PDA

View Full Version : Case for reading glasses

NCArcher
17th September 2016, 08:12 PM
I've recently returned to competitive archery after a 7 year absence and among the things that have changed is my eyesight.
We now use smart phones to score after each end (group of 6 arrows) and the scores are transmitted directly to the Archery Australia database as we enter them.
Great system and I really like it but I need to wear my reading glasses to see the phone screen clearly. My reading glasses are prescription and fairly expensive so I need to look after them and protect them from breakage but still have them readily accessible.
I'm going to try a leather case carried on my quiver belt. The front of the case will be wet moulded and then hand stitched to the back.

I made a mould this afternoon out of whatever I could find lying around.
Cased the leather (soaked it thoroughly in water), and clamped it into the mould.
It will need to stay in there for a couple of days till it dries.

q9
18th September 2016, 12:24 AM
Did you round the inner edge of the mould?

I want to try a moulded project, but have next to no way to make a mould...could be an issue. Anyhow, keep the updates coming :)

FenceFurniture
18th September 2016, 08:48 AM
My reading glasses are prescription and fairly expensive so I need to look after them and protect them from breakage but still have them readily accessible.Or a substitute pair from the Chemist for such tasks?

NCArcher
18th September 2016, 08:57 AM
Yes the inner edge is rounded. I just used a roundover bit in a trim router.
The mould pieces were made with hand saws and planes and shaped with a Liogier rasp. The rasp is brilliant.
I haven't had much of chance to use it since I got it but it is a pleasure to work with.
If I had a shed :( I'd make permanent moulds from solid timber and give them a couple of coats of poly so they wouldn't be effected by the water.
I reckon I will get 2 or maybe three uses from this mould before it falls apart.

NCArcher
18th September 2016, 09:02 AM
Or a substitute pair from the Chemist for such tasks?
My eyes are deteriorating more rapidly than I like and the cheapies dont really cut it any more.
Besides, I need all the points I can get with my current form. I wouldn't want to enter a lower score by mistake because I couldn't see the screen clearly.:oo: I might ACCIDENTALLY enter a higher score occasionally.:wink:

NCArcher
21st September 2016, 08:04 PM
The leather came out of the mould after a little over 24 hrs.
It was then trimmed roughly to size.

A little refining of the shape of the cover and cut out the belt loop.

And then a little bit of tooling just because I can. :U
You may ask "Why is there a skull & crossbones on the belt loop?"
I would answer "Why wouldn't there be"

The case has now been dyed, had a coat of neatsfoot oil and then a coat of acrylic sealer.
I also burnished the edges, that are at finished dimensions, with the new drill mounted burnishing tool made by Sawdustmaker.
When that is dry I will stitch it together and trim it to it's final shape.

FenceFurniture
21st September 2016, 10:00 PM
You may ask "Why is there a skull & crossbones on the belt loop?"Man you must be popular with the ladies. THREE left arms! All with hands?

NCArcher
21st September 2016, 10:19 PM
Man you must be popular with the ladies.
Why yes, yes I am. Thankyou for noticing.
Olympic archery symbol from I can't remember which games.

NCArcher
21st September 2016, 10:33 PM
The case is clamped in the stitching pony, ready to have the belt loop attached.
The pony just holds the workpiece at a good height and makes it easier to stitch as I handstitch using a saddle stitch which uses 2 needles and both hands.

The top part of the belt loop is stitched on.
Beside it are the stitching chisels I use to make the holes.
Traditionalists use an awl to punch the holes as they go but I'm neither a traditionalist nor very good at it. :-

I used to glue the parts to be stitched with contact adhesive so they wouldn't move while punching the holes and stitching but I discovered this double sided seam tape.
Magic stuff. Highly recommended.

The belt loop is now stitched on to the back.

Bushmiller
21st September 2016, 11:09 PM
Very nice Tony.

Regards
Paul

q9
22nd September 2016, 02:05 PM
Mould worked out well!

Haven't seen many people advocating using an awl over pricking irons these days. Has its place of course, but not much point in making life difficult for yourself.

I really should get a few more projects underway. Time to visit the wholesaler again...

NCArcher
22nd September 2016, 04:16 PM
I don't know if you frequent leatherworker.net but there was a heated discussion there a while ago. It's a bit like sharpening freehand or Bevel Up vs Bevel Down on these forums. Lot of old timers saying that using the chisels is cheating and not REAL leather work. :D

q9
22nd September 2016, 04:40 PM
Do those same people run out and catch their own cows?

Nah, I hadn't heard of that forum. Just watch some really good YouTube's from time to time. I just wanna make stuff, not have an existential debate about whether it is "really" making if you use modern tools.

NCArcher
22nd September 2016, 05:49 PM
Holes are punched

Stitching underway

For the non leather workers among you, I am saddle stitching which uses one piece of thread with a needle on either end. The needles pass through the same hole from opposite sides, crossing the threads back and forth to make a very strong stitch. It's time consuming but very therapeutic for some reason :) The stitching pony makes it much easier to do.

NCArcher
22nd September 2016, 10:10 PM
Stitching is done. If you think it's hard to see the black thread against the black leather, try stitching it. I need a better light.

Trimmed to size. Edges dyed and burnished and a final coat of sealer.

Tried to get a photo of the burnished edges. Done with the Sawdustmaker 5000 - Ultimate Burnisher
Sits very nicely on the quiver. I'll give it a run on Sunday.
Thanks for looking.

q9
22nd September 2016, 10:17 PM
A personal thing, but I prefer the thread to contrast with the leather. Anyhow, nice job!

I've got a couple of...ummm...11 or 15 watt led flood lights which are ridiculously bright with the added advantage of not free sauna from excess heat. So there's an idea for you.

Scally
22nd September 2016, 11:27 PM
Great job NC.
I didn't realise how talented you were.

I hope the very flash case improved your score.

Sawdust Maker
23rd September 2016, 06:12 PM
Man you must be popular with the ladies. THREE left arms! All with hands?

He's popular with the ladies because he wears leather! :fisch:

I'm glad the sawdustmaker 5000 was a success

shedbound
23rd September 2016, 09:15 PM
Nice job there, reminds me I should start some of the things I've been wanting to start,