PDA

View Full Version : Skew for practice - oval or square?

rtyuiop
27th August 2016, 03:53 PM
Hi folks,

So I'm planning to make a concerted effort to improve my skew skills. Mainly for planing cuts, I'm not a big fan of beads!

I only have a couple of square skews, am I better off learning with an oval skew? Is a large/medium or small blade best for a beginner?

Cheers,

Danny

Gabriel
27th August 2016, 04:16 PM
Can't say I'm any sort of authority on using a skew, but the I'm formation I was given was that a square skew was easier as it didn't have a tenancy to 'wobble'. After a bit of practice I would say I like the square skews for larger work, but use the oval one on pens (planing cuts that is) so maybe it's a case of personal preference..... I have found that I tend to go for about a 19mm skew...

As I said, I am only a beginner but that is what I have found.

Cheers
Gab

smiife
27th August 2016, 06:06 PM
Hi folks,

So I'm planning to make a concerted effort to improve my skew skills. Mainly for planing cuts, I'm not a big fan of beads!

I only have a couple of square skews, am I better off learning with an oval skew? Is a large/medium or small blade best for a beginner?

Cheers,

Danny

Hi danny,
I made all kind of stuff up, s with a old skew I had
And I decided to buy a decent one , I got a P&N ,
It has a rounded side and a square side , my skew
skills improved out of site ,,,,,,,, still not great ,,but a
vast Improvment on what they were before.....
I think It, s a 19mm,,,, hope it helps.....

rtyuiop
27th August 2016, 06:14 PM
Ah! I didn't realise there was such a thing as oval on one side, square on the other. Maybe that's the way to go for now, and I can play with both sides on the same chisel and figure out what works best for me.

pommyphil
27th August 2016, 07:01 PM
I think he means a rounded edge, Rounding of the heel,short point edge makes planeing and rolling beads easier. I bought an oval skew early on but never use it, a cow to sharpen !
I like big skews, you have a longer"safe" half cutting edge. A smooth toolrest and lots of practice will help.

Rod Gilbert
27th August 2016, 07:22 PM
I prefer a square skew over the oval section I find it much easier to control I always soften the sharp corners of the chisel so as not to catch or drag on the tool rest and my preferred size is general spindle work (table legs) 1"-1 1/4" skew and small work 1/2" skew. For a beginner I would say a 1" chisel would be a good starting point it offers a slightly larger contact area for the cut a bit easier to control.
Regards Rod.

Rod Gilbert
27th August 2016, 07:26 PM
Hi danny,
I made all kind of stuff up, s with a old skew I had
And I decided to buy a decent one , I got a P&N ,
It has a rounded side and a square side , my skew
skills improved out of site ,,,,,,,, still not great ,,but a
vast Improvment on what they were before.....
I think It, s a 19mm,,,, hope it helps.....

Smifie, how do you get square on one side and rounded on the other on a skew I am intrigued.
Regards Rod.

smiife
27th August 2016, 07:44 PM
Smifie, how do you get square on one side and rounded on the other on a skew I am intrigued.
Regards Rod.

Hi rod , be Intrigued no more.......
A photo explains better me thinks!

rtyuiop
27th August 2016, 10:34 PM
Ahah, I see. A rounded edge does sound like a good idea, will add that to my list of considerations!

Paul39
28th August 2016, 01:27 AM
I prefer a square skew over the oval section I find it much easier to control I always soften the sharp corners of the chisel so as not to catch or drag on the tool rest and my preferred size is general spindle work (table legs) 1"-1 1/4" skew and small work 1/2" skew. For a beginner I would say a 1" chisel would be a good starting point it offers a slightly larger contact area for the cut a bit easier to control.
Regards Rod.

I agree with Rod. A lot of wonderous tools promising to make you a master turner in one hour, especially if there is a name of a Famous Turner attached, have the biggest advantage of increasing the profit of the seller.

20 hours in front of the lathe with the skew you have will make you quite good. I have not used an oval skew, but can see it being useful for lots of beads and coves. A round skew would be even better. For planing cuts, having the edge of the skew parallel to the bed of the lathe, I like a flat skew sliding on the tool rest. I think a curved bottom of the oval skew would tend to wobble and dig in the toe.

I slightly round off the square corners of all my tools to make it easier on my hands, and in the case of the skew tilted up for smoothing cuts, to not make notches in the tool rest.

I used the toe of one of my Chinese junk skews a lot, and in sharpening made the cutting edge a slight curve, I found that helpful in come cases, especially planing as there was not a sharp corner to dig in.

I also bought a used Henry Taylor tool very cheaply that had a rectangular section like a skew, but was ground on one side and straight across. I use it like a skew, and it works just as well.

Some of my skew adventures: http://www.woodworkforums.com/search.php?searchid=15464519

Mobyturns
28th August 2016, 08:16 AM
Both have their devotees. I prefer the profile of what are called radiused edge or RE skews from Hamlet, and I have modified my Thompsons with the RE on both short & long point edges. Oval skews are very much lighter in sectional profile so are more suited to "light" work imo. I prefer the heft of the rectangular section and the smoothness of moving a skew with RE across the tool rest. Also less maintenance of the tool rest as a skew with sharp corners will damage the tool rest in a good catch, a RE skew won't.

One item that I would suggest for learners on the skew is that you get a "safety drive" centre, McJing sell them. They are effectively a ring drive (dead) center that has no drive prongs so it and the live centre in the tailstock perform like a clutch in a vehicle. The work piece will spin if you experience a catch but the setup will provide sufficient drive proportional to the amount of tailstock pressure applied. I often turn small items between points only.

Start with small stock no more than 30 mm square, mark the centres of the blank with a centre punch, then mount between the safety centre and live center with only sufficient pressure to engage the centre points and just enough tailstock pressure for the ring on the drive centre to engage. Set lathe speed on the low side of the recommended spindle speed for that size blank, then practice taking off the corners with the skew taking very light cuts. If the skew catches the work piece will spin. As you gain confidence try taking a little more off with the skew using heavier cuts, add more tail stock presure as required. When you reckon you have sufficient skills move to a standard 4 prong drive or a Steb Centre, which is a good choice for spindle turning.

Forget the standard "beads & coves" skew exercises, and look up Jon Siegel's recommendations on making repeated cove cuts, or bead cuts. You will learn much faster, by reinforcing muscle memory with repeated cuts and waste less material. When you get confidence then make a story stick of beads & coves as a momento / trophy / brag stick.

Very good resources

Alan & Stuart Batty clips on you tube / Viemo.
Doc Green
Jon Siegel (big tree tools)

stuffy
28th August 2016, 04:22 PM
25mm flat skew, rounded bottom edge like P&N, cutting edge hollow ground and honed to about 30 degrees included angle with a slight curve from toe to heel.
Start with a 30-40mm blank of soft straight grained timber rounded with a roughing gouge.
With the lathe stopped place your skew so the cutting edge is about 45 degrees to the lathe axis. The tool should have three points of contact, the cutting edge about 1/3 of the width up from the short point, the heel of the bevel, and the corner of the short point edge resting on the tool rest.
This gives a stable platform for planing the surface smooth.

Steve.

Paul39
29th August 2016, 11:45 AM
What I called a planing cut in my post #10 above is apparently called a peeling cut. I was laboring under the delusion that holding the skew to cut like a bench plane would be called a planing cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkOv_z9LIP0

Spindle turning - the planing cut (http://www.turningtools.co.uk/wtintro/planing/planing.html)

rob streeper
29th August 2016, 02:07 PM
I prefer rectangular cross-section skews for making long tapers with a square or angled cutting edge. Oval skews will do okay but they show their best performance in outside radii of bowls and vases - anything with a convex and rounded profile. Radiused edge skews are helpful in those areas where there are rapid changes of curvature in concave curves such as the transition from bowl to neck of a vase. Truthfully, if you do much turning you'll find yourself wanting them all.

jmk89
29th August 2016, 07:25 PM
Deleted pocket post

rtyuiop
29th August 2016, 07:44 PM
Went and got myself a nice hamlet with radiused edges today, will grab a pepper grinder blank I already have rounded and give it a try in the next few days.

I did read a suggestion of slowing down the lathe if getting ribs with the skew, which is a problem I've had before, which is interesting!

Mobyturns
29th August 2016, 08:37 PM
Went and got myself a nice hamlet with radiused edges today, will grab a pepper grinder blank I already have rounded and give it a try in the next few days.

I did read a suggestion of slowing down the lathe if getting ribs with the skew, which is a problem I've had before, which is interesting!

The ribs occur because the feed rate of the skew across the timber is to fast, slowing the lathe spindle speed won't make it go away. Slow down how fast you are moving the skew across the tool rest. Sometimes a change in hardness ( a knot etc) in the blank is the cause. There are a lot of tips & tricks that can be used on long whipy spindle blanks, but for a pepper mill blank you won't require them.

rtyuiop
4th September 2016, 04:41 PM
Well, I didn't get around to the pepper grinder, but I practiced a bit on some scraps and some pens, and I'm already feeling more confident.

For anyone else with similar issues, the advice here was very helpful, along with Brendan Stemp's skew video (thanks Brendan!), and the hamlet skew with rounded edges feels much more secure than a sharp edge. Now I just need some more practice...

hughie
4th September 2016, 08:06 PM
Much of what we choose or what we end up with depends the initial choice. Be it flat, square, round or with a radius this is where we will end sticking with. For me I own two skews one an old carbon steel the other a Hamlet maybe a 2060 not sure. Not sure because I dont use them allot as I stick to hollow pieces that end up be carved thoroughly. I have been meaning brush up on my usage and get some practice of going around and over my various shapes of the HV. A little more challenging than using a skew on a spindle
A habit I have developed is to use the wing on the gouge to act somewhat like a skew for the small areas of difficult tear out and so on.

Dalboy
4th September 2016, 09:17 PM
I have a selection of both square and oval from 1 1/4" down each I find have their own uses. The main ones I tend to grab are the 3/4" and 1/2". Like many on here I also ease the corners of my square ones so they slide easier and cause less damage to the rest.
There is no right or wrong shape out of the two it is mainly personal preference

Drillit
5th September 2016, 05:34 PM
Gabriel,
Square skew. Also, abrade the long edges of the tool with light abrasive so it will slide better on the tool rest. I think oval skews
are a gimmick and are not stable and I do not use them. Drillit.