PDA

View Full Version : Black Walnut bowls.

Kuffy
17th September 2016, 03:19 PM
The timber for these came from a 3" thick walnut slab I acquired recently. It had the pith running straight down the guts of the slab and there was some significant surface cheks throughout both faces so I chopped it up into circles to make some bowls.

I made two bowls. The first little one started life as a ~190mm dia x 70mm thick blank. The bowl ended up being 130mm dia x 35mm high. I lost a bit of diameter due to some cheks I preferred to remove. And then I lost about half the height on two occasions when I was roughing out the inside of the bowl. I caught the lip of the bowl with the wing of my gouge and it quickly pared away 10mm of material and then ripped a chunk off the lip! I also made the tenon too big and the chuck jaws left its mark :shrug: The little one was just a warm up for the bigger good one.

The next one I made from a blank ~185dia x 68mm thick. The finished bowl ended up being 177mm dia x 58mm high. This one turned very well and I had the outside shape roughed out ready for sanding within 3 minutes of screwing it onto the chuck. I was mighty impressed with myself, but realise it was more luck than any competence. The finish is two coats of sanding sealer, then EEE ultrashine, then 2 light coats of Shellawax. I am happy with this one, happy enough that I can sell it.

Gabriel
17th September 2016, 03:27 PM
Great looking finish and a really nice curve to the inside of the larger bowl.... shame about the catches you were getting on the first piece.

I found with the small amount of (usa) walnut I have worked with that it was quite soft (I guess comparing it to the aussie hardwoods) so was fun to turn as I didn't need to spend half my life at the sharpening station.

smiife
17th September 2016, 07:52 PM
Hi kuffy,,
They both look very nice, I do prefer the shape
of the first one , just my opinion :U
Well done :2tsup:

Kuffy
17th September 2016, 08:27 PM
The shape of the 2nd one is the way it is so I could cut out a deep check in the timber. Otherwise I would have just done a plain jane common shape bowl.

dai sensei
18th September 2016, 07:05 PM
Hi kuffy,,
They both look very nice, I do prefer the shape
of the first one , just my opinion :U
Well done :2tsup:

+1 :cool: