PDA

View Full Version : Dingo Mini Excavators

Strungout
28th August 2005, 02:18 PM
Hi,

I am shortly going to do some "Landscaping"renovating and I want to remove the turf that is there and level off the existing yard,which has a hump in the middle of it.

I was thinking of hiring one of the DINGO MINI EXCAVATORS but I dont know if they will do the job.

Any one used them for this kind of work?

TIA

Greg

Wood Butcher
28th August 2005, 03:26 PM
I used a dingo to remove the grass where my shed went. Having used them several times before I had a great time but for a newbie they do take about an hour to really master. Make sure you get the 4 in 1 bucket and the ripper tynes for removing the grass, makes a big difference if you use the rippers and just run up and down the area before trying to pull up the grass.

echnidna
28th August 2005, 04:04 PM
handy for removing tree stumps too

Iain
28th August 2005, 07:09 PM
And about $350 a day, not $50 as quoted on one of those home improvement shows.
Get a quote from a pro too as it could be cheaper.
I was going to hire one to dig a trench and the local plumber did it for me for $135.

Harry72
28th August 2005, 07:30 PM
They are excellent for doing dounuts!
If you hire one try and get a diesel as the petrol ones are guttless wonders.
I drive them at work... great workout for your forarms from holding on and if you have any Carp tunnel problems do not drive one, they are harder to drive than a bobcat because the same fingers you hold the handles with you must operate the levers with!

Wood Butcher
28th August 2005, 07:37 PM
And about $350 a day, not $50 as quoted on one of those home improvement shows.
Get a quote from a pro too as it could be cheaper.
I was going to hire one to dig a trench and the local plumber did it for me for $135.

Very valid point. Every time that I have hired I make sure that I have a lot to do or I split the day with a friend.

D-I-Yer
13th July 2006, 03:37 PM
"active hire" does a weekend deal, pick it up on fri 3pm ,return it mon 6am all for around $250 i think they charge an extra $45 to use their trailer, but i have my own 6 foot long is big enough

Pulpo
13th July 2006, 05:08 PM
Personally I find them a waste of money.

I have used them on three occasions, with various attachments.

Around $80 an hour for a professional with bobcat is a better investment.

Generally a bobcat is more powerful.

If digging a trench be prepared for the chain to come off.

For that matter, it might not work properly [I spent an hour fixing one].

They weigh a fair bit, so be aware if towing.

Good Luck

Pulpo

Bluegum
13th July 2006, 08:18 PM
Pulpo,

I tend to agree with you mate. A good operator will have your job done in a fraction of the time that it could take using a dingo.

Wood Butcher
13th July 2006, 08:34 PM
But the Dingo is so much FUN!!!! (seriously fun)

I used to be able to hire one for $180 per day. Now I have had alot of experience on them so I can do a lot with one. I found it especially great for tasks that are stop/start. You couldn't justify paying a bobcat operator to sit there while you do something to get to the next phase! (and no I can't think of an example at the moment, total mind blank:()

boban
13th July 2006, 09:30 PM
If your ground is hard, then forget the Dingo. It will do nothing.

I've used a variety of equipment including the Dingo. It's a good powered wheelbarrow.

I'm with Pulpo on this one. Even a bobcat will struggle to remove large amounts of clay based soils. A little excavator is probably the best for the job. His mud bucket will do the job well and quickly.

Bodgy
13th July 2006, 09:57 PM
Having helped at a mate's place where he used a Dingo, with an operator, I think the only reason to use one is when you can't get access with a Bobcat, which was the case here.

Bluegum
21st July 2006, 08:35 PM
I work part time as an operator and Dingos have there place but do struggle from time to time. IMHO a combo set up with bobcat and excavator are the way to go.

tcns
21st July 2006, 09:58 PM
I have used two different ones, dingo diesel, and a kanga diesel, the kanga had more horse power and a bucket with teeth as opposed to the flat edge bucket.

I cut my block across the backyard to level it off, I hired it for two days and got 3 for the long weekend, to be honest - the 4-in-1 bucket and the trencher make an excellent combination for digging - I couldn't fault it
worked well in clay soil and I achieve everything I needed to

For the cost of an operator - around here $95 minimum call out, +$95 1 hour minimum + dumping fee $?? + return to base charge $50

that is a min outlay of $250 for 1 hours work - I had the dingo for 3 days for that worked at my own pace, used it to dig out 4 trees/shrubs, pulled down 4 palm trees with it, and loaded them into the trailer with it, cut an leveled a 10m x20m section of my yard ...

I figure I am way ahead

Tom

Rossluck
22nd July 2006, 10:06 AM
Personally I find them a waste of money.

I have used them on three occasions, with various attachments.

Around $80 an hour for a professional with bobcat is a better investment.

Generally a bobcat is more powerful.

If digging a trench be prepared for the chain to come off.

For that matter, it might not work properly [I spent an hour fixing one].

They weigh a fair bit, so be aware if towing.

Good Luck

Pulpo

I agree with Pulpo. I own one, and they're not really powerful enough to slice turf off efficiently. I see a lot of locals hiring them, having a run with them for half an hour and then letting them sit there for half a day. It's better to hire a bobcat operator and find an hour's work for him or her (political correctness;) ).

By the way, Pulpo, If the trencher chain kept coming off, there was a problem with the machine, i.e., loose chain, worn sprockets, worn chain, or misalignment.

baltic
22nd July 2006, 10:18 AM
They are small, and good, but can still do a lot of damage!!
Dial before you dig!!

Rossluck
22nd July 2006, 10:48 AM
Dial before you dig!!

OOOOPPPS!!!

tcns
22nd July 2006, 03:50 PM
Dial before you dig!!

looks a lot like a power cable !