PDA

View Full Version : Thicknesser/table plane purchase?

Cb168321
3rd September 2016, 10:10 PM
What size machine would i require to realistically use for class 1 timbers e.g iron bark and tallow wood?

Approx 300mm to 400mm dimensioned timber 50 years old plus.

I have been told an entry-level hare&forbes would not be adequate given the species being used or at very least i would be making passes in the thousandths at a maximum.

Is it possible to purchase machines that would be capable or a job better out sourced to mills and the like with heavier machinery?

cava
3rd September 2016, 10:54 PM
How much realistically are you prepared to pay for a thicknesser/planer?

Cb168321
4th September 2016, 03:47 AM
I would say a thicknesser/table plane combo if possible, 1k to 2.5k depending on whats being offered.

It would appear at first glance the cast iron 1 tonne units are from a bygone era of machinery manufacturing such is the way especially in Aust.

Islander
4th September 2016, 08:58 AM
I bought a thicknesser/planer of the bygone era but it does not weigh a ton. Does 29 cm wide which is a bit of a draw back but otherwise does all I ask of it. Just make sure the knives are sharp and don't take off to much at one time. Cost of machine. $300. Did the same with my table saw. Cast iron made in NZ. Cost of machine $280 and my band saw. An old eagle 18 inch. Cost $250.$830 for the lot and found over time. Bought them even when not needed but very useful to me now that I have learnt what they really mean in a workshop. Always bought portable gear which has accuracy drawbacks as when one rents one never buys anything permanently. Any way, thats my 2 cents worth.