PDA

View Full Version : lEFT HANDED WOOD WORKERS

Dusty
27th August 2005, 07:26 PM
My thirteen year old step-son has a high degree of mechanical apptitude, is very creative, seems to know what tools would be good for creating his ideas, so all up I'm pleased for him.

My only problem is...he is left handed.
From a molly dooka's perpective can any of you left handers offer any suggestions. What I'm needing to know is...if you had your time again, would you prefered to of learn't to use tools, power tools in particular, in a right handed fashion, or would it of been better if someone had taught you to adapt to using right handed tools in a left handed way.

What's safer and more efficient?

I've noticed David Marks,from woodworks, on Foxtel is left handed and is a brilliant craftsman and I've noticed he is able to use many of the most dangerous tools right handed, but still looks a little awkward and uncomfortable.

Thanks for your time.

johnc
27th August 2005, 07:36 PM
As a left hander I have learnt to adapt, but that is not the case for everyone. It is a right handers world and for those of us who tend to the left but can have a foot in both camps adaption is the key. My advice would be to go with the flow, in the end with a bit of thought you can work around most hurdles and remain safe, ultimately it is a matter of hand placement and keeping safe.

JohnC

jacko
27th August 2005, 07:42 PM
I am also of the lefty crew, means that we are more creative, yes?
I have not notticed any dissadvantage, just use the tools in a safe way, don't feel any disadvantage. The only thing i have done is to mount my vice on the right hand end of my bench. Did this then read that it's a good idea! Not many tools are "handed" that i can think of, either that or I have adjusted and use them right handed without noticing. Now i will be watching me do everything in the shop! Almaost wish you hadn't brought it up!
jacko

echnidna
27th August 2005, 07:48 PM
I taught myself to use tools in either hand, can be a big help sometimes.

ozwinner
27th August 2005, 08:05 PM
Id give me right hand to be ambidextrious.

Al :D

Gingermick
27th August 2005, 08:06 PM
Sinister chaps. :mad:

Tankstand
27th August 2005, 08:23 PM
or would it of been better if someone had taught you to adapt to using right handed tools in a left handed way.

Nobody did that for me, it just comes naturally and I'm sure your lad will be fine also.

He may have to learn to use both hands if possible, it will make his life simpler.

spbookie
27th August 2005, 08:35 PM
Execellent question.

I'm afraid the answer is "it depends", not really useful but true. The depends bit is based on the how strongly left handed is your son. I am strongly left handed and if I tried to use any power tool more dangerous than a cordless drill in the wrong hand, blood would flow. A friend of mine is almost ambidextrous but leans to the left and he uses handtools left handed and power tools right handed.

Forcing a right handed approach on someone strongly left handed would be a recipe for disaster or just anoy the recipent so much they quit.

Below is some of the stuff I have picked up through bitter experience. It's pretty long but I hope it will help you.

Whenever I am about to use a power tool for the first time, I have a power off rehersal. It looks dumb but I am sure it has saved me from injury.

Some things I have noted:

Much more likely to have stuff flying at me, safety glasses and suitable clothing is a must.

Much harder to use or reach controls, when I am also supporting/feeding wood, this includes reaching off-buttons so I think about how I will make adjustments or turn tools off before I start.

Make sure the cut line will be visible as it is often obscured or becomes hidden as I use the tool.

All instructions and diagrams involving actions with my hands need a second look to see how to swap my hands over safely.

Lotsa little examples.
- Hand grinder sparks heading towards my body instead of away.
- Cutting lines of circular saws being obscured by the tool body and the sawdust being flung straight at me.
- Drill support handles on the wrong side.
- Mitre saws (CMS and SCMS) have the short side of the support table on the wrong side.
- The little locking buttons that keep drills, saws, planers, sanders running continously are under my palm instead of my thumb so sometimes the tool is locked on without me knowing.
- That same button often means that I have to shift my grip to disengage it so the tool doesn't cut off when I release the trigger, even if I yank the trigger to disengage the button.
- Most emergency cutoff switchs are designed to be reached by the wrong hand for me.
- Have to be very careful about twisting panels as I push them through the table saw as my dominant hand is pushing against the fence instead of feeding the wood.
- Vices on most benches are on the wrong end.
- Side mounted controls on machinery (eg switches and height adjusters for planers) are often the wrong side for how we want to hold and feed wood, the machine is frequently against the wrong wall (or facing the wrong way) so we can't stand on the "other" side.
- Tape measures are the right way for us, rulers are backward. Just about all measuring devices have the markings on the wrong side of the tool. Think verniers.
- Just about all "how-to-do-it" instructions and photographs are right handed, including some safety instructions
- Any tool that is designed to be held in one hand and adjusted with the other is backward. Many examples from setting a marking guages to loosening a bit on my router.
- Can't find left handed screwdrivers anywhere :)

Best advice I can offer is take your time, think about any possible dangers by using the tool left handed and plan around them.

outback
27th August 2005, 08:47 PM
Id give me right hand to be ambidextrious.

That's funny, someone was saying just the other day they thought you must have had both hands on your tool.

ozwinner
27th August 2005, 09:25 PM
Nuck, Nuck, Nuck :D

Al :confused:

gazaly
27th August 2005, 09:35 PM
Being one of the superior section of our species also :D, I have come up against hurdles every now and again WRT tool usage. The grinder being a great example.

For me it has just been a matter of improvise, adapt and overcome (thanks Clint). Like Jacko, I mounted my vise on the right.

Some of the jigs I have made, I mirrored to the original, to gain more comfort in use.

Perhaps a right hander (commoner) would not be able to work as well in my workshop as others. This is what I see as your sons biggest challenge. Your shop would be set up for you and how you like it, more than likely slanted to right hand application.

All this being said, your obviously highly intelligent son, being superior handed, will find his groove, and have great sucess. Just ensure what he does is safe and let him enjoy the challange!

That's my two cents, I'm Kent Brockman.

johnc
27th August 2005, 10:13 PM
My vice is also on the right, and the lock down buttons on power tools can be murder and I have come undone a couple of times. I would echo Spbookie's comments. Not being a real left hander just a bit to the left makes my life a bit easier, however SCMS, cut lines and the rest describes the life of a leftie and you just adapt and adjust.

seanr
28th August 2005, 01:26 AM
I'm a lefty and never really thought of it . I,m no woodworker however more of a backyard woodbutcher . However never had aproblem being left handed .

JDarvall
28th August 2005, 08:56 AM
From what I've read. Most left handers are not strong left handers anyway. The population is divided into strong right handers and non-handers. Meaning, left handers tend to use both hands to get by, and not necessarily because their forced to. From what I've read, there are few strong left handers.

I'm left handed. And I'm that way. Use different hands all the time.

I think if your son is having trouble with a tool, its not necessarily because he's left handed. Its mostly because he's new to the tool altogether. IMO.

Good to learn how to use other hand well anyway. There are times when it is easier being able to use left hand well. Like .....when the grain reverses while hand planing. You don't have to reclamp work, all you do is swap hands over.

I think also what makes it hard to learn how to use other hand sometimes, is.....your supporting hand doesn't feel used to the change, just as much as your strong one. ie. Your'll be blaming your weak hand for stuffing up, when really what could be happening is that your strong hands stuffing up because its not supporting strongly enough. ....at least with me anyway.

Dusty
28th August 2005, 09:19 AM
WOW. So many lefties.

Thanks for your efforts here, as much of your imput can help me to help him, if you get what I mean. :)

His mother has read this thread, and all she could say was,"Here's an idea! Keep him out of the effen garage" :D :D I thought it was pretty funny.

SPBookie, like you, my son seems to be pretty full on left handed, so I'll be making sure that I stress the importance of him rehearsing any action he might be doing with a power tool, before turning the tool on. This one thing will make a world of difference to both his saftey and enjoyment with power tools. Thanks for your thoughts.

And having started this thread has lead me to think about my own skills in the shop and i've concluded that I'm actually ambidextrous myself.
Yep! I'm awkward on both sides of my body :o :o :D

mic-d
28th August 2005, 09:54 AM
I agree that most lefties adapt to a right-hand world, as I have. I can use most hand held tools (except scissors!) either-handed. The most dangerous thing that's happened to me is one lefty mentioned, which is inadvertant pressing of a trigger locking buttton on a powerful drill, which was ripped from my hand and did not stop until it had bent a 10mm drill and pulled the power by wrapping the cord around its body! :eek:
Verinier callipers really peeve me because they really must be used right-handed or you have to juggle them.
I think using drills lefthanded has a benefit - the left hand holding the pistol grip allows it to pull out without getting a twist injury.

Cheers
Michael

Captain Chaos
28th August 2005, 10:44 AM
G'day all,
I'm a "southpaw" & manage pretty well working with most tools & machinery, but I do have a big problem trying to use power planers & saws etc..
I've tried to adjust my stance & how I hold them, e.g. as a right handed person would, but it feels awkward & unsafe. Sooo, I guess thatI've gotten used to the idea that I'm doomed to using hand tools, powered by that little Mexican bloke - "Manual Labour.":eek: :D
Is that what is referred to in UBWWF posts as 'going over to the dark side?'
If so I've been there pretty well all my life.:confused::)
Regards,
Barry.

journeyman Mick
28th August 2005, 11:53 AM
Dusty,
I'm a "rightie" but can use my left for a fair bit. Seeing so many people have commented on the locking buttons you may want to remove or disable them. I find them a pain in the butt myself, even when using tools right handed. I think the only tools I ever lock the triggers on are sanders, and you're hardly likely to injure yourself with one of them ('cept a belt sander maybe).

Mick

Stubchain
28th August 2005, 07:58 PM
I do not have any problems, I'm predominently left handed but really amphibious, I can use both hands for many things including sawing etc. It comes in handy sometimes. Because we live in a right handed world, many left hande people can do more with their right hands than right handed can do with thier left.

Before anyone writes a reply, yes I do know the difference between amphibious and ambidextrous, it was my little attempt at humour. I get a lot of funny looks when I state I'm amphibious, you might want to try it. Both Leonard Di Vinci and Michelangelo were both left handed, not that it means anything, they must have used right handed chistels and paint brushes though.

Has anyone ever seen a left handed hammer, I have. it had a moulded pistol like grip for the left thumb.

ozwinner
28th August 2005, 08:07 PM
Ive got a right handed trowel.

outback
28th August 2005, 08:16 PM
Got any left handed screwdrivers in that there craporium?

ozwinner
28th August 2005, 08:34 PM
Ive got a right handed trowel.

No, true, Ive got a right handed trowel, you can also get a left handed trowel.
The cutting edge of the trowel dictates what hand it is.

E. maculata
28th August 2005, 08:55 PM
My Mum & Gran are/were ambi, FIL is really a leftie but had it belted out of him at school, I lean to the left sorta 55/45, SWMBO diehard leftie, Mini SWMBO 60/40 to the left and the little Guy is right handed :eek: but also seems to like his left for some stuff (he's only 4 1/2), make of it what you will.

junkboy999
28th August 2005, 10:07 PM
There are several Chop saws on the market that have the handle monuted in the middle for both hands and 2 on the market with motors on the left. One with the motor mounted above the blade ( DeWALT ).

Makita makes a circuler saw with " Blade Left design "

I have even seen taps in a Left-hand-shop. If you hold it in your left hand and pull tape the tape out to your right the nembers are right. As a right hander I would rather have a tape like that.

I have a drill that a lefty would love. the power lock can be reached buy both hands using it. But the fed/rev buttom is more suited for a lefty. A left hand forfinger push will make the drill turn forward and your thumb would made it go reverse, completly different them all my other drills. So even us righty feel your pain :)

KeithP
28th August 2005, 10:56 PM
As a left hander I have adapted to the righthanders world. The only annoying thing that I find, is that when using some hand held power tools, the button which engages the switch to stay on is inadvertantly set. Which means that the tool is still running when I release the trigger.

Pedro

Dusty
28th August 2005, 11:02 PM
Still more informative input. Thanks everyone.

With what I've garnered from your help I feel quite confident in teaching him good saftey and work ethics.

Currently I'm teaching him a few chords on the guitar and have strung one left handed for him. It's actually pretty cool, cause when he's sitting opposite it's just a mirror of what I'm doing.

Mick I like the idea of disabling a few of the trigger locks on certain tools. might save some grief.

JDarvall
28th August 2005, 11:12 PM
Has anyone ever seen a left handed hammer, I have. it had a moulded pistol like grip for the left thumb.

Pulling my leg ???? :confused: maybe not ? ......you see, the only time I've heard of a left handed hammer was in a joke ; where your having fun with the young bloke; getting him searching for the left handed hammer from the back of the ute.