PDA

View Full Version : planer thicknesser and plans for day bed

Nitro140
28th August 2005, 06:42 PM
I would firstly like to say that this site is fantastic

I'm going to be in the market for a planer thicknesser in the near future and would like to get some input from some of you. A friend has a sherwood which seems to go OK. please give your thoughts on what size and make would be a good way to go baring in mind that I'm only starting out

I'm currently planning to make a large day bed/bench to fit a double bed sized matress to go outside, I will be making it out of Jarrah
I'm not sure how to construct the base so if any of you have any ideas or plane for something like this it would be great

thanks

Paul

la Huerta
28th August 2005, 07:04 PM
no matter what anybody else says , the heavy duty 15 in models are infinitly better then the portables, look at ones like the carbatec ctj381 ,or ctj680 , there are heaps of companies selling the same machine just with a different badge and colour...but if you must have a portable than go for the makita or dewalt, there trade tools and will outlast the cheapies 10 to 1, but they are still pricey for a little machine, better to save up a little extra and and go for the 15in...especially if it's going to be heavy hardwood...

j.stevens
28th August 2005, 07:33 PM
ofa
I would firstly like to say that this site is fantastic

I'm going to be in the market for a planer thicknesser in the near future and would like to get some input from some of you. A friend has a sherwood which seems to go OK. please give your thoughts on what size and make would be a good way to go baring in mind that I'm only starting out

I'm currently planning to make a large day bed/bench to fit a double bed sized matress to go outside, I will be making it out of Jarrah
I'm not sure how to construct the base so if any of you have any ideas or plane for something like this it would be great

thanks

PaulI just finished a sofa bed. Converts from a setee type to a lie down double bed. Its in Australian Woodsmith No. 38. There were a few problems with measurements which I unravelled. So can advise if needed.

j.stevens
28th August 2005, 07:39 PM
More on the day-bed/sofa bed. See pictures I posted 4 weeks ago on
picture site.

la Huerta
30th August 2005, 12:11 AM
here's a contempory daybed , it may give you some ideas...

Nitro140
30th August 2005, 11:29 PM
thanks for the info guys, not sure if some of you thought I was speaking of just a thicknesser, but I was asking in regards to a planer thicknesser as I was under the impression that you need to plane the wood first before thicknessing it to make sure your stock is square and straight

hopefully I will complete the day bed and post it on the pics quite soon

happy woodworking to you all

cheers

Paul