as time was not on my side I was not able to reply.

I have seen these covers in the aquarium shops. I think they typically they come part of the system. The covers are basically a piece of wood then edged banded wood as an overlap to form the lid.

I don't think these can be purchased separately so getting one made or making one could be your only option. I think there are two ways of doing this one would be by turning a circle then putting that on the tank and trace out the shape to route out a grove. The second way that I am thinking is to have a flat panel trace out the shape then cut just to the line and add wood to the edges to make the lid/overlap.