PDA

View Full Version : Router circle cutting guide

snoboardn42
28th August 2005, 05:37 AM
Ok,
here's the problem. I am making a custom speaker box in car. And in order for me to finish it, I need to purchase a circle cutting guide. But I do not know what one I should purchase or what one will fit. I need it to cut circles as big as 18" and as small as 5". I recently purchased the Porter Cable 893PK. All of the guides that I have already seen do not list my router as one of the compatible routers for that set. So I wasn't sure which one I should get and what ones will fit my router. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Ross

Template Tom
28th August 2005, 01:03 PM
Why not make your own circle cutting JIG from a piece of Plywood or even MDF
Tom

doug the slug
28th August 2005, 02:00 PM
Why not make your own circle cutting JIG from a piece of Plywood or even MDF
Tom

Spot on, Tom.
snoboardr, they dont even have to be as complicated as the ones in the image above. for the small number of circles you need to cut i wouldnt waste money on buying one and i wouldnt want to waste toomuch time on making any elaborate jigs

Template Tom
28th August 2005, 02:15 PM
Ok,
here's the problem. I am making a custom speaker box in car. And in order for me to finish it, I need to purchase a circle cutting guide. But I do not know what one I should purchase or what one will fit. I need it to cut circles as big as 18" and as small as 5". I recently purchased the Porter Cable 893PK. All of the guides that I have already seen do not list my router as one of the compatible routers for that set. So I wasn't sure which one I should get and what ones will fit my router. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Ross
There is a little confusion in my mind as to what you are obout to purchase You first talk of a 'Circle Cutting Guide'. Then you talk about all of the guides that you have already purchased not suitable for your router from that set???? I think you may be talking about Template Guides (Guide Bushes) that come in a set. What is Porter Cable 893PK???
The previous posting I submitted showed a variety of home made circle cutting jigs which are simple to make with the simpliest of them the one on the left Trammel
Tom

doug the slug
28th August 2005, 02:23 PM
Tom, he just wants a basic circle cutting jig, my son has just gone through this same exercise

Template Tom
28th August 2005, 02:33 PM
Tom, he just wants a basic circle cutting jig, my son has just gone through this same exercise

Doug
Nothing more basic for a circle cutting jig than the first drawing
Tom

Firewalker
29th August 2005, 02:04 AM
Tom, those images are great. I may have to get inside your brain and camp out when I start building fences.

Snow, you should easily be able to make a simple circle guide using a strip of wood.

If you decide against it you can use the string method to draw the circle, then cut it with a jig saw. (this is how I used to do it when I was into sub box building) Granted the circles will not be as round but using the top mount it will be covered.

You mentioned needing several sizes of holes and that made me curious what design you are using. If you are using multiple drivers in the same enclosure be sure to build a separate box to isolate the mids/tweets (unless you are using horn style self contained) Otherwise the bass note will suppress the mids cone movement.

Forgive me if I am telling you stuff you already know. Best of luck with your project.

johna
29th August 2005, 06:08 PM
you can get some cheap ones which will work with any router. They don't have pre-drilled holes, you drill them in yourself to suite the base of your router.
I bought one ages ago for the same purpose, as i do alot of car audio installs i use to build alot fo custom boxes for cars.
The results are great with these cheap circle cutting jigs.

Here is the result from my last project which was in my car
http://www.acap.net.au/pics/john/WRX/new%20install/boot005.jpg
http://www.acap.net.au/pics/john/WRX/new%20install/finished03.jpg

Harry72
30th August 2005, 12:32 AM
Hmmm Tru audio and Phoenix Gold, few dollars worth there!
Nice install very neat.

johna
30th August 2005, 03:27 PM
thank you.

and its all up for sale, the stereo, and soon the car :(
will miss my baby

John Saxton
30th August 2005, 08:31 PM
Heres another link for a circle cutting jig for routers...its a video so give it time to load.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/wvt114.asp

Cheers :)