PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc lathe config questions

QuarkVI
24th August 2016, 08:41 AM
Hi,

Would appreciate it if anyone had input on the following questions re configuration options for the Vicmarc VL200 and VL300 lathes:

It appears that the VL200 lathes can't take a bed extension - is this correct?
If working on a budget is it worthwhile looking at the VL200/300 bench mount options without a motor? i.e. if time isn't an issue could I save some money there without sacrificing too much quality or are the vicmarc motors/controllers too good to go past
Does Vicmarc sell the VL200/300 without stand but with motor/controller? I see that I can buy the motor/controller separately from CWS but haven't seen any vendors selling the lathe with motor and no stand.

Above is me trying to figure out how to get a Vicmarc lathe inside my budget :roll: Unfortunately I have never seen one second hand in NZ else I would be going that route.

(and still very sad that the VL175 is no more)

cheers
Robin

BlackbuttWA
24th August 2016, 03:16 PM
Why not give Vicmarc a call, then you get it straight from the horses mouth ?
Nothing to lose.

Col

BamBam53
24th August 2016, 08:30 PM
Hi Robin

Have you tried contacting Wood Working HQ? They are the New Zealand agents for Vicmarc and have them on sale at the moment.

Michael

Jim Carroll
24th August 2016, 08:51 PM
The VL150/ VL240 and the VL300 have bed extensions

All of the lathes can be bought without a stand or Bench mount if prefered.

The reason for not showing them is that everyone wants to buy the lathe and start turning not worry about building a stand.

20 years ago most sales were bench mount but over time that has changed, the same with turning tools. Everyone made their own handles these days the majority of sales are handled so they can buy go home sharpen and start turning.

Paul39
25th August 2016, 02:32 AM
I suspect used Vicmarc lathes are like used Vicmarc or Oneway chucks. Turners are buried with them so they have something to play with in the next world.

After looking for a used big Vicmarc or Oneway chuck for two years I ought a new Oneway Stronghold, body, adapter, and one set of #4 jaws for about $240 - current price almost $300. Four years later several used ones showed up in the local hardware store for $100 each. I bought another one.

QuarkVI
25th August 2016, 06:19 AM
Hi Robin

Have you tried contacting Wood Working HQ? They are the New Zealand agents for Vicmarc and have them on sale at the moment.

Michael

Hi,

waiting on a response from them around the lathes they have with motor and no stand i.e. whether those have Vicmarc or other motors/controllers. Only downside is their pricing seems to be well in excess of what I can import from Australia for - even after shipping and GST.

A pity the VL200 doesn't have bed extensions - as with it's outboard capacity it would suit me for the now and again bigger jobs - can get the longer bed version but was hoping to use the shorter bed to save on space and just haul out the extension when doing furniture legs.

cheers
Robin

QuarkVI
25th August 2016, 07:15 AM
FYI,

just had it confirmed by Woodworking HQ that the bench mount Vicmarcs plus motor they are providing are coming with a locally sourced motor/controller hence why those are so sharply priced.
Also to add that the motor/controller comes with a 12 month guarantee - sourced ex TECO NZ.

Optimark
25th August 2016, 10:07 PM
FYI,

just had it confirmed by Woodworking HQ that the bench mount Vicmarcs plus motor they are providing are coming with a locally sourced motor/controller hence why those are so sharply priced.
Also to add that the motor/controller comes with a 12 month guarantee - sourced ex TECO NZ.

I’ve been following this thread mild with interest, I wondered about the motors in Vicmarc lathes some time ago. Today I was at my wood turning club and checked out the four VL175 lathes there, all have European manufactured electric motors, with the oldest unit being fitted with an AEG motor, the others were just from somewhere in Western Europe.

I wonder if the reason the lathes in NZ are cheaper (maybe substantially I don’t know) could partially or fully, be due to the sourcing and quality of the motor and associated stuff.

Mick.

Mobyturns
27th August 2016, 10:40 AM
I’ve been following this thread mild with interest, I wondered about the motors in Vicmarc lathes some time ago. Today I was at my wood turning club and checked out the four VL175 lathes there, all have European manufactured electric motors, with the oldest unit being fitted with an AEG motor, the others were just from somewhere in Western Europe.

I wonder if the reason the lathes in NZ are cheaper (maybe substantially I don’t know) could partially or fully, be due to the sourcing and quality of the motor and associated stuff.

Mick.

Like all things quality and durability / longevity comes at a price. Electric motors are designed ( or selected ) to suit a particular duty cycle and load condition. Bowl turners in particular can place high loads and long duty cycle times on VFD's and motors, so temperatures rise etc if they turn continuously while making heavy cuts. So best to ask what sort of duty cycle the motor VFD etc is rated for. Search "IEC duty cycles"

hughie
4th September 2016, 08:18 PM
Like all things quality and durability / longevity comes at a price. Electric motors are designed ( or selected ) to suit a particular duty cycle and load condition. Bowl turners in particular can place high loads and long duty cycle times on VFD's and motors, so temperatures rise etc if they turn continuously while making heavy cuts. So best to ask what sort of duty cycle the motor VFD etc is rated for. Search "IEC duty cycles"

In deed, on one conversion I played with I removed the fan off the motor and replaced it with a 240v 150mm dia fan wired into the motor start . This provided a constant stream of cool air irrespective of the motor speed, which was important on this conversion. Something similar can be done with the VSD either by adding a small fan to the heat sink on the VSD, remember make sure the VSD enclosure is the right size. We can be tempted to go smaller as enclosures are not cheap. Better to go the other way and be over size and if needs be, a ventilation fan can be added to the enclosure as well .
Even the cheap Chinese VSD's will last longer if you increase the cooling to them and there can be never too much cooling, ask the any of the 'over clockers' on the computer forums :)

bpbuilder
8th September 2016, 09:28 PM
I guess I was a bit the opposite. I was happy the VL200 came in a version with a stand and long bed, and a steel stand at that rather than wood (but yes a large investment). But I'll admit I'm over the top, I'll leveled my VL200 with an engineers level etc.

My only gripe when I got it was the very short cable that connected the control box. I couldn't get the box far away enough up on the wall out of the "firing line". I'm not sure whether this has now been "corrected" as Vicmarc suggested it was a valid point when raised at the time. So if you do go the whole hog I'd be careful about that if you are fussy like me.