PDA

View Full Version : digging a drainage trench

macklin
27th August 2005, 03:20 PM
Have just bought a home and when I mowed the back garden I found a trench about 12 inches wide by about 12 inches deep which goes down most of the back garden to the back fence.

It appears to be some kind of drainage from the overflow on the water tank as it is in direct line from the overflow pipe, however from the tank to the beginning of the trench it is covered with soil/grass so unless I dig it, I dont really know. At the moment the trench is full of water so I guess I will have to dig a trench to the back fence and then to the ditch at the back of the property and put pipes to the ditch to allow the water to drain. (which is where the problem is, I dont know if I am allowed to do this) but where else does the water go and how can I fill the trench ??????. There are 2 strips of distinct grass growing accross the garden at right angles from the septic leading into the ditch, ( which I think is a sign of pipes underground) any ideas before I get a shock from a plumber or whoever does the job.

Thank You

John Macklin

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th August 2005, 09:27 PM
Any chance it could be a backfilled trench that wasn't compacted properly?

Perhaps the overflow used to run under there and for some reason someone dug it up? Or there could be pipes under there somewhere, maybe aggie pipes; if aggies aren't properly bedded and backfilled settling can block the pipes, leaving what looks like a shallow trench full of water..

Hard to say without actually seeing it...

echnidna
27th August 2005, 09:33 PM
]here are 2 strips of distinct grass growing accross the garden at right angles from the septic leading into the ditch[/B], ( which I think is a sign of pipes underground) any ideas before I get a shock from a plumber or whoever does the job.

Thank You

John Macklin

Sounds like an overflow from the septic , probably illegal

johnc
27th August 2005, 10:18 PM
Might be worth your while to get a plumber to give you a bit of his time to have a look. Ordinary storm water can be directed to the gutter but yours sounds more of problem than that and something the previous owner should have been responsible for, these are the things an initial experts inspection should pick up and have rectified by the vendor who may still be liable for the bodgy plumbing job.

macklin
27th August 2005, 11:14 PM
What would happen if I went to the local council and asked there.

I guess I will probaly end up seeing a plumber or is it a drainer.

what makes me curious is that the water in the tank is about 18inches below the overflow, altho we have had a fair bit of rain which has probably not allowed the water in the trench to dry. There is no smell coming from the trench so would that mean it is not from the septic.

have to think this one out, and maybe do a bit of digging to trace any pipes.
At a bit of a loss really.

thanks for your replies
John Macklin

johnc
27th August 2005, 11:32 PM
Perhaps get a spade out and trace back to the pipes beginnings is a good start, it is not always the obvious and you might find the trench is just run off. Who knows perhaps its roof water, laundry waste you name it, or it just could be septic. Getting to the source gives you the question, and from that you or a plumber should be able to sort out the solution. Maybe just ring the old owner and ask what the damn thing was for in the first place, which might save a bit of work on your part if he has the answer.

echnidna
28th August 2005, 10:53 AM
I wouldnt ask council yet, to allow yourself time to sort it out.
Ask a plumber for an opinion.
The septic outlet could smell a bit, but not always.

macklin
28th August 2005, 02:47 PM
repiles noted and will be acted upon.

thank you for your replies

John Macklin