PDA

View Full Version : Beginner

Hors
29th August 2016, 07:39 AM
Just getting back into turning (abscence of 15 years), so have joined a club, and refine my skills. So want to make a couple of handles for two P & N tools (25mm roughing and 24mm skew) that I have bought.

Was hoping somone could shoot me a drawing/design and provide tips

Thanks

http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/happy/biggrin.gif

smiife
29th August 2016, 08:26 PM
Hi hors,

Not sure there is any design rules , just look
at the regular handles that come from the manufacturers
And make one to your own design , what feels comfy and
looks right to you!
One thing is you do have to post pictures when it, s made:U.

Hors
30th August 2016, 06:38 AM
Thanks, first day at local club today so hoping to get to have a go, on a lathe

Will post piccys when done.

Christos
4th September 2016, 09:51 AM
Perhaps a little late as you said you would have been at the club. Then again maybe for future persons looking at this thread.

With my lathe tool handles I have a slightly thicker end. This gives me an indication where the end of the handle is and it sits in the hand like a wedge.

mick661
5th September 2016, 11:05 PM
When you have finished the handle remember to hit the handle on to the tang of the chisel not the other way around.
Mick

mick661
5th September 2016, 11:09 PM
By the way I am not a new member just cant be bothered trying to sort out my old membership if one of the moderators wants to sort that out that would be good.
Mick61

Paul39
15th September 2016, 02:52 AM
I recently bought one of these and found it comfortable:

Roughing Gouge HSS | NAREX BYSTŘICE s.r.o. (http://www.narextools.cz/en/roughing-gouge-hss-8194)

I have big hands and arthritis so I like fat tools to minimize cramping. My home made bowl gouge handles are big, fat and long. It is sometimes nice to tuck the end of a gouge in an armpit to steady a cut.

If you are going to be hogging out lots of timber with a 5/8 inch or larger bowl gouge, a fat front end and a strong ferrule will keep the gouge from tearing out of the handle.

I have used copper pipe, copper solder coupler fittings, and steel tubing. So far have not broken a handle, even with having a massive catch on an interrupted cut on a locust stump. That broke two # 10 screws and tore out two others, flinging the piece 20 feet out into the yard.

I have made a few handles from tapered table legs found on the street on trash day. I put the thick part toward the front. I also split quarters out of firewood and make handles from that. Those have been gently tapered from a fat middle.

All the shapes seem to work equally for me as long as they are fat enough.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th September 2016, 08:01 PM
What Smiife said.

Try a few different chisels at the club. Take note of what you like and what you don't. Not just shape and diameters, but lengths.

And don't get too uptight about making "matching" handles... with time you'll end up with a multitude of different chisels and I've found it is much, much quicker to identify the chisel I want from the plethora on my rack from the shape & colour of the handle.

Admittedly some of my older handle shapes are a tad uncomfortable for me to use for any great length of time now... but I'm not going to change them any time soon. They're all old friends and like any good friend I can live with their rough spots. :D

Mobyturns
17th September 2016, 08:57 PM
The most important part of the tool handle is the amount of remaining wood around the tool tang and between the ferrule. To little wood becomes a hazard, too much wood & the tool handle feels bulky & arkward. Both tools you mentioned require a substantial ferrule due to the potential loads placed on the tools in use.

powderpost
18th September 2016, 06:50 PM
What Smiife said.

Try a few different chisels at the club. Take note of what you like and what you don't. Not just shape and diameters, but lengths.

And don't get too uptight about making "matching" handles... with time you'll end up with a multitude of different chisels and I've found it is much, much quicker to identify the chisel I want from the plethora on my rack from the shape & colour of the handle.

Admittedly some of my older handle shapes are a tad uncomfortable for me to use for any great length of time now... but I'm not going to change them any time soon. They're all old friends and like any good friend I can live with their rough spots. :D

Could not agree more.

Jim

powderpost
18th September 2016, 07:00 PM
I did a wip for a chisel handle some time back, have a look here.. It may help you, there are some good tips there too.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/handle-81345

Jim

Drillit
19th September 2016, 10:41 AM
Have a look at the Easy Wood tool handles I think they are excellent. Drillit.

powderpost
22nd September 2016, 09:59 PM
I did a wip for a chisel handle some time back, have a look here.. It may help you, there are some good tips there too.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/handle-81345

Jim

Just discovered the photos for this wip have disappeared. If any one is interested enough I will see if I can find them on my computer.

Jim

Hors
23rd September 2016, 10:33 AM
Just discovered the photos for this wip have disappeared. If any one is interested enough I will see if I can find them on my computer.

Jim

That would be good.

powderpost
23rd September 2016, 11:30 PM
That would be good.

Will be easier to do a new wip in the morning. I need another handle any way. :)

Jim

powderpost
26th September 2016, 12:13 PM
As promised I have done a new W.I.P. for a handle, instead of tacking it on here I created a new thread.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/tool-handle-208872

Jim