PDA

View Full Version : Where d'ya getit

Grumpy John
26th August 2005, 05:04 PM
I live on the Mornington Peninsula and would like to know if there are any timber merchants/dealers selling blanks for bowls, platters etc. I know there is probably no such thing as recommended retail price, price obviously depends on supply & demand and whether the timber is imported or local. I would like to know however what should I expect to pay for various timbers and are there any pitfalls to be avoided when buying timber?

smeds
26th August 2005, 10:04 PM
Try the wood smith you can find them at factory1 35lusher road croydon, email [email protected] or phone 03 97229663 they have a selection of blanks there but they sell on a first come first seved basis as they usually only have one blank of each species. hope this helps.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th August 2005, 10:18 PM
Gustec (the ol' Bayswater Carbatec) has started carrying blanks, mainly of Aussie timbers. There's not much variety in species yet, but there's plenty of what they do have in a wide variety of sizes. Some I haven't seen available elsewhere...

Pitfalls? Don't assume that just 'cos the blank is waxed that it has been cured. The WoodSmith's blanks are all cured, some of Gustec's aren't.

Also, don't assume they're pest-free; I once bought blanks at a tradeshow and was showered in bugs when I started turning... :(

Stuart
26th August 2005, 11:12 PM
So have Woodworking Warehouse in Moorabbin.

gatiep
26th August 2005, 11:54 PM
In Perth we pay $7-00 per kilo of green wax sealed tassie timber blanks.

Mulgabill
27th August 2005, 05:13 PM
Hey Grumpy John,

Since you are down Mornington way you may wish to contact the Peninsula Woodturners Guild, David Birrell is/was the Secretary on 03 9766 5613 or [email protected] Their web is [email protected]. He may have further info for you.

Grumpy John
27th August 2005, 06:26 PM
Already a member there.

Thanks Rus.

rsser
28th August 2005, 06:29 PM
Roy Green in Williamstown (Get Woodworking or somesuch) has a small but choice collection. Rare Woods in Abbotsford used to be good but call them first to see what's in stock.

PS It's also worth calling Len Smith at the Woodsmith and talking over what you want.

Never had a dud piece from Len.