PDA

View Full Version : Cutting concrete patio

gsouth
26th August 2005, 04:18 PM
Hi all,

We have a concrete patio connected to the back of the house that is 12m x 3m. We have a requirement to remove half of this slab along the long axis. What we plan to do is measure 1.5m in from the outside edge and get a concrete cutter to cut the 12m and then break it up (we believe it's only 100mm thick).
After reading here about people cutting concrete and exposing the reo, how do we then treat/finish the cut edge (which will now be the new outside edge of the patio) to protect the reo?

+----------------------------------------------+
| x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x|
|- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | <= cut
| x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x|
+----------------------------------------------+
| ::::::::::::::::::::: House ::::::::::::::::::::::: |

Thanks in advance.
Geoff

Bodgy
26th August 2005, 04:27 PM
Geoff

I think you got two issues here, first seal the ends to prevent the reo rusting and secondly create an aesthetic finish to the job.

If it was me I would get the cutter to cut maybe 10mm closer to the house and then cement render the exposed bit 10mm. This will answer to both issues above.

Alternatively, you should paint the exposed end and its then a PC as to finish. I'd use bituminous paint, but there will be many alternatives.

Velophile
26th August 2005, 05:55 PM
There are a number of paving paints available. What about re-sufacing the whole thing, ie. terracota tiles? More expensive yes but allows you to seal/render the cut edge beforehand.

Barry_White
26th August 2005, 07:06 PM
I would tend to use an epoxy finish to seal the reo.

gsouth
26th August 2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks all for the responses to date.
I forgot to mention that the patio is indeed being tiled after the removal of half of it.

Cheers
Geoff

juliussee
26th August 2005, 10:46 PM
Hi,

Why not just paint some cold gal on the cut reo?

Adrian

johnc
27th August 2005, 12:04 AM
Why not gold gal, expoxy, render, then waterproof membrane. Sorry couldn't help myself.

Nothing you do will be ideal as moisture is going to get in around the cut edge and short of drilling back about 30mm and filling with some compound you are not going to acheive a lot. I would dab something on the end as a moisture barrier and try to ensure a bit of drainage around the edge as moisture held near the cut edge is your biggest enemy. It's only a patio slab with pavers on top so I wouldn't get to excited.

JohnC