PDA

View Full Version : This weekend's timber haul

Poppa
11th September 2016, 06:47 PM
Many thanks to Peter57, who posted a thread in the marketplace about a gumtree ad for a garage sale with timber in the Wollondilly area this weekend. I won't give away the actual location because the owner is not a member here, and he's moving anyway. I went yesterday and picked up some metal files, watch and clock parts and a couple of hammer heads. And 3 smallish redgum slabs, all from the same tree (1 curly slab at 95cm long x5cm thick x60cm wide, 1 straight piece at 147cmx5x55, and one large y junction with a few gaps at 140x5x50-100). Then I went back today, and picked up 7 river redgum planks (all 300cmx5x20), 1 smaller piece from the same tree (297x2.5cmx20), 2 planks of what we think is ironbark (353x5x14), an unknown heavy reddish plank (240x3.5x16), and 2 chunks of river redgum (1 at 66x15x37, 1 at 110x15x40. Plus 2 slabs of sequoia (1 at 100cm long x 14cm thick x 60cm wide, and 1 at 102x13x60), which will be enough for me to make into furniture. Enough timber to satisfy my cravings for quite a while, and all at what I thought was very reasonable prices (for a cash-starved bloke like me). Some pics attached. All of the timber has been outside for some years drying and is all ready to use. There is the typical greying, and some twisting or cupping of the redgum planks, which is to be expected. I expect I will use most of it for furniture, but there will also be some for bowl turning, and plenty for pens and such. Some of the redgum is figured quite beautifully and I think will be exceptionally fine timber. And as is typical with redgum, there are quite a few checks that will require filling or working around.

Poppa
11th September 2016, 06:51 PM
First pic is the unknown timber. Quite heavy, hard as gum. Dark flecks.
Second pic is the pile.
Third is the sequoia with the larger redgum chunk leaning against it.
Next 2 are of the smaller, curly redgum chunk.
Next 2 are the redgum planks.
Next 2 are the sequoia slabs on top of the redgum slabs.
The 10th is the larger redgum chunk, a really heavy bit of timber.
And the last two are a couple of shots of what we think is the ironbark.

crow400
11th September 2016, 11:15 PM
Well done Bob - looks enough for a week or 2 of fun.

Bruce