PDA

View Full Version : Adding something in the clear to give depth & sparkly?

Tegmark
18th August 2016, 07:07 PM
I thought about adding some fine sand, grinded up glass or something in the first couple of thick layers of Polyu to give some extra depth & effects. Then 1 or 2 more clean coats over it.
What can be added that will work & look good? Looking for some suggestions.

thanks

Bendigo Bob
18th August 2016, 08:41 PM
I thought that sand (very fine) was added to paints to actually make them 'less glossy.' I think that's how flat and low sheen paints are actually made.

That said, some glass fines of a contrasting colour would be worth experimenting with.

Kuffy
18th August 2016, 11:30 PM
It sounds like a bad idea to me. Are you trying to get the surface to sparkle? Add glitter

Amrjon
18th August 2016, 11:39 PM
There a lots of products specifically for this purpose, and I've had good results with them. Put 'metal flake' into ebay. 'Pearl' additives can give great results too, more of a shimmer than a sparkle though.

soundman
21st August 2016, 12:04 PM
Nothing you will add to pollyeurathane will improve it ...... you have to face facts that polly is always going to be muddy and will never be crisp and bright.

sorry

Tegmark
22nd August 2016, 06:15 PM
It sounds like a bad idea to me. Are you trying to get the surface to sparkle? Add glitter

I was thinking of adding ruby crystal like small debris & rocks into the coat to get some depth & see how it looks. This is not like metal flakes in a 2D car paint job.