PDA

View Full Version : Cut to size plywood

FiOZ
15th September 2016, 12:45 AM
Hi guys,

a bit embarrassed because my first post is a question concerning simple plywood, but anyway: if not here, where else would I get an answer?

To fix the floor of a shed I need a piece of marine plywood (A A/A rated, fairly water-resistant). Result of a look into the www leads to a lot of suppliers here in the Sydney area, some offering cutting services but all only selling whole sheets.
I moved to OZ from Europe a while ago. If you need any sort of engineered sheet-wood you simply go to a hardware store and they happily cut to size and sell by the square meter, whatever little or much you need there, easy as.
Is there any place in Sydney you know that offers this kind of service, or do all DIY'ers stock loads of surplus sheet-wood they have left over from projects they do?
Thanks a lot.

Ghallahad
15th September 2016, 03:04 PM
I believe this is just the case of sheet goods here in Aus. You will quickly learn that we get rorted compared to the US and Europe, especially with ply. People in the US are making workshop items out of birch ply and here that would just be unheard of as it is so expensive. The best you will probably get is maybe a half sheet size. I throw out left over ply all the time because of this.

Big Shed
15th September 2016, 03:11 PM
Bunnings sell 1/4 sheets (1220x610mm) of marine ply in various thicknesses

https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/building-hardware/building-boards/structural-plywood/marine-plywood

bsrlee
24th September 2016, 09:57 PM
Mr Ply and Wood have a cut to size service at most if not all of their outlets. As the outlets are 'franchises' I think their pricing policy for part sheets varies from store to store, but the one I have dealt with sold part sheets based on area plus the cost of cutting, but that was only a dollar or two per cut extra. They also had a rack of 'off cut' part sheets which you could buy from and either take home to cut to size or they would cut to your measurements.

Unfortunately most timber yards these days only crosscut timer to length if at all and the last one I knew of with a panel saw closed 20 years ago. That is the price we pay for a mindless OH&S bureaucracy and huge conglomerates crushing small business.